Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club FOX!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:58 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Club FOX!

Bee careful using Missle Mist as it only has 17% oil in it. It's not the same as it was 20 years ago.
Dennis
Old 01-31-2008, 02:08 PM
flytaildragger
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I have a Fox .74 for sale. I advertised it for $89.00 plus shipping NIB. When I went to their website, I noticed that they are still sellin that engine for $241.00. Did I screw up and list the engine for dirt cheap??
Old 01-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

They'll sell it to you for about 50% less than that with any ole trade in.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:51 PM
carddfann

The prices on their website are suggested retail list prices. When you call them to order (or email), they will sell to you at factory direct cost which is about 40% off the list price without even asking for the direct price. If you trade in an engine, you'll get 50% off the list price. I know because I bought 3 for myself during Christmas because I figure I was good enough. Plus they are friendly as ever.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:57 PM
carddfann

I just now read the messages about the 60 Eagle that wore out the con rod very quickly and how the rod didn't have bushed ends. Old style engines like that 60 and the old 35 and many other similar types need very high castor content or you'll wear the rod out very fast. I would have used 29%-30% or so castor in that one. I still have and sometimes run an old K&B Torpedo and McCoy 35 (along with my Fox 35) and they need lots of castor and rich setting to survive.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 PM
flytaildragger

Okay then, Is $89.00 for the engine plus shipping too cheap? NIB.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:22 PM
carddfann

Regarding your 74 for sale, if its new in box and never ran, maybe $89 is a little bit cheap. However, it might also depend on the model. Is it the same model number as the one Fox sells now? If its an older revision, I don't think you can get the same price as what the most current revision sells for so check their website and compare model numbers if you know what model you have. I doubt if you'll get Foxes direct price anyway just because its being sold from an individual rather than the company. If someone buys from Fox, they'll fix it free if any flaws are discovered. If bought from individual, they might not honor any kind of warranty. Its a tuff judgement call. If I were you, I might ask $100 to start out because almost anyone will have a trade in engine. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:41 PM
martenson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regaring my Conrod:
I have emaild FOX and no reply, it's been 5 work day's.
My question was if the new Fox Eagle mark IV use the same messurement on the rod and if so I could buy one.

Does any one here has any channels in to Fox.

Thanks.

Joakim
Old 02-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Hobbsy

Joakim, I just talked to Wayne at Fox, they are behind on their E-mail responces, he said if you like, send the engine to them and they'll do what they can to fix you up. He said would be the safest thing to do due there being several changes in the engines over the years and yes, they made a few rods without bushings but not many.

they are at, www.foxmanufacturing.com then click on , contact us.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:30 PM
martenson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hobbsy thanks for your help, yes I have been to http://www.foxmanufacturing.com/ and there contact page.
But I'm thinking of sending them the engine, but I need to get hold of them first so we can "talk" about it and make plans for the repair.
You know I have to send it all the way from Sweden.

Hobbsy thanks again.

btw. I bought a new Fox on ebay for only $83 including shipping.

Joakim
Old 02-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Timmer01

count me in as a foxy fan!!!! I have a 46BB that is about 10 years old. still runs great. it sat for about 5 or 6 years with out being run. put some fuel in it, fliped the prop about 3 or 5 times and it fired right. iv kept oil in it through the years, a shot of PB Blaster every now and then. i think it has more power than my new saito 62. the fox pulls my engine test stand over, but the saito dosent. somewhere, i have a old .40 bushing motor, wish i could come acrost it. it was the first engine i ever owned, back when i was about 12 or 13. about 15 years ago.
i dont have a tach, so i dont know what the 46 is turning at, i have it swinging a 11X7, but may drop it down now from what i herd. althow it screams with that prop. going to tach it with a 10X7 and see what i get.

what can you guys tell me about the quickee 500 sport, there is one on ebay right now, i may bid on it. what is the displacement, and what kinda airplane would it be good on? im thinking about building a tracer, would that engine go good on it? if not im going ot put my 46 on it. and im not looking to race, just go fast!!

FORGET ABOUT QUIET ENGINES, LET ME HEAR SOME NOISE!!!!

Timmer.

P.S., hi everybody, this is my first post, iv been a addict now for, going on 15 years. althow i took a break for about 14 [sm=tongue_smile.gif]. im getting back in it.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:31 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Timmer01,
Welcome aboard. We hope you continue to enjoy yourself for many more posts.

W8ye Jim
Old 02-14-2008, 04:27 PM
fmichaelb

I think all of the Quickie 500 engines are .40's, no matter who made them. It is (was?) a racing class.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Hobbsy

Timmer, the Quicky 500 engine is a high strung engine that will not idle and has the loudest tuned pipe you ever heard. They ran about $169.00 when new.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Timmer01

idle?!? idle??!?! [X(] we dont need no stinking idle loud tuned pip eh? how would it haul around a tracer? (5.5 pound pattern plane thats not going to be doing any pattern)
Old 03-23-2008, 08:56 PM
benjhind

A friend recently gave me an old Fox Eagle .60 in pieces. He said that he had taken it apart 20-ish years ago and just left it that way. He said it was lacking in power and planned on replacing the bearings, so they got pitched.

