Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

norvel engine opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 05:01 PM
Toro1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default norvel engine opinions.

Does anyone out here have any opinions about the 1/2A norvel engines. Im looking to make a little screamer out of a Lanier Dominator 200. I Think I might look @ sticking an .09 on it, or a .074 Well see what the size is once Im finished. Let me know opinions good or bad.

J
Old 07-30-2003, 06:21 PM
ZB50

I have a Dominator 200 with a big mig .061. This is pleanty of power for this plane. Using 25% sig fuel and an apc 6-3 prop, my Dominator would leap from my hand. I want to lend from my experience with this kit for a minute. First, this kit comes with zilch hardware, be advised. Also, space is super cramp in the fuse and wing for your rc gear. The smaller the better. I used HS-81 servos, a home made 270 ma pack and a Hi-tec 555 rx. I even made a fuel tank out of a small plastic bottle. The plans reccomend a sullivan 1 0z round tank.

I'll try to find a photo of it.

Good luck,

ZB
Old 07-30-2003, 06:58 PM
LouW

I have a big mig .061 in a plans built airplane. It is a fantastic little engine. I run a 7-3 propeller and use Red Max 15% nitro fuel. It is easy to start and idles good. The spring mounted muffler can be a pain, but once everything is mounted, you don’t have to deal with it.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:18 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

My Norvel .074 is a screamer. I have the plans for a Waco PG-2 WWII, powered troop carrier glider that was developed from the CG-4A that was used for the Airborne on D-Day. There were only 10 PG-2's made, one with a Franklin and 9 with Fairchild engines. The idea was to fly back for another trip. Rommel was too smart and put up what was called asparagus, 10 ft poles spaced to wreck gliders. The first PG-2 I made was too heavy for the electrics I tried so the next will have two Norvel .074's. It is still a glider and will probably fly like one. Incidentally the 10 PG-2's were given to the RAF who used them for, guess what, glider tugs. One cheap history lesson. No extra charge.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:09 AM
Toro1
My Feedback: (2)

ball,

Thanks for the lesson, you know me a glider geek, who likes to mix it up in the power circus every now and then. Glad to see that all of the comments are positive. I think Ive locked my descision.

JB

NO SINK, NO ASPARAGUS.