Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club FOX!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Timmer01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Club FOX!

folded my wing today, well "yesterday....." killed my decades old fox 46bb. man, I, I LOVED that engine.... (
Old 05-14-2012, 04:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Timmer01

folded my wing today, well "yesterday....." killed my decades old fox 46bb. man, I, I LOVED that engine.... (

Send it to Fox and get a 50% discount on a new Fox 46bb.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:45 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: Timmer01

folded my wing today, well ''yesterday.....'' killed my decades old fox 46bb. man, I, I LOVED that engine.... (

Send it to Fox and get a 50% discount on a new Fox 46bb.
You might want to ask about the 50bb. I got their paper catalog with my head button order and the 50bb was listed. But somebody here said it was sold out. I thought I saw the 46 crossed out of the catalog. So you might want to check anyway.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

Does anybody have a recent catalog they can scan?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:54 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Does anybody have a recent catalog they can scan?
It is confusing. I got a stack of sheets, some of the items were repeated in two documents. So, I could try to scan, but I might end up providing contradicting info. I'll try later tonight if somebody doesn't get to it first.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:24 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They could very well be sold out of a particular engine. But they'll likely be making up a new batch of them later. They tend to make production runs of each model of a engine in batches during the year. They run off a batch of 15 engines, then 25 engines, then 40 engines and 45 engines, and so on. Then the cycle repeats again. Sometimes a particular engine sells out faster than they expected.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Tarasdad

Best bet is to give them a call and see what they actually have in stock.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:40 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm going for broke with my Fox .40 that seemingly eats any wristpin clips I put in it.. I talk about it in the video, but I used hardened steel c-clips that fit very tightly in the groove in the piston. I then JB Welded the clips in place. 12oz of fuel later and it still has compression and runs.. Hoping it heals itself enough to run good for me.

Short video of the second run after the "final" repair... Very rich running, keeping it as cool as possible. The needle is out all the way. I could pull the needle out and plug the hole and the engine will still run. Kinda nutty..

Anyway, here's the video. Don't mind me blabbing away..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71BiTVleHik
Here's my back yard after the first 6oz of fuel.. Hoping to keep the bugs away.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Love the muffler extension, but it might be a little hard dragging that barrel in the air.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:33 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cougar429

Love the muffler extension, but it might be a little hard dragging that barrel in the air.
Yeah, I don't think it's all that aerodynamic. Maybe I'll add a vertical stabilizer and some flapperons. Lol.

The muffler bucket is training wheels. I'm trying to teach my engines noise manners early on, but they never listen.
When she is ready to run close to peak mixture, the bucket comes off. The TT pro muffler is much quieter than my Jettstream. I'm not using the fox muffler because it won't fit my test stand, which is fine by me. The fox muffler is teeny and loud.

P.S. the bugs returned 10 minutes after the smoke cleared. Go figure.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:17 AM
earlwb

1QwkSprt2.5r,
Not a bad idea making a flying barrel.
They already made and flew a flying barrel way back in the early 1930's.
The Italian Caproni Stipa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stipa-Caproni

Old 05-17-2012, 12:17 PM
hsukaria

It's nice that you can test run your engine in your own yard. I would get in trouble in my neighborhood. I have to go the flying club with a portable test stand to bench run my engines.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 PM
earlwb

What makes the model engine more worse than running a trimmer or lawn mower or leaf blower at home?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

How true. We lost one of our fields due to noise, (sad as it was only 3 minutes from home and had a large pond). What makes it extremely frustrating is everyone uses the area for 4-wheeling and dirt bikes.

earlwb, next to the Transavia PL-12 Airtruk that has to be one of the ugliest flying creations ever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transavia_PL-12_Airtruk
Old 05-17-2012, 04:02 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: earlwb

What makes the model engine more worse than running a trimmer or lawn mower or leaf blower at home?
the loudest noise makers are the power equipment that professional lawncare guys use. Their trimmers, leafblowers, and mowers are louder than anything else. I think that people would complain about model engines because they are toys. Besides, I would run the engines longer than yardcare tools run for. But my leafblower has a super powerful gasser in it, also very loud.