Is there somewhere I can get cheap bearings to fit this engine? I'm hoping to get it up and running as inexpensively as possible.

Thanks heaps,

Ben
Old 03-23-2008, 09:12 PM
kamakazi
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: benjhind

A friend recently gave me an old Fox Eagle .60 in pieces. He said that he had taken it apart 20-ish years ago and just left it that way. He said it was lacking in power and planned on replacing the bearings, so they got pitched.

Is there somewhere I can get cheap bearings to fit this engine? I'm hoping to get it up and running as inexpensively as possible.

Thanks heaps,

Ben
Ben, try Boca Bearings, I've gotten bearings from them 2 different times, they respond very quickly and they have a guide so you can locate the exact bearing you want.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:32 PM
benjhind

Kamakazi,

Thanks very much for the info. I've only been in RC a couple years, and this is my first bearing replacement. I took a chance and went for bearings from Ty-Coon.com for $12 shipped to Canada! (Boca quoted around $22 before shipping)

I've read Boca is very reliable, but I took the cheap road. I'll be sure to post if the bearings are not up to snuff.

Thanks again,

Ben
Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have sent out some feelers and might have one, but still need 2 more mufflers for the old loop scavenged Fox .15s. Anybody? I just love these little guys. I have 2 more on the way besides this one. Powerful little cuss.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95707.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	911911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56353.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	911912  
Old 04-01-2008, 08:11 AM
jeffie8696

Lookie, Triplets. cigars all around!! [sm=lol.gif]
Spoke to Fox the other day. There are no mufflers available for these engines[sm=cry_smile.gif]. they did however mention the trade in program. Not to be picky but I have a perfectly good engine, why would I trade it in on a new one that will only bring the price down to what I can buy any other nice engine for? She responded , yes but will they last 30 years, I was tempted to respond "What difference does it make if you don't stock any parts for it". [X(]
Sorry , I just had to vent a little. I really love my little Fox .15s and I am dying to use them but if I don't have a muffler and I can't get one they are very little use to me. Mine turns an MA 8X4 prop to 15,000 rpms. That is the same advertised performance as their brand new .15. As soon as I get the other 2 cleaned up and running I will see if the performance is the same, then I will probably sell 2 and keep the best one for myself I will find a muffler eventually.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59097.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	919214  
Old 04-01-2008, 12:30 PM
proptop

[8D]
One thing I've learned over the past few years about on-line "shopping" (be it here on RCU, e*ay, or where-ever ) is that if it's not "available" right this minute...it could be tomorrow...or next week, aye!? Keep checking the auction sites and a muffler will eventually turn up.
Wish I had one for ya...
Does it have to be a Fox muffler?
Old 04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
jeffie8696

Oh Yea! I'm keping the faith baby!
Old 04-01-2008, 02:32 PM
benjhind

On the subject of mufflers, does anyone have a muffler that would fit a Fox Eagle .60?

Ben
Old 04-01-2008, 05:24 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

Lookie, Triplets. cigars all around!! [sm=lol.gif]
Spoke to Fox the other day. There are no mufflers available for these engines[sm=cry_smile.gif]. they did however mention the trade in program. Not to be picky but I have a perfectly good engine, why would I trade it in on a new one that will only bring the price down to what I can buy any other nice engine for? She responded , yes but will they last 30 years, I was tempted to respond "What difference does it make if you don't stock any parts for it". [X(]
Sorry , I just had to vent a little. I really love my little Fox .15s and I am dying to use them but if I don't have a muffler and I can't get one they are very little use to me. Mine turns an MA 8X4 prop to 15,000 rpms. That is the same advertised performance as their brand new .15. As soon as I get the other 2 cleaned up and running I will see if the performance is the same, then I will probably sell 2 and keep the best one for myself I will find a muffler eventually.

----------

J-Tec or Tatone used to make (still do) strap on mufflers for .15 sized engines. That is what I'm using on my muffler-less prize Super Tigre G15 engines. At least I can fly them with the strap-on mufflers. Yeah, it looks and sounds terrible, but I get to use them and that's worth the bad looks.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-01-2008, 05:42 PM
jessiej

Jeffie, you will find few manufacturers stocking parts for engines that have been out of production as long as the baffle piston .15. I do expect that one will eventually show up on an auction site. You may also find another muffler that may be converrted to a strap-on.

I have three generations of fox .15; the baffle piston with central plug, the slant plug, and the BB schnurle. They all run well but the BB Schnurle is the more powerfull. If you don't loose any parts, run over lean, or hit a brick wall you shouldn't need any parts for a long, long time.

jess

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.