Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito or YS engines.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 07:54 PM
jill210

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito or YS engines.

I hear allot about these YS 4 cycle engines. I have always had Saito engines. They are great. Don't have to screw with them once you get them right they stay there.

Would like to know how the YS compare? I want an engine like I described. Powerful and user friendly. Saitos are like that. Are the YS engine like that? Does anyone have both?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Saito or YS engines.

YS is more powerful, slightly more difficult to get dialed (but not much---) mostly getting the fuel system set-up properly.

Both are highly recommended, but YS is THEE powerhouse in 4 cy. engines-
Old 01-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Here are some more questions:

How about reliability of YS engines compared to Saito? I've run Saito 4 strokes and OS 2-strokes for months and months without a deadstick. Is a YS 110 as reliable as a Saito 100?

And how does fuel consumption compare? How long a flight time can you get out of a YS 110 with a 16 oz tank?

Walt
Old 01-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My YS 110 has over 250 flights on it without a single deadstick. Reliability depends on the engine operator. I get 12 minutes on a 14 oz tank. Go into the warbirds forum and watch some videos of my YS powered warbirds. I only use reliable YS engines in heavy warbirds.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Richard,

I just looked through your videos. They are excellent! And it looks like the YS pulls the plane along very, very well.

I am working on a VQ P-61 BlackWidow and need a pair of reliable strong engines. The plane is supposed to weigh in at around 20 lbs, I don't want it underpowered and it will need 3 or 4-blade props to look right. The challenge is that the cowls are extremely short (the P-61 came with radial engines) so the engines need to be compact. I could go with OS-91's or Saito 100's, but with multi-blade props these engines may be marginal in power. YS 110's would also fit, but being a twin, reliability is extremely critical...

Decisions, decisions...
Old 01-06-2005, 10:34 PM
Richard L.

Currently, the YS 110's are difficult to find, so you might end up going with a pair of Saito 100's instead. The Saito 100 has taller cylinder head height, but it is 13mm shorter from the front driver washer to the rear of the carb. The OS .91 or Saito .91 might fit even better in your case. In terms of props used, the Saito 100 spins a 14x6 3-blade whereas the YS 110 spins a 14x7 3-blade. If you plan to mount your engines inverted, then it would take more time to get the Saito's to idle reliably inverted. The YS will idle inverted straight out of the box.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

I have a Saito 100 mounted on a 8-1/2 lb Extra 300. Maybe I'll try putting a 3-blade prop on it and see how it pulls the plane. If it pulls strong then maybe I'll be OK with Saitos.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: Build-n-flyer-RCU

Richard,

I just looked through your videos. They are excellent! And it looks like the YS pulls the plane along very, very well.
Thanks. Here is a video showing the YS .91FZ pulling a 12 lbs, 71" span Spitfire: [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/gsp_spit_show_pass.mpg]Spit Show Pass[/link]
Old 01-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Blue_Moon_

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

YS is more powerful, slightly more difficult to get dialed (but not much---) mostly getting the fuel system set-up properly.

Both are highly recommended, but YS is THEE powerhouse in 4 cy. engines-

Indeed, but you have forgotten the most important factor, wich is the weight. Saito engines are much lighter then OS engines.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:03 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone serious about 4-stroke engines should at least buy one YS engine and try it out. Believe me you won't have any trouble selling it if you don't like it. And if you can't get it to run right, again, you will have no problems selling it.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Where is the best place to sell my YS 63 as I'm converting to Saito 82, Tired of playing with the YS 63.

Thanks, Dennis
Old 01-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Richard L.

