Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Homemade remote glow driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade remote glow driver

I am in the finishing stage of building a 40 size Cap with a Saito 56 for power. The engine is mounted 45ish and I am going to have a problem getting to the glow plug with the cowling installed. My question is have any of you guys ever made your own remote glow driver and how did you do it. What parts ect. I have a cap for the glow plug with wires attached but not sure what would work at the other end. Thanks in advance

Bill
Old 11-03-2005, 01:02 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Homemade remote glow driver

I just covered this. See my post here [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3514287/tm.htm]Glow driver[/link]
Old 11-03-2005, 01:43 PM

A friend of mine has a YOU Can Do that has a receptical over the wing where he just plugs his ni starter into, cranks the engine and unhooks his ni starter. He has a lot of respect for that spinning prop. I guess I was not clear about what I wanted to do. I don't want to add any more weight to this plane than I have to as it is probally going to be a handfull as it is. So that rules out an onboard battery.I hope this clears up what I am trying to do. Actually, just a remote location to plug my ni starter into. Again, thanks in advance.

Bill
Old 11-03-2005, 02:12 PM
My Feedback: (2)

How about this:

http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/sho...=1&cart=365111
Old 11-03-2005, 02:31 PM

Thats what I need, now how do I make one? It looks like they have got it wired into a glow plug but I can't make out how they did it. I am just trying to save myself an 80 mile round trip to the lhs and learn something in the process.

Bill
Old 11-03-2005, 02:32 PM

Wheres William Robison when you need him
Old 11-03-2005, 03:33 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

BB Bill:

My ears were burning, so I decided to find out who was cussing/fussing.

Go to the link in bigphil's post, number two in this thread. The only change from his diagram to my pet circuit is the switch. I leave the charge jack hard wired to the battery, that way I can use an external battery as a booster while cranking, leaving the on board battery for flight only. And it still functions as a charge jack.

An odd thing about almost any resistor, and the plug coil is a resistor, is that the effective resistance goes up as the resistor heats. When the engine is running at a high throttle setting the combustion heat keeps the plug hot, the battery current in this circuit drops to a negligible level. At a low setting, when the plug tends to cool, the on board battery keeps it lit, although still needing a much lower current that that needed for starting the engine.

Result? Two nice results. One, using the external booster for cranking you are at the same time doing a partial charge to the on board battery, it will last several sessions before needing a recharge, and two, you don't need $7.50 OS "F" plugs. Almost any decent plug works fine in your four stroke using this system.

Bill.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:02 PM

The link that exeter posted has exactly what I am talking about but now I can't find it. There are no switchs or on board batteries. It seems to be simply a jumper from the glow plug on the engine to one where you plug your ni starter into. More or less like automotive jumper cables. I will go back to exeters post and see if I can locate it . Thanks for the replys.

Bill
Old 11-03-2005, 04:10 PM

BB:

Not Exteter's post, bigphil's post with the link pointing [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3514287/tm.htm]here[/link], go to post number ten.

Simple and cheap, the only "Special" part you need is the plug connector which you already have.

Bill.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:13 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I don't think he wants a battery on the plane.... just a jack on the outside...
Old 11-03-2005, 04:13 PM

BB:

Here's bigphil's circuit with my change - add the jumper shown in red.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84951.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	348228  
Old 11-03-2005, 04:37 PM

The site exeter posted has what I am trying to make and is called the Max Flying Glow Plug Remote Adapter. I thought I was going crazy because when I first went there I found it right off the bat and when I went back it was nowhere to be found. Going back the third time was the charm This thing just appears to be a wire with a connector to go on the glow plug and a connector on the other end where you hook up your ni starter. It's not that i would have a problem spending $11 to buy one from Radical RC, it's just I would like to build my own if it can be done.

Bill
Old 11-03-2005, 04:56 PM

BB:

You, in your first post, said remote glow driver. To me that means an on board battery, what you want I just call a remote glow adapter.

Sorry I misunderstood.

Bill.

PS: Think about the cheaper glow plugs. wr.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:07 PM

That was my bad and am sorry for the confusion. I guess I should start a new thread and title it can someone pleeeaaaasssse give me a heads up on how to build a remote glow adapter? Even though 13 posts into this thread I am no closer than when I started in finding out how to build an adapter I would like to thank all of you for the replies.

Thanks much,
Bill
Old 11-03-2005, 05:18 PM

BB:

The only part that can be difficult to make is the plug connector, you say you already have one with the wire on it.

Go to Radio Shack and get a two conductor matching jack and plug, I'd suggest the "RCA" type, like most of your audio cables have.

Mount the jack in a convenient location on the plane, preferably on the left away from the engine's exhaust. Connect the plug connector to one terminal of the jack, and a ground wire from the engine block to the other. Then wire the + and - terminals of your glow battery to the plug.

All you need.

Bill.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:47 PM

Thanks,Bill. I got ya.

Bill
Old 11-04-2005, 10:30 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Brain,
The link I posted for the Sullivan clip actually includes an adapter for the opposite end to attach your standard glow battery. So you hook the clip on your plug, string the wire back to a convenient place and attach an end that is similar in shape to a normal plug. Then you just hook your battery on there instead of directly to the plug. This is it... [link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/507891.asp]Sullivan adapter[/link]

More description of it here [link=http://www.rconline.com.tw/products-sullivan2.htm]More info[/link]
Old 11-04-2005, 12:30 PM

Thanks much bigphil. As it turns out, the connecter I have for the glow plug will not stay on so I guess I will just order the whole thing. I really would have liked to make my own but maybe someday I will

Bill