Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Is my .46FX on it's way to the boneyard?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Is my .46FX on it's way to the boneyard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 10:20 AM
DamonTX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my .46FX on it's way to the boneyard?

I've been running this regularly since around 1999 on several airplanes. It has always been run on the rich side with a lot of green oil residue (Cool Power 15%..green) on the wing after each flight. On the current airplane, a Sig Somethin' Extra it has 58 flights this summer.

Last weekend I noticed that green oil on the wing is now black. Does this mean the piston liner is wearing out? I remember this being a problem with the earlier FXs and OS was working on the problem. If it is about to go, I have no regrets, it's been a really good engine and definitely worth what I paid for it. However, if there is something I can do then I'll do it.

Damon
Old 08-08-2005, 10:26 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Is my .46FX on it's way to the boneyard?

Hi!
Black oil means running lean! Not that the engine is worn out.
Could also mean that the silencer is loose and rubbing against the engine, but this mostly produce a grey tone to the exhaust gases.
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 08-08-2005, 11:11 AM
DamonTX

Thanks man! I'll richen it up a little next time out and see what I get.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you decide to rebuild it, consider getting some of the parts for the heli engine.[X(]

You can use the cylinder sleeve, piston, piston ring, piston pin, and rod from the heli engine to make your 46FX a ringed engine.

I thought performance was a LOT better than the ABC FX. I realize that it'll cost you $100--$125 to rebuild it. You could buy a new AX for that.

But I wanted to experiment with it and compare an ABN to a ringed. [8D] I figured--one way or another I'm going to spend $100-$150 to replace the FX--so why not spend the same amount of $$ and find out how it runs with a ringed piston.[&:]

I broke it in at 17,000RPM with a little bity prop and a pretty rich setting with 22% total oil and 10% nitro. I spent about 3/4 gallon breaking it in on a stand. I had to keep increasing the sizes of the prop during breakin. It would get stronger, and leaner--and I'd have to put a bigger prop on it to slow it back down to 16,500--17,000RPM. After about 3/4 gallon--it stopped gaining significant RPMs.

I got one of the best SCREAMERS I've have ever had. It ran WAY better than the FX.

Dummy me, I sold it after running less than 2 gallons through it.[] Wish I still had it.[&o]

Old 08-08-2005, 02:12 PM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damon,

If you just took the time to read what OS have to say about fuel; use fuel that contains Castor oil, you would not have to worry so much. Cool Power is all-synthetic and not a very good one (not as good as Sachs Aerosave/Aerosynth II).

From the OS Q&A:
-------------------------
You should prop your engine to allow higher RPMs. ABN engines work better at higher RPM. You should also use a fuel that contains Castor oil in the lubrication mix. Castor oil helps the engine run well and is the better lubricant for our ABN engines. All-synthetic fuels have been known to cause difficulties in running at times.
-------------------------
Old 08-09-2005, 06:43 PM
DamonTX

Darzelon...No need to get testy there, you are right, I should have consulted the manual first. However, I just richened it up a little yesterday and I was back to wiping green oil off the wing again at the end of the day.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:27 PM
ICE_MAN

Full synthetic fuel should cause you no problems.. I like Full snth compared to 80/20 castor mix.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:10 AM
DarZeelon

Ice_Man,

If you just go into the [link=http://www.klotzlube.com/storeCats.asp?ci=8]Klotz web site[/link], you will see that even they don't praise their all-synthetic Techniplate the way you do.

Their synthetic offers less lubricity and a lower flash-point (less protection), than their own BeNOL Castor oil.

If American made all-synthetic has not given you trouble yet, you are either very careful, or very lucky...

The European Sachs Aerosynth II/Aerosave and Motul Micro synthetic oils offer better lubricity, but still a lower flash point than Castor oil.
They cannot be obtained in the USA, as far as I know.

There are previous RCU threads discussing the oil issue.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Nitro10

Everyone should have a little Castor in their diet! Seriously, bean oil is unmatched in engine protection. Castor is a mess cleaning up once its gets baked on a head.....but at the same time it clings to the internals better than any other lube.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Fastsky

Just for info: The instructions that came with one of my engines says that it does not recomend using fuel that has coloring added to it. It also suggests to use a fuel that has castor in it and at least 18% oil content.[8D]
Old 08-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

I used to be a diehard castor/syn blend fuel user but about 6 years ago I switched to Coolpower 15% and their 20/20 blend and have not had any problems at all.

I run my engines about 300 rpm rich of max lean rpm and verify mixture setting EVERY flight with a pinch test at full throttle. So far I have had only 1 engine wear out and that was my MDS .68 which had over 200 flight hours on it and still ran but not as strong when it was new.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:15 AM
DamonTX

Homebrewer...I'm with you. Why change when you're happy with the performance of your current fuel? And obviously your engines are lasting just fine too.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:16 AM
DarZeelon

Re-edited after the previous post was misread...

According to Harry Higley, George Aldrich and others, if well maintained and with the correct fuel, an ABC engine will last 100-150 hours, an ABN about half that and the ring, for a ringed engine, should last about the same as an ABN setup.
After ring replacement, this can be extended for another such period, before the engine requires more expensive service/replacement.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:25 AM
DamonTX

He said 200 hours...not 200 flights.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:16 AM
Mike 1
My Feedback: (9)

Who really cares, I run cool power 15 cause I like it.
My engines run fine,and last a long time.I don't count flights,or hours.If/when I wear one out,I'll get another.Yes,I run it in ringed,and abc engines.
Mike
Old 08-12-2005, 07:28 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Yes, it had over 200 hours when I sold it. I bought the engine used from a friend who kept a log on the engine and I decided to keep with the tradition he started for this engine. The engine, a MDS .68, was run on a scratch built ultra hots look alike clone which was my daily flyer for almost 10 months out of the year. It seems like for several summers she was spent more time running than not and a hot refuel option and onboard battery generator would have been great. I don't know if running her typically at high throttle settings the entire time helped but it sure didn't hurt. The previous owner did use a castor fuel blend and I did start out with a blended fuel until I stocked up on Coolpower which I was able to get a factory price.

I can't explain why it lasted longer than what engine experts said it should last. Russians have been known for making crude products that last very long.

I have a new and unused MDS .68 sitting on my shop and I'll start a log on it once I can find a suitable airframe for it.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:50 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Homebrewer
I can't explain why it lasted longer than what engine experts said it should last.
It lasted longer because the figures given are way too low for a properly cared for engine. I mean, give me a break, 50-75 hours for a ringed engine? I can't remember how many hundreds of hours I did with a ringed Enya before I fitted new rings, and that was only because it was needing maybe half a dozen flicks to get it started.