Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 150 High End Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Barnowl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 150 High End Problem

My Saito 150 idles good, has a good midrange, and a nice transition. The problem is that when at idle and I add full throttle, the engine revs up to something a few hundred rpm short of full power for four or five seconds then advances to full power. Am using a 16 X 8 prop, have tried both 10 and 15% fuel, took the cowl off and cleaned out the carb, and it had no obvious air leaks. Any good ideas?
Old 05-27-2005, 04:44 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Saito 150 High End Problem

It's got extra fuel in it and when you speed it up, it take a second for the extra fuel to burn out.

Your idle is still a little rich.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 05-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You may be running it rich... Four or five seconds is a long time... it may seem that long when watching the engine... but is it really that long?

Lean the idle out until the prop flies off when you slam open the throttle... then richen it a bit... Just kidding
Lean it out until you can clearly hear the engine kicking back when you add throttle. It should be fairly obvious. If you don't know what to listen for, then watch out, because the prop may indeed leave the engine.
Normally you can really hear the knocking sound when throttling up too lean.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:01 AM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

I fly the S 1.8 and they are very much like the 1.5. THe 1.5 will kick the prop more than the 1.8.

Use a tac and prop the engine for about 9800 rpm. Then richen to get about 9600. Next set the low end with the pinch test. I have found it is better to leave it tiny bit rich to give smooth transition.

I also use OSF plug and 15 % cool power. This should work for you also. You didnt' mention fuel, plug and/or were breaking it in or not. Jim
Old 05-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Barnowl

I am using an OSF plug, 10% Cool Power. I have been using the engine for six months, so it is well broken in, and has been running perfectly till recently.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:08 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Screw your low speed needle in 1/8 turn and try your transition to high speed after a few seconds idling.

Do this until it smooths out. If it starts doing like Rudeboy says (backfiring) you've gone too far with the low end needle.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 05-29-2005, 07:24 AM
FenceMagnet

If this is, as you say, a new development, look for what has changed! Don't just say everything is the same, I didn't change anything! For the performance of your engine to suddenly change, something in the system has changed! Don't overlook binding in the carb-barrel or linkage....

[:-]
Old 05-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Barnowl

I finally got an opportunity to try the engine again this morning, and sure enough, you guys were right. Leaning the low end 1/8 turn solved the problem. Thanks to all who replied!

Lee