Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum 4 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Ledet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum 4 stroke

What is your opinion of the Magnum XL 80RFS 4 stroke?
Old 07-28-2004, 09:33 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Magnum 4 stroke

well I have to say mine is a keeper!!!! I only have 2 mag 4 bangers .91 and the .80... the .80 run's better and seems to pull just as hard as the 91. my .91 turns an APC 14x6 at right around 9500RPM ready to fly... not bad not great either. The .80 turns up an APC 13x6 at 10,000 ready to fly... I haven't put on a 14x6 yet however I'm fairly sure it will turn up about the same as the .91 . The .80 transitions MUCH better and seems to have a broader throttle range. my .91 runs fine and transitions well just not as clean as the .80 it also does not seem to respond much once you hit just over half throttle... in other words there is little difference from just over half to full throttle... the engine is in a spit so it's really not an issue. both engines were easy to break-in and tune. the only issue I've had so far was low idle with the .91 inverted... remote glow was the only cure, no matter how I tuned it just was not reliable at idle, tried a bunch of different plugs 10% 15% and 20% nitro... nothing worked except the remote glow. the only down side is the weight... compared to my saito's it heavy and it's certainly not a looker like the saito's... of course magnums are a lot less money considering the sale price right now of 129.99 it's a lot of bang for your buck.

John
Old 07-30-2004, 03:57 PM
Jerry Sigur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump! Anyone else? I'm considering buying one of these also.
Jerry
Old 07-30-2004, 06:38 PM
iowanspctr

I bought a .91 for my Sig Senior. Haven't run it yet, but the guys in the club like them a lot! Hope to start breaking it in this week-end, I intend to run Sig 10% with 20% half and half and then switch to Omega 15% to run. I know it's too much power, but it does have a throttle and cameras and bomb drops sound neat!
Old 07-31-2004, 12:25 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No experience with the 80 but if it is like the 91's, it should be great. We have several in our club and all extremely satisfactory.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:59 AM
mikedsilva

I have had a mixed experience with my magnum 4 strokes. I currently own a 61 and a 91. I bought them both brand new.

The 91 is mounted inverted in a sportsman aviation 60 sized spitfire which weighs just on 7pounds ready to fly.

However, after the first few runs, all was not too well.

When turning the motor over by hand, there was a LOUD squeaking; sounded like metal pinching on metal. Took the camshaft side plate off and found that
1) everything appeared to be BONE DRY.
2) everything coated with a light layer of surface corrosion

I am a new comer to 4 strokes but i am pretty sure that the lubrication for this area is meant to come from the fuel. Either way i have oiled the area which stopped the squeaking... but the damage may already be done?

I have lately noticed a LOT of black residue on the plane after a flight... didnt do it at first, but now it is a LOT. Also, the muffler pressure line has turned the remaining fuel in the tank black... not good.

I am certain that I have not done anything wrong in the running in process... I am using 20% coolpower and 10% nitro fuel.

I have contacted the distributor who has asked me to send the motor back to him.. waiting for them to check it out at this stage...
Old 08-01-2004, 08:28 AM
LUDS96
My Feedback: (23)

I have two Magnum 91 FS Both Run reliable! I run Wild cat 15% or Cool power 15% Run great! Use the OS #7 four stroke glow plug and Happy flying
Old 08-01-2004, 08:47 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mikedsilva If the Mag service down under is like here in USA they will replace it"""
Old 08-03-2004, 09:09 PM
skyhighhobbies

Anyone have any experience with the Magnum 30? I have an old Pilot Pitts S2-a that I inherited, and tried flying with the recommended .25 size 2 stroke, wasn't enough power to keep it in the air. I have a Magnum 30 I was thinking of trying out. The model weighs in at about 4 lbs., she's a heavy bird. Any thoughts to this forum newbie?
Old 08-03-2004, 09:25 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

A Mag 30 4-stroke is not going to out pull a .25 2-stroke. They are nice little engines, but 4 pounds is going to be too much unless you have a floater. To keep the weight down and power up, I'd consider something in the .32-.36, 2-stroke size range. My 82-year old buddy has 2 of them and I do all the flying for both of us. We have 1 on a 3-channel L-19 that had a .15 in it and it isn't over powered. We have had both of them on twins, but even with 2, we don't have a great amount of power.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

On to the Mag .80 4-stroke. I have the Mag .91 and my buddy has the .80. I also have 2 Saito .91s. The Mag .91 and the Saitos are about the same in power. The .80 is a little less, but a nice running engine. Both need to be broken for a gallon, anyway, as do the Saitos. Give them 2 or 3 gallons and you'll see what I mean about breaking in.

I see the .80 is "Sold Out," so that may be the end of them, but they were what I would consider a best buy for sport flying. Maybe they'll be back.

As I said, I have 2 Saito .91s and a .72 and a Mag .91 & .70 and my buddy has the .80 and a .52, as well as the 2 .30s and we can't fault the Magnum 4-strokes for anything. All ringed 4-strokes are going to need an extended break-in compared to an ABC type, but that's what you get with a ringed engine. Do it right and the compression will come up like you wouldn't believe. They are copies of the OS so it's hard to fault the design. They aren't polished as much, but when they are broken in, they run as well. And they are a good bit less expensive.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:37 PM
wilinfla
My Feedback: (5)

I have the 80 4 stroke on a Sig Astro Hog, this is my first 4 stroke, so I don't have anything that I can compare it with. It runs great though, I ran 6 tanks on the bench and I have about 7 flights with it, it pulls the Astro Hog very good. The idle and transition is good, I am very happy with what I got for my money. LEDET, you woudn't be a Coastie would you?
Old 08-03-2004, 09:51 PM
Ledet

Coastie

If you mean do I live on the coast. Yes I do. About 30 miles from the galf.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Ledet

Thanks for the info!

I ordered a Magnum 80 from tower because Hobby people is sold out. This is going in a Senior Telemaster on floats.