Club Enya

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Ram Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Club Enya

ORIGINAL: colingw

ORIGINAL: downunder

The things you find out about Enyas . The first version of the 09-IV was identical to the III except the exhaust port was on the opposite (normal) side. This was followed by a second version with an enlarged exhaust port but I don't know how much difference there was. Then there was a third version with a single (rear) ball race and a red anodised prop driver.
Mine is of the 2nd version with the enlarged exhaust port. It is distinctly stronger than my 09-III. Turns an MA GF3 7x4 in the mid 15,000s - highest I've seen is 15,600. The 09-III won't go much over 14,500. The 09-IV will turn a 7x5 at the same RPM that my 09-III reaches on a 7x4.

So th IV ain't so bad eh?

Thanks Colin,
Bill
Old 10-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Ed, I think you're talking about the nasty bark in the exhaust, the .90 and the .53TN don't have that sharp edged bark. The 1.55 I had had a really irritating sounding exhaust note. As Roy Clark sang' "Thank God and GreyHound they're gone".
Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

RC Phile:

Been running Enya .09 III and IV engines all summer on control line planes and have encountered similar problems to yours. In my case the problem was that the engine was over compressed and running hot. Here is how I run mine and it runs great.

Fuel: 10% Nitro with at least 25% ALL Castor
Plug: Short idle bar medium to hot plug, Fox RC short works great
Prop: 7X3 or 7x4 master airscrew prop
Pressure: muffler pressure
Needle Setting: Launch with engine just burbling between 4 stroke and 2 stroke, mostly 2 stroke at full throttle.

In my case I was experiencing problems running 15% Nitro Omega fuel (too much nitro and not enough oil) and a long plug. I haven't looked at the Enya RC carb in a while but make sure the hole in the spray bar is pointed down out of sight and slightly towards the rear of the engine.

Take a look at the plug you are using now. If the element is deformed then you are probably over compressed for the fuel and plug you are using or running too lean.

Finally here is a control line tip for you- Three to five drops of Original formula Armor All per gallon to control fuel foaming. Trust me it works like magic!!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:59 PM
R/C Phile

Hi 2Fast,

GO Control Line !

Thanks for the feedback, the key here I think is your mentionning heat and the Castor Oil content.

I also run Omega 15% Nitro. I will definitely try to add Castor (And Armor All) to my fuel. Foaming definitely is a part of the equation as the tank is directly attached to the firewall on this particular plane and it's subjected to the worst vibration on the whole plane.

I had a similar problem with a Cox 049 Black Widow that my 8 year old son and I flew all summer long on a scratch built 60's Control Line Combat Cat look alike that we re-designed and down-sized for Cox fun in our backyard. My Cox motors were also easily overheated and extremely needle sensitive until I started adding an additional 10% Castor to the 30% Nitro Heli fuel we use. That made all the difference in the world..

Why did I not think of trying that?

Come to think of it this little Enya also overheats quite easily..

Like for example testing the 7 X 5 prop it would start and rev-up fairly decently then quickly start to sag as the heat would build-up. At that point I would have richen the mixture a bunch to cool it off at the expense of top-end power and get an overly rich idle (It's an air bleed carb) .

I did look at the plug, there is no deformation and the element spring part is gray with some brown coating on the body and a very light dark coating on the 1st part of the element (Before it gets to the spring) from all I have seen that means slightly rich.

Currently, my best settings were slightly rich on level flight which would then lean-out during vertical maneuvers which is consistent with the looks of the plug

P.S If you want to see the Video of us flying the Combat Wing it's here: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vzPJtNqvvI]1/2A Combat Cat[/link]

Old 10-22-2009, 12:55 AM
colingw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't found any need for more than 5% nitro when running Enya 09s with an OS A3 plug. My typical fuel is 22% castor, 5% nitro (sometimes make 10% as well - which runs great in my TD .049). My standard prop for the Enya 09 is a MA GF3 series 7x4.

