Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club FOX!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 06:28 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Club FOX!

The carbs cost me $49.95 each,plus some postage charges too. I had ordered some other stuff along with a engine and some other stuff thatI got too. The carb cost is reasonable in my opinion. A Perry carb costs as much or more. OS carbs are priced way way up there in comparison. Now granted the cheap carbs like for ASP engines can be had for low prices, but you run the risk of getting an acceptable to use carb or a bad carb. The Fox carbs do work really well.

Here is a Fox carb to ASP .61 adapter I made a while back. The carb sits up higher, but the engine would be for a side mount installation anyway.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:38 AM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure when you bought your Fox carb, but that isn't what she was going to charge me.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:37 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of years ago I went to the Fox facility in person and paid only $40 for the new carb. So, if you happen to be passing by Fort Smith, AR, drop by and buy your carb. While you're at it, their technician will install, run, and tune the engine with the new carb for you.l[8D]
Old 03-15-2013, 08:01 AM
earlwb

Sorry about that my apologies.  I didn't realize they had raised the prices for the carburetors. They are now listed at $66.95 on their website.
But if you happen to visit their factory they may still be giving discounts there too. Many years ago Fox used to have a small hobby shop of a sorts inside their factory. They used to have factory second engines at a steep discount in their store at the time. When I was last there I went pretty much crazy in the store and bought a bunch of engines and stuff. I think they may have quit selling factory seconds engines by now though.

I keep meaning to go up there and visit again. I just haven't been able too yet.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:56 PM
hsukaria

When I visited there, I checked out their store, but they didn't have much except old kits and some model building materials, no used engines.

I only bought the new carb. Later on I learned from you guys in this forum about the newer head button and ordered it from Fox. That helped cure some issues I was having last year.

Earlwb, that ASP .61 is probably the same size carb as my ASP .91? I have not had any carb troubles yet with the ASP carb, but it looks temping to try the Fox carb on it. Do you get any performance increase, or just mainly ease of tuning and throttle response?
Old 03-16-2013, 05:46 AM
earlwb

Ease of tuning and throttle response was my thing for the ASP engine. The performance improvement was because it is a better carb than what was on the engine at the time. The ASP carb was too rich through the mid range, and the intake venturi bore was too large, resulting in poor fuel draw, such that the engine had to be run rich at the beginning of a flight and it would lean out a lot as the fuel tank emptied out. The Fox carb with a smaller bore improved fuel draw but didn't affect performance. the ASP carb bore was so large that the engine was at full throttle at a little over 3/4 throttle, thus going WOT didn't gain any more speed. Technically any other carb would have likely worked OK too, say a Perry Carb for instance or a OS carb too. In my example engine the stock ASP carb bore was too large and it was too rich through the mid-range. Now I could have maybe studies the ASP carb more, and maybe reworked the needle tapers or made new needles for it or something, maybe even a intake venturi restrictor, but I just didn't feel like it at the time. But you are correct in that maybe the carb was used on their .91's, 1.08 or even the 1.20 engine for that matter.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:38 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

ORIGINAL OP: RaceCity Enough ranting about this foreign stuff... Let's talk about real AMERICAN IRON!! There's nothing like the smell of Hot Mehanite and Castor in the morning.... .15BB, .25BB, .40BB and a slew of bushing .25's .29's and .36s.....all IRON PISTON. DUKE DUKE DUKE!!!!!!!
I guess I could be a Club Fox member. I have an older Fox .25R/C cross scavenged baffle piston engine with MK-X carb. It is still new in the box, haven't used it, but have it targeted for a future kit build, a Tidewater Pronto. Heard a lot of positive comments about the engine. I'm used to breaking in older iron pistons in a steel sleeve. So, you may sign me up.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A .61 carb for $66.95?  You can buy an ASP .61 for $2 more if they ever come in stock.  The whole motor with muffler and carb.  Not trying to push the imports or nothin, just saying. In my country everything is an import except the Quadra.  As for the previous post, I am not crazy about the old Fox crossflow engines.  Had the old .15, and still have the .35 stunt.  The LA OS .25 will beat and match the .35.  I do like my newer (somewhat) Fox .15 BB  though except for the way the muffler is mounted.  I goes pretty good, and better with a new Turbo type head I made up.  Goes pretty good on my Sig Wonder that needed noseweight.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

I have a pair of ASP 52's I got from a fellow in Australia for the cost of shipping. He flew from a coastal beach so there was corrosion to deal with, but the motors were very low time.