The pictures below show the relative sizes between the Saito 100 and the YS 110. By the way, I find the YS 110 much easier to tune. If you can't tune a YS, then you are doing something wrong.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91194.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	211968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49209.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	211969  
Old 01-19-2005, 01:01 AM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I own several Saito engines, to include (3) 1.00s, and have recently sold my YS .91 and YS 1.10. The Saito 1.00 is more powerful than the YS .91, but the YS 1.10 is stronger. Both YS engines are about 8 oz heavier than the Saito 1.00. The YS engines are more involved to set up and keep tuned. They go out of tune, are susceptible to air leaks, the diaphrams have issues, more expensive fuel is needed, and you need to carry extra gaskets and diaphrams for field maintenance, etc. The Saito is a much easier in my opinion, and frankly I don't care what the "purist" YS owners say to the contrary...I have been there and done it myself!

Regards,
Old 01-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Richard L.

Need to carry extra gaskets and diaphrams for field maintenance? Please. Give me a break. I never had to and never will.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:48 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I now own 2 ys's (63 and 110). I also own a Saito 91 & 100. I bought Saitos because of all the praise here on rcu. I am somewhat disappointed with my Saitos. They both run perfect, idle and transitions well, but they are lacking a little in power (not really, but I listened to all the hype and expected more). The thing that really suprised me is that you do not get a real noticeable gain using different fuels. I don't have my numbers but I did not gain much going from 15% syn/cas blend to 30%heli fuel (not enough to justify the cost).

Now, on the other hand, the ys is a different story. I believe it really shines when you use 20%-30% fuel. I had my 63 for 2 years now and never had any issues with it, well nothing outside of having to adjust it for the temperature changes. I only had the 110 for about a month now but I can tell you this thing is a beast. I have'nt finished breaking it in yet but not problems yet.

I believe it comes down to getting the engine that suits your needs. If you need performance, then go ys, if you only need sport flying, then go with Saito (I just hate watching people put a ys engine on a trainer, what a total waste of engine).

I like my Saitos, I like my YS's, they all have their place. I won't sell any of them.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:14 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Dennis, you can list your YS in the RCU MarketPlace at aprice you think is fair or in the RCU MarketPlace Auction with a reserve you're comfortable with and an InstaBuy price of your choosing.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:04 AM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

If what Red Baron Mike reports is true that YS is about 8oz heavier, it would take a tank to haul one of the engines around the sky plus the extra cost. Eight ounces is a lot of weight in a small airplane nose.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Richard L.

Below are pictures showing the weight of both the Saito 100 and the YS 110. Eight ounces is an exaggerated figure. The power output of the YS 110 is more than made up for the weight penalty. People won't even feel the extra weight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95553.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	217483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55892.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	217484  
Old 01-19-2005, 11:24 AM
rcuser004

Richard,

Then you are a very lucky person. There are many in my club and neighboring club flying YS.91 and 1.10s (SWRA Pylon Racing) and gaskets and diaphrams do go out. The engines are used primarily on the World 57" P-51s. I ran both the YS .91 and 1.10 on my planes and replaced them with the Saito 1.00. There are also many flying these engines on "non-racing" warbirds. Everyone of them has a supply of spare parts (oh, I forgot to mention spare check valves also). The slightest injestion of dirt in a YS and the diaphram plunger sticks. Also, valve cover gaskets periodically go out. Now, one can either fix this at the field or go home. Another thing "that happened to me" with my YS 1.10, I ran it out of fuel at full throttle. When the engine hit the "lean" condition due to no more fuel, it backfired and threw the spinner and shattered the prop. I never had an issue like this with the Saito 1.00. Understand, I will admit
they are extremely powerful, can handle massive amounts of nitro and higher rpm than most other 4-stroke engines. This is fine if ultimate performance is needed for events such as pylon racing. However, for general sport flying, YS engines ARE NOT worth the extra cost and bother in my opinion!

If you have been fortunate to "never" have to make such a field repair, I congratulate you and suggest you buy some lottery tickets.

Regards,
Old 01-19-2005, 11:26 AM
rcuser004

Richard,

We don't use the mufflers, just a straight pipe. The weight difference is greater than you show.

