Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum XLS 52 - A 'Hunk of Junk'?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:18 PM
imsofaman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Magnum XLS 52 - A 'Hunk of Junk'?

I am not sure why guys are not liking this motor. I have two of them. One an autogyro and on a OMP Katana. The only problem I had with either of them is when I over prop'd them. That is the worse thing you could do to this motor. If you stay within the range reccomended.....you should really have no problems. I say it is a very good motor. I bought one used from a guy who hated it. I put the correct prop on it....usded good fuel....never had a problem. Not sure what the fuss is all about.

On my gyro I am using APC 12.25 x 3.75 3D Aero Propeller

On my OMP Katana, I tried the 12.25 prop, but broke it on a rough landing. I liked it very much and was responsive. I have a APC 11.5 x 4 3D mounted on her now....just have not tried it out yet.

My vote is two thumbs up on this motor.

Dave
Old 10-12-2008, 02:44 AM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Magnum/ASP 52 is a very powerful engine that likes to rev.

However, it does require *very* accurate adjustment of the low-speed needle if you want a good mid-range and transition (which is still not in the same league as OS or ThunderTiger for 3D flying)

I have also found that the general design and quality of the ASP/Magnum is short of that found in the OS/TT engines.

I have two ASP 52s but I won't be buying any more I'll stick to the TT46Pro. Less power but much longer-lasting, better designed, more accurately made and superior throttle performance.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:09 AM
yallaair

I have also found that the general design and quality of the ASP/Magnum is short of that found in the OS/TT engines.
The weakest link on the ASP/Magnum 52 is the carb, crankshaft and the cooling head. I replaced those, and put it into my heli. The result was awsome!! It pulls my 9lbs Ariskipper50 like there was no tomorrow! It totally outperforms my O.S 50 HYPER!!!
http://site.sunnfjordrc.no/index.php...&id=51#ponyimg
http://site.sunnfjordrc.no/index.php...&id=40#ponyimg
http://site.sunnfjordrc.no/index.php...&id=53#ponyimg
Old 10-13-2008, 03:08 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: yallaair

The weakest link on the ASP/Magnum 52 is the carb, crankshaft and the cooling head. I replaced those, and put it into my heli. The result was awsome!!
So what you're saying is that the backplate of the ASP/Magnum 52 is really good?
Old 10-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Harry Lagman

ORIGINAL: XJet

ORIGINAL: yallaair

The weakest link on the ASP/Magnum 52 is the carb, crankshaft and the cooling head. I replaced those, and put it into my heli. The result was awsome!!
So what you're saying is that the backplate of the ASP/Magnum 52 is really good?
Yes, it's called a glowplug swap. Remove the glowplug, slide another engine in underneath it and replace.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:58 AM
yallaair

Yes hehe! However, the piston/liner setup is not so bad The good thing is that most parts are interchangeable with the O.S. Replace the weak O.S parts and you will end up with a good hybrid engine. Just take the best parts from two different engines!!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....it's easy to tell the guys that make bad comments about the Magnum/ASP engines....

....they are the guys that never owned one. [sm=red_smile.gif]

FBD.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:55 PM
iiiat

Hi everyone. I can contribute to this thread as well. I own... I think... probably 7 of these engines, and I love them. Just bought another on eBay for <$60 delivered. The price/performance is absolutely unbeatable. I have these installed in a variety of airframes from my 40 size 3-D funfly to warbirds to my seaplane to my Bobcat 50.

I think everyone is essentially correct on everything I've read on this thread (I read most of it but not all). This engine will rev like there's no tomorrow (higher revs than the OS AX), but it will ALSO sing along happily with a bigger, low pitch 3-D prop and yank my model out of a hover and send it vertical on 3/4 throttle. It's a very versatile engine. As with ANY engine, getting the right prop for the application is crucial.

And there is a downside to this engine as well. On some (but not all) of my 52 XLS, I cannot adjust the low spead needle exactly right. For instance, the example on my 3D funfly must remain a bit rich on the low end. This affects mid range and transition, of couse. If I adjust the low end lean enough, I cannot close the barrel far enough to kill the engine (the low end needle acts as a stop). BUT, on this model, the issue is patially due to the tank location. I only suffer a rich low end while the tank is completely full. After a couple laps around the field, after some of the fuel is burned, everything ends up perfect. I know this about the model, and I deal with it accordingly. It's not an issue for me. But this points out the fact that every installation is slightly different, and every fuel system is slightly different. (Still, I think the idea that MAgnum should change the taper of the low end needle is a good one).