I cleaned and rebuilt them and installed a Perry when either went into my PC9 airframe. In the meantime I downloaded a review that pretty much summed up their mechanical advantages for the cost, with the sole proviso a better carb design would make all the difference. Personally, both exhibited leaning in flight to the point they would overheat. Mind you, this was my first airframe that required an inverted 2-stroke installation and several tries to mod the firewall pod to set the tank and spinner height. However, I have to agree they were problematical. Perhaps upright would have affected their performance.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:07 AM
GallopingGhostler

Then it seems the ASP is a decent engine manufacturer, in spite of some of the rants I've heard.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:36 AM
earlwb

Yes the ASP .61 engine may be quite cheap, but if you have to buy a better carburetor for the engine to get it to run right, then it wasn't a good deal after all.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:37 PM
hsukaria

I have run my ASP 91 for a very short time but itt has behaved well so far. Maybe they are using one size carb for 61-108. That would explain the oversizing on the 61. I bought my 91 when it was on sale for $88 with free shipping. I was also constrained to using an OS 91FX or the ASP91 because it is a copy of the OS 91FX on a plane that I bought used. We'll see how it holds up. I like their muffler, it is quiet and not too restrictive. I am concerned that it is an ABC type engine instead of ringed. Maybe it is too big for ABC?
Old 03-16-2013, 01:33 PM
earlwb

There we some ducted fan engines made in .95 and 1.xx displacements using ABC cylinders and pistons. So it shouldn't be a problem. That is a plus with the Chinese engines using ABC in their engines. The engines are generally ok, but the carbs could be iffy. One thing is that the bearings may not last very long, so you want to be aware of it, in case they start to go bad.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:34 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the Sanye (ASP Magnum AP SC etc.) motors are fine now.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Gent, you have lost track of the fact that this is a Fox enthusiast thread, lets please get back to that, Thanks, Dave

Fox .60
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17574.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1862861  
Old 03-16-2013, 05:42 PM
GallopingGhostler

(deleted)
Old 03-16-2013, 06:54 PM
earlwb

Hobbsy, I do like your in cowl muffler that you had that fit on the Fox engine. That is really nice.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Sorry about that my apologies. I didn't realize they had raised the prices for the carburetors. They are now listed at $66.95 on their website.
But if you happen to visit their factory they may still be giving discounts theretoo. Many years ago Fox used to have a small hobby shop of a sorts inside their factory. They used to have factory second engines at a steep discount in their store at the time. When I was last there I went pretty much crazy in the store and bought a bunch of engines and stuff. I think they may have quit selling factory seconds engines by now though.

I keep meaning to go up there and visit again. I just haven't been able too yet.

The web prices are ususlly a lot higher than the price you would get if you called them. Sometimes 40% higher, which seems about right.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:15 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Earl, that is the stock muffler for the .61, .77 and .91 MVVS, its simple, light and has a unique throb instead of the usual two stroke shrill bark. I got a couple of those from Pe'. Pe' or Dar may still have some.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: aspeed

More often than not, but lots of lemons compared to other brands.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:09 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: aspeed

If you feel lucky, you can get yourself one. Otherwise, live with the consequences.[]
Old 03-17-2013, 07:24 PM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot
ORIGINAL: aspeed I think the Sanye (ASP Magnum AP SC etc.) motors are fine now.
Save yourself the trouble, and get a Fox. I'd rather have a Fox in the hen house, than disfunctional hens.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM
GallopingGhostler

(deleted)
Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Got the Eagle IV back today and had a boo at the new style head button. Quite a bit different in that the squish area is retained, but the chamber is deepened with an almost vertical drop to the relatively flat dome top. If requested I can post a pic comparing old to new before I install that spare into the other engine.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: Cougar429

Got the Eagle IV back today and had a boo at the new style head button. Quite a bit different in that the squish area is retained, but the chamber is deepened with an almost vertical drop to the relatively flat dome top. If requested I can post a pic comparing old to new before I install that spare into the other engine.
Cougar, your description matches my observation of the head button I purchased last season. The band around the perimiter of the button was actually wider than the old head button, but the transition from the band to the center was much more steep. All I know is that it helped my engine be easier to adjust and avoid it from stalling in the air.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.