Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Rossi Engine Break-in??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 12:36 AM
bgriff99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rossi Engine Break-in??

Hi,

I just bought a Rossi .45 engine w/ tune-pipe to use on my Thunder Tiger Extra ARF. Much to my dismay there were no directions included on how to break it in.... anybody have any info here??

Please Help!
Old 01-02-2002, 01:06 AM
downunder-RCU

Default Rossi run in

Well I won't quote exactly from the instructions because I think the original Italian was interpreted by a Chinese into Outer Mongolian and then into "English"
First up they recommend zero nitro fuel with 15% castor for running in. I used 20% all castor...up to you. Open the needle 4 to 5 turns, start the engine and go to full throttle. OK...one quote.."During the run-in, the exhaust gas should be very evident". What they mean is rich...I initially set the mixture so that it would briefly crack into a 4 stroke but run mainly in a rich 2 stroke.
Over the following 40 minutes of running gradually close the needle but make sure that it's still running rich even at 40 minutes.
Old 01-02-2002, 01:26 AM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rossi Break-in

As with any ABC engine, three things are critically important:
1- Engine must come up to operating temprature fast. That means you fire it up, go to wide open and peak out the rpm's. Thats right, lean it out to max rpm's then richen it up to about halfway between 4-stroke break and max rpm's. This ensures that the cylinder heats up to operating temps to minimize the interference fit. If you don't do it this way, the cylinder/piston fit will be prematurly worn out of tolerance.

2- Heat cycling is important. Run it 2 or three minutes (wide open) then shut it down let it cool completly. do this for at least the first fifteen minutes of runtime.

3- The proper fuel. ABC's do not like all synthetic fuels and Rossi's being high compression do not like high nitro. All my Rossi's run best on zero nitro to 7.5% nitro, any more than that they tend to get finnikey. Oil- I have always had the best performance and longevity with 20% total oil, with that content being: 80% synthetic, 20% castor.

If you do not make your own fuel, I highly recommend Sig Champion fuel 5% nitro for this engine. My second choice would be Wildcat Premium Extra. I would stay away from fuels not specifying the oil content on the label or those that measure ingredients by weight.

Hope this helps, this is what has always worked for me.

Fuelman
Old 01-02-2002, 03:28 AM
Mr. Wildcat

Default Engine Break In

Engine breakin: See the following good website for engine break in instructions: http://members.home.net/moorman1/ABC.htm Your engine actually is ABN (Aluminum, Brass, Nickel, not AB C-hrome, but same break in procedure for a non-ringed engine.
How to tune your engine can be found in links listed on this website (RC University) http://members.home.net/rcuniversity/RCUCatalog.htm Please read as much as you can to become familar with the principles of RC engines and other RC related topics.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:07 AM
RossiRay

Mr. Wildcat,
I am not aware of the Rossi company using anything but chrome for its liner plating material. Where did you come about the information that they use nickel?
Old 01-02-2002, 01:17 PM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

Check out the website;
http://www.novarossi.com/avvertenze/ing/running.html

They also say chrome.
Old 01-03-2002, 03:08 AM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks Mr Wildcat for sharing the above links to the sites. I find Ed Moormans site extremely informative, especially for helping people in a forum such as this.
I am glad to see the method I mentioned above (actually its the way George Aldrich taught me) is very similar to Ed's.
Again, outstanding sites, thank you for sharing.

I too have the understanding that the Rossi's are ABC, educate me on where you find the info of them being ABN, I sure would like to know.

Fuelman
Old 01-03-2002, 05:41 PM
Macgyver

Default Nickel?

The only company to use nickel is OS,somtimes the OS guys donot like to hear that only OS does that to there engines.Rossi has A nice web site in Italy Have you guy's seen it yet? When I find it I will post it.It's has to do with the Japanese pollution laws,in the US it's geting bad to.Take care-Mac