Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club FOX!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 03:01 AM
FSII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers Jeffie, thanks, it'll be an upright installation.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:51 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hsukaria
Ok, so I am going to look real silly answering my own post. But after researching this plane, it looks real good. But I think I might have a little trouble flying it off the grass field at the club. Plus one guy said it was too nose heavy with his 76 while another flew it ok with a 75AX (OS), So, I think I am going to have to look for something else. I do think I would be interested in a pattern-type plane for my 74 that can accomodate the Jett muffler but be a taildragger for the grass field I fly off.
Our flying field is grass too, I have no problem with trike gear planes flying off the grass. granted tail draggers tend to be a bit easier though. What I do is use a Fults nose gear for fixed gear setups. the Fults nose gear has dual struts and doesn't bend back as easily on rougher flying fields. Now if you go with retracts, then go for a nose gear that has a stronger (heavier wire) strut.

Now then the Fox .60 and .74 engines weigh less than the other engines such as a 75 AX etc. Anyway, build up the plane and trial fit the radio gear in it and check the CG. Try putting the receiver battery pack in the tail, as that usually works well for the jets using conventional prop engines.

I would look at the .60 size "U Can DO 3D" plane for pattern plane purposes. The .60 Escapade is another choice. If you want to build it the ".60 Ultrasport" is another one too. If you want it to be more relaxing a Goldberg Tiger .60 converted to tail dragger would work.

Last edited by earlwb; 02-02-2014 at 05:57 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old 02-02-2014, 06:12 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Speaking of plane suggestions... What would ya'll suggest for my big Fox 1.20 twin? I'd like to build a kit or from plans, and my idea is a biplane. For some reason it makes the most sense to me. One consideration is the exhaust - one exhaust port will be on the bottom and one on the top to skate around the cylinder charging problem. I want the engine running at full power. My flying buddy said we can make a custom exhaust header system for it to have both exhausts coming to the bottom of the aircraft and we are going to make some custom head buttons for it. He is going to teach me how to run his lathe after all.

Im thinking vintage or nostalgic type of aircraft here. 1970s-1980s vintage - the same vintage of the engine (mine is the early variety as pictured a few pages back). Thanks for any input you may have.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:42 AM
earlwb

A SIG 4 Star 1.20 would make for a good plane for the Fox 1.20 twin. Especially for someone figuring out how it works and getting used to it.
The Sig Hog Bipe might be another one too. The SIG 1/4 scale Spacewalker is another choice as well. The big Ultimate bipes like the old Goldberg Ultimate bipes would be still another choice. The Texas RC Drastick 1.20 is another nice option as well.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:01 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just as an aside, the Escapade 60 is a nice quality plane, I am powering mine with an OS65LA and it pulls it just fine. Easy to fly too. I plan to power it with a variety of engines starting this spring. Irvine 72, Irvine 61 , K&B 61, Kraft 61, and if I had a Fox to try it would go on there too. I think my buddy Bruce at brucercengines.com has a Fox 60 he picked up recently maybe I can borrow it?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:03 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by earlwb
A SIG 4 Star 1.20 would make for a good plane for the Fox 1.20 twin. Especially for someone figuring out how it works and getting used to it.
The Sig Hog Bipe might be another one too. The SIG 1/4 scale Spacewalker is another choice as well. The big Ultimate bipes like the old Goldberg Ultimate bipes would be still another choice. The Texas RC Drastick 1.20 is another nice option as well.
Yeah, you can't go wrong with a Stik-type plane, especially with an uncowled engine.

Last edited by hsukaria; 02-02-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:21 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by earlwb
Our flying field is grass too, I have no problem with trike gear planes flying off the grass. granted tail draggers tend to be a bit easier though. What I do is use a Fults nose gear for fixed gear setups. the Fults nose gear has dual struts and doesn't bend back as easily on rougher flying fields. Now if you go with retracts, then go for a nose gear that has a stronger (heavier wire) strut.

Now then the Fox .60 and .74 engines weigh less than the other engines such as a 75 AX etc. Anyway, build up the plane and trial fit the radio gear in it and check the CG. Try putting the receiver battery pack in the tail, as that usually works well for the jets using conventional prop engines.

I would look at the .60 size "U Can DO 3D" plane for pattern plane purposes. The .60 Escapade is another choice. If you want to build it the ".60 Ultrasport" is another one too. If you want it to be more relaxing a Goldberg Tiger .60 converted to tail dragger would work.
I've seen some planes at the club with the Fults nosegear. They do work well.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:32 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by FSII
Guy's I am in the throes of building an RCM Sportster, it's supposed to be a .15 - .25 size plane, I have a choice of powerplants that I can install, I have a (of course otherwise I wouldn't be in this thread) a R/C 22500 Baffle Piston Fox, and Enya 25BB TN and a MkIII 25 Irvine.

All are new engines in their boxes, the 22500 Fox was manufactured in 1989, is there a reason why I shouldn't use the Fox ?