I run a fair few older type control line engines with traditional metallurgy, and have found that I tend to get dodgy runs as described above if I use a 50/50 synthetic/castor fuel. If I got to all castor, and keep it a little above 20%, runs seem to be a lot more consistent and controllable. The sort of engines I'm talking about here are OS MAX 15, Enya 09-III, OS 10 FSR, OS MAX-S 30, etc.

For hotter weather it would be worth going to a slightly cooler plug - Enya #4 instead of 3, OS 8 instead of A3.

When all's well, with the .09 to .15 size engines I get a run that sounds like this :- (OS 15 in JR Flite Streak).
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSm-TlsbWXA[/youtube]
Old 10-22-2009, 01:43 AM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is fair to say that most engines of that era-including US made ones like Cox, K&B and Fox all run better on castor based fuels. The ferrous metallurgy pretty much dictates it. A lot didn't have bushed rods either-another area where castor scores as an EDL. Equally you hear of certain modern motors-OS LA's in particular seem to crop up with distressing frequency in this regard-that run out pretty fast. Perhaps they might not if people used castor in them.........
Enyas have always had a reputation for excellent longevity-more so than OS. You hear comments along the lines of 'you just can't wear them out' etc. Some of that may be due to machining-but I doubt Enyas are better made than OS's (and probably no worse either) so I suspect the difference is down to material selection, and whatever alloys and steels Enya is using now or used in their earlier motors seems to be particularly hard wearing in use.

'ffkiwi'
Old 10-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Ed, I think you're talking about the nasty bark in the exhaust, the .90 and the .53TN don't have that sharp edged bark. The 1.55 I had had a really irritating sounding exhaust note. As Roy Clark sang' ''Thank God and GreyHound they're gone''.
I am greatful to have a 1.55. I can't wait to fire her up for the fist time.

Ever hear an Offenhuser back off on the back straight at Indy?

Regards,
Bill
Old 10-26-2009, 11:58 AM
R/C Phile

Bingo !

2Fast was spot-on with the Castor content comment.

Mission Accomplished: Unlimited vertical (At a surprising clip) without sagging.

I switched the plug a McCoy MC8 (Super Heavy duty element, medium hot) and added 10% Castor by volume to my Omega 15% Nitro Fuel and it did the trick.

Morgan Fuels "Blends" page states that the Omega 15% is 30 Castor / 70% Synthetic but with only 17% total oil content.

According a to a spreadsheet I created, Adding 10% Sig Castor has corrected the mix to 50/50 Castor - Synthetic for a total of 25% oil and 14% Nitro.

It now climbs vertical like it never has before, the needle is pretty much consistent, and the idle is reliable with a good transition.

As an added bonus, the mixture is such that it's nice and steady at straight and level, climbs as mentionned before, and limits itself to a certain RPM in a dive where it 4 strokes a little: In effect creating a "Governor" and keeping the Loop speed pretty consistent.

I think the "Governor" is a nice unexpected bonus as it's already beyond Enya's "Revo Range" of 14K when it's on the ground. It shows me about 15K with the 8 X 3 and probably unwinds to 16-16.5 in flight.

Pretty decent for a 40 year old design plain bushing, non-Schnuerle 09. [8D]

Old 10-26-2009, 01:06 PM
049flyer

R/C Phile

Thanks for the update! It's always nice to know when your advice actually helps. I struggled with your same issue earlier this summer. I put a long plug in my Enya 09 thinking that as long as the piston didn't hit it I was fine. My problems were similar to yours very sensitive needle, excessive heat, sagging in flight and general inconsistent runs. I was starting to doubt my love affair with Enya and all because of a long plug.

Finally I was driving in my car one day and thinking about the problem and concluded that the engine was over compressed for the fuel I was using. I switched from the Omega 15% and changed to the same fuel I had been running in my old trusty Fox 35, Powermaster 10% nitro and 29% all castor. Then I checked the plug and remembered that I had a long plug installed, changed to a short plug and like magic the engine ran perfect. Like an entirely different engine. Amazing!

