Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito Multi

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saito Multi

I'm seriously considering building a GT 1/4 scale Fokker Dr1. Saito makes a nice looking multi that would do nicely. Have any of you had any experience with any of the Saito twins? If so what did you think? Thanks ahead of time.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:41 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Saito Multi

Edward:

Twin and multi cylinder engines for our models are heavy in comparison to an equivalent single. But since your 1/4 scale Fokker will need nose weight anyway the Saito FA-300T of FA-300TTDP should work nicely.

These engines can be a bear to set up, but once right either will please you.

I just made a post on the adjustment of the FA-300TTDP [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3306814/anchors_3438672/mpage_19/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3438672]here[/link], a lot of it applies equally to the single carb version. Ignore the part about double fuel feeds and the pressure system.

Bill.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Saito 60T flat twin and 100Ti inline twin.
Both engines have single carb and they both run very fine without
any glow driver, 100Ti is mounted inverted.
I was impressed with their twin cylinder engines.
Although multi-cylinder engines are weaker on power and heavier
on weight than the same displacement single ones, they fit nice to
some specific scale models on sound and appearance.
I don't have any experience of twin carb and bigger twins, but my
buddy uses Saito 270T which has twin carb and runs very very well.

Tsutomu Mabuchi
Old 10-13-2005, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Edward:

Twin and multi cylinder engines for our models are heavy in comparison to an equivalent single. But since your 1/4 scale Fokker will need nose weight anyway the Saito FA-300T of FA-300TTDP should work nicely.

These engines can be a bear to set up, but once right either will please you.

I just made a post on the adjustment of the FA-300TTDP [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3306814/anchors_3438672/mpage_19/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3438672]here[/link], a lot of it applies equally to the single carb version. Ignore the part about double fuel feeds and the pressure system.

Bill.
After checking out his site I figured the same as you. This bird will need a bit of nose weight. I've always wanted a twin and I thought to myself, that'll ad the weight and get me closer to a scale size in the prop.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:26 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: vlizard

I'm seriously considering building a GT 1/4 scale Fokker Dr1. Saito makes a nice looking multi that would do nicely. Have any of you had any experience with any of the Saito twins? If so what did you think? Thanks ahead of time.
There was a guy at one of our fly-ins last year that had the 1/4 BUSA Sopwith Pup, and flew it very nicely with the 1.70 three cyl. radial. Should work fine on Torrance's DR-1. Dang, that'll sound great!. One of my club mates used to have a 1.50 single on his BUSA 1/4 DR-1, and it also flew well. Swapped it out for a G-26, he likes gas better.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Saito 100 Twin - had a terrible time keeping both cylinders lit - tried everything I could think of - finally decided to install onboard glo driver - phoned Horizon - they confirmed that this was the best solution for this problem which seems to be common in multi cyl. setups. I put in an EDL Glowlite - now the engine runs perfectly - idles barely ticking over, starts immediatley. I'll never use a multi cyl engine without onboard glo again.

I also have a Saito 170R - it also performs flawlessly with onboard glo.

Don.