Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Shame on me, 1st MDS problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 09:49 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shame on me, 1st MDS problem

I am a strong advocate of MDS engines because I have flown many with never a problem even when using the older C1 carb until now.

I picked up another MDS .58 and it has exhibited many of the same problems that others have experienced and complained about. My MDS .58 would lean out and overheat and die in flight. I would have to richen the mixture so much that the plane would barely take off and then once off the air, the engine would lean in flight to a normal setting.

I checked every possible cause of this problem three times and I can't find a cause for this occurence.

I finally purchased a new carb from Just Engines in England and my MDS .58 runs as good as my other MDS engines. I thought I'd share this with those who have experienced carb problems. The new carb only cost me about 30 bucks shipped and it came in a week!

Andy

PS I was too lazy to remove the cowl and carb off of my other MDS .58 to see if the swap would verify the original carb was bad.

PSS This engines LOVES an APC 11.5 x 6 prop. This is an incredible prop that gives good forward speed and sufficient take off thrust.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:52 PM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Shame on me, 1st MDS problem

HB, is the new carb a C2 or one of JEs Chinese generics?
Old 06-04-2005, 10:13 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Paul would rather sell you a J'en carb. He doesn't actually have true MDS parts. Some other company in England sells them.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 06-05-2005, 08:04 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a J'en carb and it works great! I still have to dial in the low end a bit, its slightly rich, but will wait when engine has more time on it. I ran it for about 4 flights today (10 minutes apiece) and am very pleased with its performance.