The only time I felt ok running an engine was a small .52 4-stroke running at part throttle INSIDE THE GARAGE!!![&o]

Old 05-17-2012, 04:05 PM
hsukaria

How true. We lost one of our fields due to noise, (sad as it was only 3 minutes from home and had a large pond). What makes it extremely frustrating is everyone uses the area for 4-wheeling and dirt bikes.

earlwb, next to the Transavia PL-12 Airtruk that has to be one of the ugliest flying creations ever:

that would make an interesting scale model.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:10 PM
earlwb

The Caproni Stipa was a early example of a ducted fan engine. The precursor to all of our ducted fan jet planes.
They experimented with having a more controlled and direct airflow.But at the time it didn't occur to them to use a smaller diameter multi-blade rotor like you we in our modern ducted fan planes. It actually flew really well, and the test pilots were amazed with its STOL capabilities. Unfortunately it had too much drag to fly fast but was great at lower speeds.

There were uglier airplanes, It didn't make the list which is interesting.
http://www.historynet.com/the-13-ugl...s.htm?pid=1110

Old 05-18-2012, 05:07 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: earlwb

The Caproni Stipa was a early example of a ducted fan engine. The precursor to all of our ducted fan jet planes.
They experimented with having a more controlled and direct airflow. But at the time it didn't occur to them to use a smaller diameter multi-blade rotor like you we in our modern ducted fan planes. It actually flew really well, and the test pilots were amazed with its STOL capabilities. Unfortunately it had too much drag to fly fast but was great at lower speeds.

There were uglier airplanes, It didn't make the list which is interesting.
http://www.historynet.com/the-13-ugl...s.htm?pid=1110

Looking at the Stipa-Caproni tail, the airflow from the prop is directed right at the rudder and elevator. That helps make the control surfaces work even when the plane is not moving, unike jets or narrow ducted fans that do not blow the fan air at the control surfaces.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Live Wire

Any one know the size and year of this engine? More information! .40 size range, button head ringed and rear exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32521.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1763833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63184.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1763834  
Old 05-18-2012, 06:29 PM
earlwb

From G Willie the Fox engine expert:

I think the 36 RX was the special engine Lou Crane mentioned in the Fox 45 Stunt thread. This engine was Fox's attempt to jump start his schnuerle experience. He bought the design and a lot of parts from Roselle and Fry (hence the RAF designation used sometimes).

The first ad I've ever seen was in the April 1976 MAN (reproduced here). There were versions for CL stunt (lapped, bushed, suction), Free Flight (ringed, BB, pressure), Profile Carrier Special (ringed, bushed 5A throttle), and RC (ringed, BB, throttle). The engines weren't very successful. In 1980, Fox re-introduced the engine as an RC only version (ringed, bushed, 36 style throttle)with a unique "between the mounts" muffler. It wasn't very successful either. The earlier engines (stunt) may have been sold overseas with the muffler; may one of our British friends can comment.

You could special order one of these engines from Fox with ANY combination of parts. The BB versions had a single rear BB and had a "B" stamped on the lower right corner of the front housing. The 1976 bushed engines had meehanite crank bushings; the 1980 version had a bronze bushing. You can find these with "FOX" cast on either the right or left bypass!

My Free Flight Spl weighs 10.2 oz and is 2 3/8" from the rear mount hole to the drive washer compared to 8.9 oz and 2" for the Mark III CS.

Seems like the real use for these engines is to keep us collectors looking

Bill Mohrbacher
MECA President

Old 05-19-2012, 05:08 AM
Live Wire

I thank you for your reply. I must be getting old. I am the one that sold this engine back in the mid 70's.when I had the LHS and got it back with a few other engines when the mans health went bad[:@]
thanks again
Larry K
Old 05-19-2012, 07:51 PM
earlwb

