Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Please, help for prop nut wrong?

Old 05-22-2005, 01:27 AM
westy1957
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please, help for prop nut wrong?

Hello!
I have a little question for you: I can't understand how to use the prop nut of my new Saito 100.
I'll explain:
I have bought a Saito 100 from a friend and it came to me with a very long prop nuts that I cannot understand how to use them because they are too long. The seller told me that they are the proper prop nuts for a spinner, but I can't understand anyway how to use them and wich spinner to use.
You can see some photos of the nuts here, please: [link=http://www.olivotti.com/aerei/saito100/]Saito 100 prop nuts photos[/link]
If I can't use them easily, I will buy this part from horizon: [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=SAI100135]Prop nut part[/link] perhaps this would be the better thing to do (?)
Excuse my bad english, I am italian and speak only little your language.
Ciao
Paolo
Old 05-22-2005, 01:49 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Please, help for prop nut wrong?

HI PAOLO! I think your command of the ENGLISH language is at least as good as mine! $10 for a couple of nuts and a washer[]? This hobby is too expensive for me! I think HORIZON is kind of expensive in general. Anyway, if you choose ALL FORUMS then look for the ENGINE FORUM, I'll bet there are lots of guys there who can tell you exactly the best thing to do.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:19 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The shorter and fatter nut is used for the type of spinner where the mounting plate is in front of the prop hub with a skirt of material towards the rear and the cutouts for the prop in that skirt. Then a nose cone fits onto the rear portion.

The longer nut that is smaller in diameter is not a prop nut at all. Instead it's the extension joiner used for metal spinners that have a screw that runs through from the nose and goes into that long joiner nut. It is intended to be used on the shaft after the other nut has been put in place. But in the picture you have it backwards. The hex on the coupler nut should be against the prop nut hex.

The type of spinner that the fatter prop nut is intended for are very rare now. You could adapt to using the propnut supplied by cutting off most of the part that sticks out past the washer and file the rest down so it's even with the back of the washer. Or you could drill the prop hub part way through to let the stub fit into the hub.

Or you could just go down to a hardware store with your engine and find a couple of cheap nuts and washers that fit the shaft. The price of the nuts and washer from Horizon is .... well... IT'S NUTS ! ! ! !.... Being a Saito I would imagine the thread is metric.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:25 AM
westy1957

Thankyou very much!!! Now is more clear for me!!!
Old 05-22-2005, 11:37 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Westy:

The way you have the two nuts and the washer mounted in the top right photo is correct. What you have is the Tru-Turn adapter set for thick prop hubs, it requires the prop hub to be reamed to allow the round part of the larger nut to go inside the prop hub. Tighten the larger one, then the long one screws into the larger one with the hex AWAY from the other nut. the longer one has a tapered end to match the tapered seat inside the larger nut to increase the locking force.

Bill.

PS: Bruce, this is the only time I can remember your having gotten one wrong. Guess you've never used the Tru-Trun adapters. wr.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:07 PM
westy1957

what you say means that I can't use that engine without the right spinner?
I need to get the normal 2 nuts and washer to use that engine!!!!
In Italy is very difficult to find them for me[]
Old 05-22-2005, 12:31 PM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Westy:

No sir, a spinner is not required.

You can use the nut and washer set as it is without a spinner, so long as the prop hub thickness is great enough to tighten the nuts. As you show in the bottom right picture this will be around 3/4" or 19mm total. That particular set is intended for use with a spinner having a thick back plate, there's a different set that does not fit into the prop hub allowing a thinner prop.

If the prop hub is too thin for that you can alternately get a thick flat washer that is a close fit on the crankshaft allowing the end of the larger nut to press directly on it, then use the locking nut to seat inside the larger nut in the normal manner.

Picture shows your set on the left, the conventional adapter it on the right. Both available from Tru-Turn. Click [link=http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?exact_match=on&p_id=tt0823a&ppinc=adaptprecision]here[/link] to see them.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96459.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	274876  
Old 05-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Paolo,

What they are saying is that the nut set you have is just like the one at[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=TRU0822]Saito tru turn nut set[/link]. This designed to fit Tru Turn metal spinners like this [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=TRU2502B120]one[/link], which are held together by a bolt that goes in from the front of the spinner. The bolt screws into the small hole in the long prop nut when they are installed on the engine like you have them in your pictures.

If you don't want to use a tru turn spinner, you don't have to. As long as the tru turn nuts will fit inside the spinner you want to use, you should be ok.

Good luck,
Duke