Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Which .40 size engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 02:27 PM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which .40 size engine?

I'm building a scratch design fun-fly plane that our club originally designed years ago to be used for pylon racing. It turned out that the plane was so easy to fly, everybody forgot about racing them and just flew them for fun. We also found that by increasing the size of the aileron and elevator that this little plane became a real potent aerobat. Most everyone bakc then put k&B .28s on them because that was the cheapest way to go.

The plane weighs between 3 - 3.5 lbs with a 42" wingspan. The original used a foam wing, but I'm trying thus one with a built up one, which should save a little weight.

I don't think the K&B .28 is available anymore, so I was looking for something else. There seems to be a lot of good engines on the market now that would offer a lot of bang for the buck. I'm specifically looking at the TT pro 36 or similar size and weight. Any comments on this or similar size engines?

Also, I've seen posts from some saying they switched their TT GP42s for TT pro 36 and gained a lot of power. Is this true? Also, how does the OS 40 LA compare to the TT 32 pro?

Thanks,
Old 08-27-2002, 02:50 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 40LA has even less power than the GP 42. The TT 36 will give about the best bang for your buck you can get.
Old 08-27-2002, 02:56 PM
rvd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the GMS .32 ABC.. That engine runs strong for a .32..
Old 08-27-2002, 03:06 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Some of the LA 40's run rather decent but none of them have the power of even a modern .32 style engine. The engines mentioned so far are all very good but the Megatek .37 wasn't mentioned. It's identical to the MECOA .32 (which is Tiny) except it is a .37.

The LEO engines are utilized as the MECOA .32 and the Megatek .37. They are a OS .32 copy. They run good too.

If you have a gold fleece lined pocket book, you could get the OS .32SX but it doesn't run any better than any of the engines already mentioned.

There is also a MDS .38 which runs pretty good but sometimes the MDS engines are a lot of trouble for people. Mine have been great but I here the stories all the time.

You should buy one of the ones mentioned that is easy to get and that you get a good price on.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 08-27-2002, 03:21 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the plane stays below the 3.5lbs I would put on a OS 32sx. Yes they cost more than some other 32s. But it is money well spend.

I have my OS32sx on my 4lb menace. and it pulls it out of a hover w/ ease.

I have had mine on a MS Menace, a SPAD, Tower Hobbies extra special, trainer, 2 other scratch build fun flys. And the only time the motor dead sticks is when I fun out of fuel.

It never loads up in the midrange. I haven't touch my low in since I bought it 3 years ago. when i bought it after 12oz of fuels ran thru it I leaned out the low end 1/4. Since then I haven't touch it.

I have crashed this motor hard. And it still comes back for more punishment.

throttle responce is instantly w/ a 10-3, 10-4, 10-5, or 11-3 APC props. throttle is very linear. Motor never hestistates or bogs down in the midrange. Will idle for minutes then go to full throttle with no hestistaton.

Sometimes motors cost more because they are worth more.

I started off flying w/ motors that were cheaper, and they gave me a lot of head ache and pain. I have decided I am not going to spend my time working on motors, trying to get them set.

When I buy a new motor I judge it against my os32sx. And so far only 1 meets the quality, power, throttle responce, linear transition. And that is my YS 63 4 stroke.