Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

M-46???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 01:36 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M-46???

I picked up several motors from a swap meet, the guy told me this M-46 ran good. I tore it down and looked it over, it looks very good inside, everything seemed to be clean and in good condition. The main needle was set at 1.25 out, I opened it up to 2 full turns for the first run. It acted like it did not have very good exhaust pressure or it's not getting fuel. It will fire if you hold your finger over the exhaust opening and start to run, but it sounds labored and will not rev up. I have tried settings from 1 full turn to 3 full turns. I removed the main needle and back flushed it with fuel.
The only marking on this motor is "M-46" in black inside a oval on the side of the motor. The fuel I was using is 30% Coolpower (I fly helis<G&gt I installed a new OS#8 plug too
any ideas or suggestions as to make and what to do next

Terry
Old 10-14-2004, 08:49 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: M-46???

It is a Megatech M-46 engine (Horizon Hobby sells them now). A great engine for the price (around $40 on ebay). Mine runs great on 0% nitro. With no nitro, my high speed needle is about 1 1/4 turn out.

Your problem sounds like the fuel is not getting to carb. Check your fuel line and make sure it is not too long or looped. Try the blow and adjust method:

- put clean fuel line on fuel inlet
- put carb at full throttle
- blow in open end of fuel line and adjust high speed needle till you hear air exiting
- you can do the same for low speed needle at idle throttle

This will put you at a good baseline. If the above does not get your engine running, there might be a problem with your fuel tank to carb setup. Could be anything from a cut fuel line, clogged filter/clunk, pinched line, etc.

Also, I'm not sure if this engine is designed to run such a high nitro or not. Try to borrow some lower nitro and see if it works better.

Hope the above helps.

Good luck.