Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

norvel engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:56 AM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default norvel engine

How do you know what engine you have if you never had the box or paper work and all it says is norvel 1.0 on the motor never heard of it before any one have any ideas were i mite fine the answer to this it must be old because it does not look like the new engines that are out now
Old 06-16-2005, 06:31 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: norvel engine

1 cc = .061 cubic inch

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 06-16-2005, 10:27 AM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok great info thanks now i know
Old 06-16-2005, 11:10 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I got my first Norvel engines, only the .15 was Revlite, the others were not. You will find that the 1.0 is only ink and will come off the first time you use the engine. Since I had 1.0 (.061) and 0.8 (.049) engines, I scratched the size in the aluminum.

Norvel had some trouble with the older glow plug and went to their "Freedom" plug. The heads must match the plug. If you have the older plug and get a new one, you will need the newer head. The newer head was made to accept a standard glow driver, so if a glow driver fits, you probably have the newer one. I THINK the older plug required more current to work.

It is/was an excellent engine. Good luck with it.

George
Old 06-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Norvel (Russian made) used 2 volt plugs as do many european engines as the 2 volt lead acid cells were the commonly used starter batteries. This caused many engine starting problems when the Norvel .061 and ilk became common here in the US. Now most of the engines delivered state side have the 1.2 volt plugs although not interchangeable with the common 1/4-32 threaded plugs in normal use.