This engine installed on other models most often has no issue whatsoever. My Bobcat has the newest 52 XLS, and it too has a low end issue until it burns some fuel. but that engine is very low time (4 flights) and is just now getting broken in. The XLS 52 in my pattern plane is, in a word, SWEET! It performs as well as the BEST performing engine there is. Idle, transition, and WOT are puuuurrrrfect.

Guys, you have to make allowances for the fuel system and engine installation in each individual model. I'm one of those guys at the field that others ask to help them tune their engines. I have tuned 100's. I've learned that ALL brands respond slightly differently to settings, especially during break in. For instance, many of the new OS AX engines are VERY finicky until broken in. We had a guy with a brand new OS 55AX mounted inverted in a Seagull Tacano that simply would not work. OS replaced the engine and, with the 2nd engine we STILL had dead sticks and other issues until the engine was fully broken in. Works great now! (FYI - for ABC engines, we like to break em in by flying them, *shrug*)

Bottom line, aside from running out of fuel, I haven't had a Dead stick with ANY of my 52 XLS engines. They start easily, run like CRAZY, Idle, transition, and top end, and are as reliable and last as long as any other engine on the market. What more could you want? I'll take a SLIGHTLY imperfect taper on the low end needle and buy 2 Magnums for every one OS any day!

hehehe... my little funfly plane has over 400 flights on it. I'm going to have to retire the airframe due to fatigue! I hate it! That plane is SO much fun to play with. But the 52 on it still looks and runs like new.

Sorry so long winded
Old 12-17-2008, 05:04 PM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a new one coming my way all the way from a Hong Kong web-shop as we speak. It will be my third of these amazing engines. They respond really well on tuning. My pet 52 XLS will actually break the 15K barrier on an APC 12-4 (Tower muffler and some Dremmel work has been done)
Old 12-18-2008, 09:13 AM
HFrank

Hi, I'm also a happy owner of one of these little screamers, I've just ordered a second one and I want to install a Magnum pitts muffler to it. Anyone has experience with this setup ?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33674.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	1092019  
Old 12-18-2008, 01:04 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I have two of the Magnum .52 two-strokes (bluehead) and one of the ASP .52 (A series short stroke) engines. They sure are purdy.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Lovespicyfood
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Everyone,

I'm seriously thinking about purchasing one of these engines as I recently purchased my first gas plane here:

http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006101

I originally wanted a 4-stroke, but when I found out that they were ~2X as much $, I decided against it. Now I see that Hobby People has them on sale for essentially the same price $74.99.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/210980.asp

Do you think this Magum 4-stroke would make a good engine for this plane? I really like the Pitts style muffler too, but I'm unsure if it's appropriate.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice you have. I'm a nitro new, been flying mostly electric planes and helis for the past several years. Got a nitro heli the beginning of the year and love it. Decided I wanted to try a nitro plane...

Regards,
Pete
Old 12-26-2008, 02:10 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Lovespicyfood
I'm seriously thinking about purchasing one of these engines as I recently purchased my first gas plane here:
The engine being referred to in this thread is the Magnum 52XLS *two-stroke*, not the 4-stroke you're looking at.

$79 seems like a pretty good price for the engine you're looking at though.

Be aware, that the Giles is not the "easiest" plane to fly, especially if you're a bit low on power (as might be the case with the Magnum 52 4-stroke). They tend to tip-stall and snap into a spin very easily if you're low on power and heavy on the elevator.

I would think the Magnum 52 4-stroke might be a little low on power for that plane but others may have actually tried it and their opinion would be more valuable than my own.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Lovespicyfood

ORIGINAL: XJet

ORIGINAL: Lovespicyfood
The engine being referred to in this thread is the Magnum 52XLS *two-stroke*, not the 4-stroke you're looking at.

$79 seems like a pretty good price for the engine you're looking at though.

Be aware, that the Giles is not the "easiest" plane to fly, especially if you're a bit low on power (as might be the case with the Magnum 52 4-stroke). They tend to tip-stall and snap into a spin very easily if you're low on power and heavy on the elevator.

