Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Cleaning & Repairing an OS50 SX

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 01:40 PM
GadgetMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning & Repairing an OS50 SX

Well, I finally did it. Was thinking too much about the sun this morning while trying to shoot an approach and didn't pay attention to how low and slow I was. Did a snap stall at 20 feet trying to turn on final (that seemingly tiny tail wind didn't help). Amazingly, the wings held. However, everything forward of the wing was smashed. I wanted some advice on cleaning/repairing the engine. The needle valve assembly snapped off, but the needle valve itself seems (?) fine.

I am assuming that I want to replace the Cover Plate, but I am not sure about the needle valve. Before I order the replacement part(s) I wanted to get some opinions.
I can think of three choices:
(1) Just replace the cover plate and don't worry about the needle valve. When I'm done with the cleaning process ( http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=2&ID=24 ) just install the new plate.
(2) Wait until I clean the engine and test run it to decide what to do about the needle valve. If its okay only replace the cover plate.
(3) Just order the entire Cover Plate Assembly now, assume the needle valve is toast.

Another question related to the cleaning/reassembly process, should I replace the gasket that goes with the cover plate?
Old 07-10-2004, 12:50 AM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cleaning & Repairing an OS51 SX

If you like, give this a try. Clean everything. Then, glue your needle assembly back to the cover plate with JB Weld. It will hold very well until your next crash. Then you can glue it on again. Seriously, JB Weld will hold it fine and save you a few bucks. You can use your old gasket unless you tear it in the removal process. I have glued the needle assembly back twice now and the motor still runs like new.

Mark