Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 46FX low speed trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 07:42 PM
david93073
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 46FX low speed trouble

Well everytime I think I have my engine dialed(lowspeed) the darn thing will dead stick on me and put my meager landing skills to test Im pretty sure the low end is to rich causing the engine to die, between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle cruising speed the engine kinda gurgles like its to rich! How long should my engine idle w/ an masterairscrew 11/6 prop and still transition to wot without hesitation? also anybody have this engine and do u think the lowspeed needle could move during flight? Any help would be apprieciated cuz Im tired of fixing the nose gear on me Avistar
Old 08-08-2002, 07:58 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: OS 46FX low speed trouble

Originally posted by david93073
Well everytime I think I have my engine dialed(lowspeed) the darn thing will dead stick on me and put my meager landing skills to test Im pretty sure the low end is to rich causing the engine to die, between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle cruising speed the engine kinda gurgles like its to rich! How long should my engine idle w/ an masterairscrew 11/6 prop and still transition to wot without hesitation? also anybody have this engine and do u think the lowspeed needle could move during flight? Any help would be apprieciated cuz Im tired of fixing the nose gear on me Avistar
The best way I found tuning an engine, is first tune the high speed, make sure with the nose up that it doesn't want to die on you. Once satisfied, you have to adjust the idle.
When the engine is idling, pinch the fuel line nearest to the carb and see what it does, if it doesn't increase in speed and simply dies, your too lean, if it increases for quite a while, before it dies, its too rich.
It should increase in speed a bit and then die. It should be OK.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:41 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do exactly as aerographics said. There should be about a 1-2 second pause before the engine revs up after the pinch and it should die about 2 seconds after it revs up. The engine should be able to idle for at least 20 seconds without bogging down when you give full throttle. The low end is (in my opinion) the hardest needle to tune because you can't put a tach on it and see where the optimum point is, you just have to go by feel and experience.

This will help you get a feel for what will happen if the low speed mixture is lean or rich. First set the throttle to wide open and turn the needle all the way in to find out how many turns open it is and write it down so you don't forget later. Then reset it and turn it out 1/4 turn. You should notice a big change in performance. Then go 1/4 turn leaner than the original setting an note the way it performs. By knowing what it does when its rich or lean will make future tuning much, much easier.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:07 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread says it all and works great, My 46FX purrs like a kitten at low idle, My brother is still mad I took it back to put in my own plane.
http://www.********.net/forums/showt...p?threadid=454
Dauntae
Old 08-10-2002, 03:56 PM
breeza

The way I set my OS .46FX and other engines. Is to open the carburetor to full throttle and look into the venturi (opening on carburetor). While looking in the carburetor opening adjust the low speed needle so there is about 1/8 inch gap seen between low and high needle as seen through venturi. This is usually a good starting point and sometimes all the adjustment needed on the low end. This is very easy to do. But hard to explain.

biker