Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

.50 - .61 engine choice decision

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 01:43 PM
pjuztarizo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .50 - .61 engine choice decision

At this time I find myself building a model from scratch, and it has came the point where I should be choosing the engine.

That engine is got to be in the .50 to .60 neighborhood.

Problem is: which one??

If I considered OS .50 SX of .60 FX they are kind of expensive.

I was thinking about a TT .61, but I got disappointed when I was told they were not as good as their smaller brothers (.46). Besides being heavy and not so powerful

What about an Irvine .53 or .61?

Ok guys, I'm waiting for your advise
Old 09-12-2002, 03:05 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default Irvine plug!

I always "plug" the Irvine 53, just because alot of people have never seen/run one.

Power is outstanding especially with>(Ultrathrust muffler..)
Reliability is the best I have seen and heard about.
Transition is great (not a YS) but I feel this motor is head and shoulders above the OS 46FX and "most" others.

the OS 50 Sx is supposed to be incredible, you might also try the MVVS 60 (61?), and the Enya 50!

Bang for the buck>> Irvine 53

james
Old 09-12-2002, 03:54 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

Go with the Irvine
I have one in a Cloud Dancer and it's as good as Razor says!!!
you can buy it from www.justengines.unseen.org at the UK
best regards,
patricio
Old 09-12-2002, 03:56 PM
pjuztarizo

I appreciate your advise James.

I was also thinking about choosing the Irvine 0.53 over the .61. The last one is over 60% heavier and not necessarily that much more powerful, and the first one cost about US$128, which is still a bang for the buck!

Pedro
Old 09-12-2002, 03:59 PM
pjuztarizo

Thanks Patricio, I´ll check with Just Engines!

By the way, do you have any idea how much for shipping from U.K. to U.S.?

Regards,

Pedro
Old 09-12-2002, 04:25 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: .50 - .61 engine choice decision

Originally posted by pjuztarizo
I was thinking about a TT .61, but I got disappointed when I was told they were not as good as their smaller brothers (.46). Besides being heavy and not so powerful
If you are planning to use the original muffler they are almost two ounces heavier than the OS FX .61. But I think most of the weight is in the muffler. Earlier versions had a problem with the carburator, I think it was solved later with a needle with a differant taper. The ones I have seen seem to pull the plane around very well, but I don't know how it compares with others. Recently some people, some of the better flyers I might add, have bought the Towerhobbies .75 and are very please by it. It is the same size and about the same weight as the .61 version.

If you want to stay with TT I suggest that you try the TT .91 four stroke. It is more powefull than any of the .61 and less engines mentioned so far. In fact it is more powerfull than the OS, Saito, Magnum FS .91's. Yeah it is a bit heavier but turns up a 14-6 prop at 10,600 RPM with 25% nitro! Long break in though.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:23 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Shipping from Just Engines is somewhere between $14-$15 depending on the exchange rate between the Pound and the Dollar. Two engines costs the same shipping as one. Don't forget to read about the extra British tax that must be taken off first. Then add the shipping in British pounds. Multiply all this by the exchange rate which has been in the 1.4 range. A telephone call over there runs about $13 too. So do your business over the web.

A 61 may not seem to be any more powerful plus it weighs more than a 53. But in actual experience the bigger engine will give you very reliable day - in and Day - out service. It will pull a bigger prop than the 53. If your plane would be marginal with a 50 engine, you will be much happier with a 61 if it will fit on the plane.

An example was a guy at the field that brought out a Sig Hog. The plans for the Hog say a .46 to .61 engine. So he installed a .46. On a cooler day it would take off and you could do most everything with it but you had to keep the throttle to the wall. On a very hot day, it wouldn't lift off the grass field. With even a poor .61, this plane would have been fine.

Jim