I would think the Magnum 52 4-stroke might be a little low on power for that plane but others may have actually tried it and their opinion would be more valuable than my own.
Oh Geez...thanks for pointing that out! Thanks too for the tips on the Giles...I'm not sure what I'm going to do...
Old 07-14-2009, 08:24 PM
flutter caused it

Well, I've got to put my two cents in also. Over the past two years, I've purchased five Magnums. Four were XLS 46's when they where on sale for $60.00 (Tower Hobbies), and the other Magnum was a 52 that I purchased last week when they when on sale (Hobby People). The first three XLS 46's were perfect, still running very strong. Excellent idle, fast transistion and maybe a hand full of dead sticks. I've been flying model airplanes for 30 years and have seen some junk over that time span. Also learned in that time that purging all fuel from the engine and adding after run oil is a must after every flying day. The fourth XLS 46, well I could never get it running like the first three. Still idled well, but top end power was down about 3500 RPM's from the others. Still running an APC 10/6 and 15% nitro. Upon breaking in that fourth 46 engine, it made more noise inside the case than the others, I'm still not sure what the problem is; however, "three out of four aint bad". I purchased the XLS 52 last week and I used it in place of the poor running 46. I was breaking it in today (on the plane) and after three very rich tanks, I started leaning it in slightly. after the 5th tank, I had it idleing perfect, transistion was flawless. All indictions so far hint that the 52 will be a good one. Yes I'l be returning the ill running 46 to Hobby People, still under warranty.
I would'nt hesitate to spend a few extra dollars to get a "perfect" engine every time. The fact is, they dont exist. I've also purchased more than my fair share of O.S., Rossi, Supertigre, Webra, and Saito's. I've had extremely great running engines, and poor running engines from them all. The majority of the Magnums are great. On my kit built Kaos (with Lado retracts), my cumulative timer on my Spektrum DX-7 (12 minutes per flight) shows 145 flights. Thats over the course of two years. I dont ever remember having the first dead stick. (Im sure I would remember that because the Lado's mandate 11 seconds to extend and lock). I give the Magnums a big "thumbs-up". I'l report back after the first few flights with the 52, but dont be disappointed if I come back with a good report.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:36 AM
asmund

You are gonna love it, and it will be alot more powerfull than your 46`s. I own two of the 52`s and one of them is now fittet with a pipe and turns APC 8-8 at 19200 rpm static. It is going into my Weston MagnumR ARF. Should be pretty fast[8D]

The other one is swinging wooden 13-4 on a Tower muffler and are great and totally dependable in my Katana profile.

How`s that for flexibility? Both scream and grunt
Old 07-16-2009, 01:52 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: asmund

I have a new one coming my way all the way from a Hong Kong web-shop as we speak. It will be my third of these amazing engines. They respond really well on tuning. My pet 52 XLS will actually break the 15K barrier on an APC 12-4 (Tower muffler and some Dremmel work has been done)

Just for clarity, and to say hi to an old friend, hi!, are you using the Magnum or the ASP marked engines? I've been wondering if they are ported/timed the same. I have both NIB, but they are currently residing in my storage facility, a few miles away.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-16-2009, 04:22 PM
flutter caused it

My understanding is that the Magnum and ASP engines are both manufactured at the same facility. Im not sure of the internal differences as far as timimg/porting. It seems almost universal that the Magnums are preferred; however, I'm not quite sure why. I personnaly have purchased only one ASP 21 engine. It still resides on my Model Tech Mini Magic. It has been a gem from the first day.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:29 PM
asmund

Hi Ed, mine are branded ASP. Is there really different timed versions of the XLS .52 out there, whether it is ASP, Magnum or SC?
Old 07-16-2009, 06:47 PM
NM2K

Hi, Asmund. Some time ago, the Just Engines website had a dissertation stating that there was a difference between the "A" model ASP .52 and the "S" model, IIRC. The latter was what they sold and it was alleged not to be ported/timed for high rpm usage as was the USA version of the same engine. That's why I'm asking you whether your engines were revvers or not. Of course, it is possible that you got one of the American timed/ported engines anyway. It would be nice if Sanye published some monthly newsletters about such information for we engine enthusiasts. I can't help but feel that it would bring them more sales.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-16-2009, 07:59 PM
jantrit