How many people just bad mouth the product instead of taking the time to figure out the problem? Heck if I had just followed the directions I would have been fine!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:13 PM
049flyer

R/C Phile

I just checked out your video and I love it! How old is the young man flying the plane? Control line is great fun and perfect for kids of all ages. Fly in your back yard! Great looking plane too. We fly the Goldberg Lil Satans with Cox Sure Starts in this area.

1/2a control line is about the most fun per dollar that there is!
Old 10-26-2009, 02:01 PM
R/C Phile

ORIGINAL: 2fast

R/C Phile
How old is the young man flying the plane? Control line is great fun and perfect for kids of all ages. Fly in your back yard! Great looking plane too. We fly the Goldberg Lil Satans with Cox Sure Starts in this area.

1/2a control line is about the most fun per dollar that there is!

That is my 8 year old son, he has gotten braver (and better ) since.

You're not kidding about 1/2A control line ! I fly my (Enya 09 powered) R/C Sig Little Extra within a short walking distance from my house, when my neighbor saw me walking by with the Extra he asked: R/C must be more fun than the Control line plane right? Nope I answered, both are about as much fun, just different..

C/L is more physical since you spin 'round and actually feel the control surface's effect on the plane, a very different experience from R/C. I had forgotten how crazy fun those little screamers were after all those years!

We are in the process of building some foam "Osborne Extreme Platters" (Plans from Aeromaniacs.com) to practice 049 powered C/L Combat. We're both pumped about going "Head to Head"
Old 11-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Racinrc14
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to prep an old R120 for a Midwest Giles and need to know a few things:

It is a used engine that I got from a friend who had it on an edge or similar. I never saw it run, but he said he flew it regularly with no problems. I tried to run it on a stand briefly with old Cool Power Four Stoke blend. Probably a fuel issue, but nontheless I couldn't get it running smoothly. Seemed like it just got hot no matter what the needles were set at. And no idle either. I understand how the tuning process works, but I have no literature detailing where the needles need to be set for a good starting point. Looks like an air-bleed style carb, but being an Enya I imagine it is more than what it appears.

Also, previous owner lost the original exhaust and had a Mac's tuned pipe arrangement on it. I want to put a pitts style arrangement on it and am looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance,

Tommy
Old 11-07-2009, 05:36 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

There's a manual for it posted back up the way as a PDF
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Vt57468.pdf (1.02 MB, 68 views)
Ki20300.pdf (820.0 KB, 32 views)
Lg17575.pdf (446.8 KB, 32 views)
Ej12883.pdf (355.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-08-2009, 03:56 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet

Ed, I think you're talking about the nasty bark in the exhaust, the .90 and the .53TN don't have that sharp edged bark. The 1.55 I had had a really irritating sounding exhaust note. As Roy Clark sang' ''Thank God and GreyHound they're gone''.

Regards,
Bill

I know what an Offenhauser is/was, but I doubt if very many follks younger than myself do (I'm 63).

I'm familiar with the exhaust bark of the Enya 1.20R that I owned some years ago. In fact, the exhaust note of a fellow modeller's 1.20R is what led me to buy my 1.20R. The exhaust note had a well defined thump that was a bit bassy and well defined. Of course, different folks hear things differently.

Good luck with your 1.55. Not that I think you will need it.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Hobbsy

Early Offy had 15.1 to 1 compression ratio
4.28125 bore 4.375 stroke
420 hp @ 6,600

Early turbo version produced 1,000 hp @ 44.3 lbs boost
Final version limited to 24.6 lbs boost and 770 hp at 9,000

I only have three Enya fourstrokes left, a .46MKII, a .53TN and a late version .90
Old 11-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Racinrc14

Thank you! I read these message boards here at work and rarely have time to back-read threads.

ORIGINAL: w8ye

There's a manual for it posted back up the way as a PDF
Old 11-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: NM2K

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet

Regards,
Bill

I know what an Offenhauser is/was, but I doubt if very many follks younger than myself do (I'm 63).