Cheers and Thanks

FSII

FSII, I have a Fox 74 ringed and 2 Irvine 40 ABC engines. The Fox is a good engine but needs a good bit of work to break in. The Irvine 40 are tremendous engines, good power, easy to tune, quick break-in, and are not fussy about the fuel used. If it is similar for the smaller 25's, you would have to consider how much time and effort you will want to spend getting that plane fully operational. If you are in a hurry, then go with the Irvine. I don't have any experience with Enyas, but everybody who has used them, loves them. JMO.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:40 AM
jeffie8696

To me the Fox 25 would offer more uniquetude which I enjoy. I am the guy at our field that dares to fly the weird stuff. There is one guy that flies an OS25RC baffle port but he is the only other one that flies anything other than a 40 size and up Schnerule port 2 stroke.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

I think a Bridi stick would do. The old timer is about the same.

http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/bridistick.html
Old 02-02-2014, 10:20 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Earl and HS - I'll do some homework and check out those planes you listed. It will be some time before I get to it but if I can find a kit or plans I can know what to expect. I suspect these planes have got to be just enormous...? (I don't think I know what I'm getting myself into just yet... LoL. )

Originally Posted by jeffie8696
To me the Fox 25 would offer more uniquetude which I enjoy. I am the guy at our field that dares to fly the weird stuff. There is one guy that flies an OS25RC baffle port but he is the only other one that flies anything other than a 40 size and up Schnerule port 2 stroke.
I'm one for the odd stuff too. I can't wait to show up at the field flying a K&B Sportster, Jett, or either of my Foxes. Last time out at the flying field I saw 1 Saito .40 (on my buddies cub), a TT .40 (on my buddies's Skyraider II), and the rest were OS. I've been keeping my eye out for maybe an .11CX Enya or similar to trade out my FP .10 on my Norvel trainer. I'm not opposed to a little Fox either.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

Did you check out the Bridi stick? There are also a few other planes that Fox twin would pull, but most are a little large or small for it.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:05 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Did you check out the Bridi stick? There are also a few other planes that Fox twin would pull, but most are a little large or small for it.
I'll add that to my list to look at.

I don't know that it matters, but the engine will be turning a 13x6 I think. The instructions with the engine say to let it turn up.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Sport_Pilot

13x6 at what RPM? If a lot it could pull the Bridi Stick, the prop would look a bit small is all.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Sport_Pilot

Over at Hobby People there is the 20cc gas Harmon Rocket. I bet it would go even faster with a 20cc glow twin.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 02-02-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:23 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

13x6 at what RPM? If a lot it could pull the Bridi Stick, the prop would look a bit small is all.
The engines max rpm is 14,000. Not sure what it runs on a 13x6 yet, I haven't personally run the engine yet. I've been told a 13x6 is a good prop for it. The instructions explicitly say not to lug the engine down. It is designed to turn. When I get the new head buttons made I will get it on the test stand and break it in a bit. I have to make a custom stand for this one as it cannot use a standard engine mount.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:19 PM
jeffie8696

Pictures
Old 02-02-2014, 07:20 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

The Balsa USA Phaeton 90 Biplane is a nice flying airplane...might be a good candidate? I will have to check though...don't know for sure if they still make that kit? It's been a while since I've been on their site...
Old 02-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Sport_Pilot

They still make it. I would think it slower than a Bridi stick. The Bridi Stick is smaller ane weighs 9 pounds without engine and the Phaeton is larger and 11-12 pounds flying weight. So about the same weight but smaller = faster.

http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/450.htm

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 02-02-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:36 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

For the big Fox engine, I'm not looking for a speedy plane. Or at least I'm not wanting to fly it real fast. That's why I was looking at a biplane. Something a bit draggy. Sometime I'd like to try 3D but this engine is not going to do that well I don't think. I do like the idea of a stick plane but probably for my smaller engines. I might even build a PBF type of plane for my little Fox .40. Something I could fly at the local soccer field or something like that. Just a bunch of thoughts and ideas at this point.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:30 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I received an email from Sharon at Fox. She says they do not have the 15BB RC that I wanted in stock and have temporarily stopped production of all their engines in order to concentrate on more profitable work.

I asked her to send me an email when they resume production. I would like to pick up several engines for possible future builds. The 15, a 45 and maybe a spare 60 or 74.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

The Phaeton is a very slow biplane. I missed the part about being a biplane my self, but if a biplane I would perfer something a bit faster. Perhaps the 1.2 sized World Models Ultimate, would be for me.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:48 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

The Phaeton is a very slow biplane. I missed the part about being a biplane my self, but if a biplane I would perfer something a bit faster. Perhaps the 1.2 sized World Models Ultimate, would be for me.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking at these models in the next few days.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:15 AM
earlwb

Originally Posted by AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
I need help from all you Fox guru's. I have (what I belive) is an older Fox .45. There are no markings on casing and it did not come with a muffler. I purchased a muffer for a Fox 45 but the mounting holes do not line up. The bolt spacing on the motor is 15/16" and the bolt pattern for the muffler is 1 3/16". Fox's website has no drawings or dimensions for their products. Anyone know which muffler I need (OEM or Aftermarket)???

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
The early Foix .40 and .45 engines used a slightly more narrow screw spacing for the mufflers. The early mufflers were small and had a small expansion chamber and were quite restrictive and reduced power some. Your best bet is to make a "bridge adapter" to adapt any other muffler to fit the engine.

The early style mufflers looked like this one on my Fox .45 engine that I converted into a diesel engine. As a diesel the little muffler works really well in comparison to running it as a glow engine. The mufflers may pop up for sale at the big auction site, etc. So then you'll know what it looks like. What Fox did was machine in a recess for the screws to fit with the early engines. Later he spaced the mountiung screw holes out farther so he wouldn't need to cut recesses into the muffler sides.

Now here is a example of a two piece bridge adapter. You use two pieces of 3/8 inch aluminum that are bolted together at the ends. One side has the holes cut to match the engine. The other piece has holes cut to match the muffler used. You don't really need fancy tools. One could use a hacksaw, hand files and a hand drill to make them. Some taps for threading some holes is a plus. A drill press is better too. A milling machine would be nice.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

Where did you get that clear translucent prop? Might want to put some paint on the tips!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.