Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

saito 182t glow plug insert

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 09:28 PM
alpinestar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saito 182t glow plug insert

Hello gang!
Well, I learned one the hard way while trying to tune a 182t mounted on a GP GeeBee. Kept dropping a cylinder, so I decided to try changing plugs. I checked all four plugs (the 182t is a dual plug engine) and found that the front plugs were not in the best of shape, so I changed the old #8 plugs out for some OS A3 plugs in the front plug locations, and put in a fresh pair of OS-F plugs in the rear. Fired it up & all went beautifully until the starboard cylinder launched the front plug out of the engine & bounced off the house. After finding the needle in the haystack, I found that the brass threaded insert for the glow plug had sheared off at the area between the flange of the insert and the external thread of the insert which mates to the head. Evidentely, the short thread of the A3 plug did not spread the combustion load to enough of the insert & so it shot out like a bullet!! I was able to unscrew the remaining insert that was stuck in the head without damaging the threads in the head. So now my question (finally!) Does anyone know of a source for this threaded insert?? Seems that in all the parts listings I have found for this engine, the threaded insert not availiable seperately, only with a new cylinder. I can make a new one without a problem, but I'm unsure if Saito uses an interference fit for this thread, any type of sealant/loctite/etc..... I'm worried about threading something in that will sooner or later make it's way out. Any suggestions?????
thanks!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:47 PM
campbec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: saito 182t glow plug insert

Hi,

I would try a heli coil or nu-coil. Failing that Clarence Lee offers a service there in the USA to fit same. From what I have read from others this is at a very reasonable cost. I would try the local machine shop first unless you want to buy the whole heli coil kit. Hopefully this is a "one off" occurence[]

Cheers,

Colin