Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Saito Carburetor Throttle Arm Came Off

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito Carburetor Throttle Arm Came Off

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 08:35 AM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito Carburetor Throttle Arm Came Off

I need help fixing a Saito 80 that the carburetor tryotle arm came of the carb. While flying the Ultra Sport the Saito lost power and would only run slowly. Afer removing the engine I was looking at the carb to see if I could figure out what was wrong and the throttle arm came of and hit the floor. The throttle barrel that the arm attaches to appears to be made out of aluminum and the arm was peened or bradded on to it. Any help would be appreciated I would like to fix it rather that ordering a new carb throttle barrel if possible. Engine runs great and has much more life lelft in it.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Default RE: Saito Carburetor Throttle Arm Came Off

The throttle arm (the black piece) has 2 setscrews if it's made of metal and 1 setscrew if it's the newer plastic arm. Just put the arm back on the throttle barrel and tighten the set screw(s).
Just a note....the plastic arm has a metal insert that is pressed into it. If the arm came off the metal insert (you'll see splines where the arm goes) just CA it back on.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Old 01-11-2005, 09:43 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Buzz:

If you look closely in the attached picture of the later plastic throttle lever, you can see a circular mark at the end of the arrow. That is a set screw holding the lever on.

Your earlier carb has an exposed metal ring with the same set screw. Loosen it and the ring will come off, you can re attach the lever to the ring and put it back together.

I don't have a handy picture of the metal lever.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67426.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	213598  
Old 01-11-2005, 11:10 AM
buzzingb

Thanks Meesh and William I saw the set screw that you pointed out but that is not the problem. The arm itself came off the metal (aluminum) part that has the set screw in it. The part with the set screw is still attached and functioning properly. I have other saitos and they are all the plastic throttle arm type mentioned but this one is the aluminum type that has the iron throtle arm bradded or peened, can't be sure, to it. The metal arm is now off the round part that has the set screw and I neet to attach the iron/metal arm to the aluminum piece with the set screw. My guess is that I might could be repeened or attached with some type of adhesive but I am not sure about that at all. I love these Saito engine and this if the only problem that I have had so far.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Loosen the set screw and take the bushing off the the barrel. Use medium CA to glue it back into the arm. Be careful not to get any CA on the set screw. I think a new arm from Horizon is about $5.00.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:41 AM
buzzingb

The throttle barel and arm from Horrizon appeared to be about $15 but wasn't sure about that. The throtle arm has a round part at its base that circles the low idle needle valve screw. It goes over the aluminum round part with the set screw and appears to have been pressed into place. With vibration or pressure from the control rod it worked its way loose. I think CA might hold it on since it doesn't receive much pressure to rate the carb barrel. However. the vibration level is very intense at its locaton and not sure if CA can withstand this.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:09 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Buzz:

Loosen the set screw and the ring will come off. Put the lever back on the ring and peen the metal again to hold it.

Here are two pictures of the metal lever, this one has already been repaired. You can see the marks of the center punch.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32340.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	213632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20507.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	213633  
Old 01-11-2005, 12:49 PM
buzzingb

Thanks William I think I will try it your way. That is exactly the type of carb I have and it looks like the fix I needed. I might even add a little adhesive for insurance.Thanks to all.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:28 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to tighten an OS throttle arm by peening. A dull chisel was used on the 4 original peen marks. The round end of a small ball peen hammer was used to complete the peen. Turned the hammer upside down and put the ball end on the peen and then struck the hammer surface with another hammer. Worked for me and didn’t cost anything.