There doesn't appear to be any pictures of the New Fox Two Needle Carburetor out on the internet. So here are some pics of what it looks like.
It has a lot of similarities with the Bodeman Design Carbs as used on Webra engines, especially like the Webra TN carb. So they may have used it for inspiration, but I don't know. Now the hollow tube or spray bar inside the Webra TN carb extends only 1/2 the way across the bore, but the spray bar in the Fox carb extends all the way across the bore of the carb. The Fox carb barrel on the inside has a recessed hole to match the spray bar so that the barrel can close all the way. I also included the instructions on how to adjust the carb too. The carb also uses a main needle with a very gradual taper to it, so this allows for a wider range or less sensitive range of tuning. A sharper taper on the needle can make it more sensitive and harder to get a fine adjust setting. Especially with low or no nitro glow fuels. I have seen other brand engine carbs have such a narrow adjusting range that you wind up being 1 click rich and 1 click too lean.So having a wider adjustment range with the needle is pretty nice. Not having a detent means you don't have to compromise on trying to get the engine set just right where you wish you had 1/2 a click on the detent for the needle valve.

One rather esoteric feature of the new Fox carb is that you can rotate the spray bar slightly to change the mid-range transition. But you rarely need to make this adjustment. You might need to do this adjustment, if you had taken the carb apart and the spray bar was set off of pointing straight down. The hole in the spray bar (discharge port) should point straight down inside the bore of the carb. If you are having problems with the engine, you can remove the carb from the engine and check to see if the hole is pointing straight down or not and adjust it as needed. You loosen the two screws locking the spray bar/needle holder and rotate it ever so slightly to set it. It doesn't matter if you rotate the hole forward or backwards from pointing straight down. If the engine was running a little bit too rich in the mid-range and the low speed and high speed needles are set good, then you can try rotating the spray bar very slightly, in 1/64th of a inch to 1/32nd of a inch increments. So like I stated it is a small or tiny adjustment. Also this depends on the other two needles having been set good also. Many people tend to get ham fisted and go for 1/4 turn adjustments and you don't do that, just little movements and wait to see how the engine responds for a minute before you try it again. Do not make this adjustment while the engine is running though, way too dangerous. Anyway this ability to clock the spray bar is a feature that is on SuperTigre carbs and also K&B, and some others too. But if you read the instructions for Perry carbs you'll note that they state to make very tiny adjustments or rotate the idle mixture disc in very tiny increments. The K&B carb uses a eccentric off set screw head for this adjustment. Supoertigre also uses two locking screws on their carb. The Webra TN carb did not have this feature as the spray bar/needle holder was lightly pressed into the carb body, so it would be difficult to change it. I have retrofitted several engines with the new carb and also ran several new engines with the new carb and I have not had to make this adjustment.So I doubt you will need to make the adjustment. But it is a nice feature to have should you need it. Since the Fox factory tests runs all of their engines, if is extremely unlikely you'll need to ever use the adjustment. Plus the low speed needle will be set pretty close to perfect from the factory too.

Here is another pic as posted by Badger a while back in this thread:

You can see in this pic of a Webra TN carb where the Fox design could have been derived from.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:19 AM
earlwb

ORIGINAL: Live Wire
I thank you for your reply. I must be getting old. I am the one that sold this engine back in the mid 70's.when I had the LHS and got it back with a few other engines when the mans health went bad[:@]
thanks again
Larry K

You know, the Fox 36R engine was probably way ahead of its time back in 1976 through 1980 or so. Nowadays the modern .32, .35, .36 two stroke engines actually weigh about the same or even more. So the engine might be more successful today than it was back then. At the time the largest .20 size engine were the .25 engines that several companies including Fox made. But this engine would have outperformed them by a large margin being it was Schuerle ported and had a larger crankshaft for better breathing. But today Fox has the small case .40 engine that does quite well in this niche for a big bore 25 size engine for airplanes. So it is a moot point.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Live Wire

Well I just had to try and start it Started on first flip of the prop. Now what do I do with it
Old 05-20-2012, 03:13 PM
earlwb

Someone notified me that the old FliteLine Solutions website about Fox engines is back up and running again.
It has some good information and stuff about the older Fox engines.
http://members.shaw.ca/flitelinesolutions/projects.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.