I'm familiar with the exhaust bark of the Enya 1.20R that I owned some years ago. In fact, the exhaust note of a fellow modeller's 1.20R is what led me to buy my 1.20R. The exhaust note had a well defined thump that was a bit bassy and well defined. Of course, different folks hear things differently.

Good luck with your 1.55. Not that I think you will need it.

Ed Cregger
You are correct Ed I need the 1.55 like a cat needs a side pocket. It was purchased new in 01/2001 and offered to by very nice guy in Oregon for $325.00. It's never been run and he threw-in a glow plug sarter wire extension, original manual, glow plug, exhaust pipe and muffler, and a model aircraft magazine article. I knew that if I didn't buy it I would never buy a new one at about $725.00 today. I have given thought to building a very large airboat or "swamp glider" for it. But, I think the hull would have to be at least 3' long and 2' wide. I have wanted a model four cycle for about 25 years. Why? Cause they're cute. I also have a nice Enya .46 4C that I have no use for.

Crazy in Michigan.

If it don't suck, sqeeze . . .

Best regards,
Bill
Old 11-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Ram Jet

420 hp @ 6,600

I only have three Enya fourstrokes left, a .46MKII, a .53TN and a late version .90

I believe the turo Offy also produced nearly 4 H.P per cubic inch which is astounding!

Regards,
Bill
Old 11-08-2009, 11:47 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

420 hp @ 6,600

Do yourself a favor and fly one of them for a year or two. You'll begin to appreciate an Enya that way. It's the small things that matter over time that sets Enya engines apart from the rest. I love all of my four-stroke engines, but my Enyas are my favorites. I wish they would resume R&D and sell us some new Enya four-stroke designs.

Good on the info about the Offy. I used to dream of driving cars that were powered by an Offy, after I learned how lightweight and powerful they were.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: NM2K

420 hp @ 6,600

Thanks for the encouragenet Ed.

I learned about the reliabilitay Of the Enya through an Austrailan website "Supercool Racing Propellers". After reading raves of one writer I wound up buying seven Enyas in the past year. I've had most of them apart and I am impressed with the design and workmanship. I am also impressed with a K&B 3.5 marine outboard that I am rebuilding and modifying.

I haven't run my .46 4C and 1.55 but before I do they will be run with Fran Bowman rings that I will gap myself.

I'll keep you posted.

Best regards,
Bill
Old 11-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Hobbsy

Bill, I can't imagine either the .46 or the 1.55 needing rings unless they abused and I mean abused badly. As you know I sold my 1.55 and 1.20GP.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Ram Jet

Bill, I can't imagine either the .46 or the 1.55 needing rings unless they abused and I mean abused badly. As you know I sold my 1.55 and 1.20GP.
Hi Ed,

When I took my used Enya .46 apart for cleaning and inspection I measurd the ring end gap and was acceptable for my Honda 500 c.c. single - .026. The little .46 came in at .024. Frank Bowman recommends .01 for engines under .050 and .015 for model engines over .050. I agree with him. For some reason modelers have no regard for ring end gap. Most of us are running alcohol which requires a great deal of compression for best perfomance. The Meyer Drake Indy four cylinder Offenhauser ran a 15:1 compression raito - which would be nearly impossible on gasoline.

My 1.55 will not even see it's first bench run without Bownan rings ( I'm getting them oversized and will do the final fit myself). The folks at Enya haven't a clue what the end gaps for my engines should be - Frank Bowman did.

Just a 61 year old's ramblings.

Best regards,
Bill
Old 11-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Racinrc14

What sort of fuel does the R120 like? I've never owned such a cantankerous engine.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Hobbsy

5% max nitro and 18-20% lube with at least some castor. What is cantankerous about it, that word covers a lot of terratory?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:04 PM
equip
My Feedback: (64)

Hello every one got a question or two what can you tell me about the GM type carburetor, do you need a pump, how do they run. I have two 80Xs and four 60Xs all with GM carbs. I have not run any of them yet thought id better ask someone that knows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.