Regards,
Old 01-19-2005, 11:53 AM
wildnloose

So is the power. A more accurate comparison would be the Saito 120 vs the ys 110....
Old 01-19-2005, 11:58 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Red Baron Mike on this one. I've been running r/c model engines since 1987, so I didn't just fall off the fuel truck; I have a bit of a clue. I used to be offended when somebody said "If you cannot tune a YS, you're doing something wrong." Now, I realize those persons are the lucky ones who got a "good" YS.

My personal experience is with five different ones; a 120N, two 91 FZs, and two 63 FZs. The 120N was an utterly reliable monster that I still kick myself for selling.

Both 91 FZs ran great for about a year, then suddenly began quitting in flight for no apparent reason. Many different things tried and several phone conversations with Dave Shadel produced no help. There was no pattern to it, so we couldn't isolate it. I should say that one of these engines belonged to my flying buddy, who is no rookie at this game either. We eventually sold the engines in disgust. The guy that bought mine installed a new gasket set, and surprise, it stopped dying in flight; for a while. We dunno what became of the other one.

Of the two 63s, his was strong and reliable from Day One. Mine had several hours on it before it settled down. But get this; his ran with the high speed needle 3/4 turns out. Mine ran just as strong (once it settled down) at TWO turns out! And this was the SAME fuel, SAME plug, SAME prop. When asked for an explanation of this, certain people were at a loss.

It just validates what I was told many years ago by someone in a position to know: YS engines are basically hand-assembled and built, and each one is different.

So all you guys having great luck with YS four strokes, good for you. I mean that. When its right, nothing is better overall than a YS four stroke. But not all of them are "right". So don't tell us that we don't know what we're doing if we had/have problems with one.

Some of us know better...
Old 01-19-2005, 11:59 AM
LSP972

I'm with Red Baron Mike on this one. I've been running r/c model engines since 1987, so I didn't just fall off the fuel truck; I have a bit of a clue. I used to be offended when somebody said "If you cannot tune a YS, you're doing something wrong." Now, I realize those persons are the lucky ones who got a "good" YS.

My personal experience is with five different ones; a 120N, two 91 FZs, and two 63 FZs. The 120N was an utterly reliable monster that I still kick myself for selling.

Both 91 FZs ran great for about a year, then suddenly began quitting in flight for no apparent reason. Many different things tried and several phone conversations with Dave Shadel produced no help. There was no pattern to it, so we couldn't isolate it. I should say that one of these engines belonged to my flying buddy, who is no rookie at this game either. We eventually sold the engines in disgust. The guy that bought mine installed a new gasket set, and surprise, it stopped dying in flight; for a while. We dunno what became of the other one.

Of the two 63s, his was strong and reliable from Day One. Mine had several hours on it before it settled down. But get this; his ran with the high speed needle 3/4 turns out. Mine ran just as strong (once it settled down) at TWO turns out! And this was the SAME fuel, SAME plug, SAME prop. When asked for an explanation of this, certain people were at a loss.

It just validates what I was told many years ago by someone in a position to know: YS engines are basically hand-assembled and built, and each one is different.

So all you guys having great luck with YS four strokes, good for you. I mean that. When its right, nothing is better overall than a YS four stroke. But not all of them are "right". So don't tell us that we don't know what we're doing if we had/have problems with one.

Some of us know better...
Old 01-19-2005, 12:01 PM
LSP972

Sorry for the double-tap; I got distracted.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:37 PM
wildnloose

Well, I must be having good luck with my ys engines, and bad luck with my Saitos'. Just last year I witnessed bearing failures on 4 brand new Saitos, and 1 used (which I bought after it was returned, the previous owner swears off Saitos now...he is strictly an OS man). But, let me add they have excellent customer service, 2 of the 4 engines were replaced while the other 2 had the bearings replaced.

Does Saito have a bearing failure issue??? From my experience I would say yes.....but it did not stop me from using them...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.