Wow to find this thread now is really funny, I have to been tested by an SC 52, I am pretty sure that it is the exact same as the magnum. I had all the same issues as mentioned, even had the high speed needle fall out mid flight. The little 52 really did teach me how to dead stick though which is a good thing i guess in the end it just seemed to start to work, and touch wood still works well, although it does seem to hesitate on take off when the throttle is raised. Now if they can separate me from this nice wooden desk i might just get out and fly

edit: before i forget i actually run a carb with built in hsn since I couldn't find a spare for the remote needle when it fell out.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:41 AM
asmund

Hi Ed. I have found that this engine can both revv and grunt, depending on the exhaust configuration. One of them has been used alot in 3-D planes swinging ACP 12.25-3.75 and 13-4 (Tower muffler)
I was extremely satisfied by that performance and now it is the same engine spinning APC 8-8 at 19200 rpm (on a pipe though)

My friend Yallaair used the same pipe as I now use on an 8-8, but he had a longer header and turned APC 14-6 at 10300 rpm and used this set up in a Katana profile with great success. It was silent as an electric
Old 11-17-2009, 03:16 PM
JugMan

HECK! I saw the "Hunk of Junk" title to this thread, and I think it's a real disservice to Global Hobby, and it's hard working american employess. I've got two of these Magnum things (.91 four stroke, and .52 2 stroke), and they rock real hard! I had some trouble with my .52 this weekend, after I had to remove the throttle barrel to clean, BUT those problems (transition to high) were MY fault, not the motors! I had jerked around with the low speed needle without realizing it. One phone call to Global and I was immediately speaking to a guy who answered my question (factory idle screw to be set FIRST , with throttle CLOSED, one turn out...Then and only then can the main needle be set correctly start at 2.5 turns out). Viola! running like a beast once more. These motors are made well, have great parts support, great service support, are reliable, and look good too... oh yeah, they're also a bargain. GMS is another bargain brand that has really suprised me. In fact I run a Magnum Pitts muffler on my GMS .47 in a Nitro CMP Models 330 L Extra, with some 1501's from TBM, awesome servos for the money. Now that is a performance combo on a budget that will blow your mind, If the plane with the .52 goes south, I'll put the .52 magnum in the Extra with the same pitts muff! Don't be dissin' the Magnums if you don't have one, or are to stubborn to ask for help!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:18 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: JugMan

HECK! I saw the "Hunk of Junk" title to this thread, and I think it's a real disservice to Global Hobby, and it's hard working american employess. I've got two of these Magnum things (.91 four stroke, and .52 2 stroke), and they rock real hard! I had some trouble with my .52 this weekend, after I had to remove the throttle barrel to clean, BUT those problems (transition to high) were MY fault, not the motors! I had jerked around with the low speed needle without realizing it. One phone call to Global and I was immediately speaking to a guy who answered my question (factory idle screw to be set FIRST , with throttle CLOSED, one turn out...Then and only then can the main needle be set correctly start at 2.5 turns out). Viola! running like a beast once more. These motors are made well, have great parts support, great service support, are reliable, and look good too... oh yeah, they're also a bargain. GMS is another bargain brand that has really suprised me. In fact I run a Magnum Pitts muffler on my GMS .47 in a Nitro CMP Models 330 L Extra, with some 1501's from TBM, awesome servos for the money. Now that is a performance combo on a budget that will blow your mind, If the plane with the .52 goes south, I'll put the .52 magnum in the Extra with the same pitts muff! Don't be dissin' the Magnums if you don't have one, or are to stubborn to ask for help!
A key factor here was Service Global Hobby / Hobby People offer good service support

Just Engines in Great Britain also offers great service on the ASP engines which are made by the same company as Magnum
Old 08-24-2010, 03:34 AM
qwertypemdas

I just picked up a Mag 52 NIB from a guy at my field. I have yet to run it but I have had many finicky engines pass through my hands and it seems that if you take the time to trouble shoot every possible problem and then fix it any engine will run quite well. I think this engine is going to have gobs of power and it looks really mean mounted up on my Mojo. I'll fill you guys in in a few days after I break it in and fly it a few times. I realize probably nobody reads this post but I may have some valuable contributions after I run this puppy up. I just love the way this engine looks on my plane, I can't get over it so I'll get this thing running good no matter what.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.