Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Did I blow my Engine???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I blow my Engine???

Hey everyone, I have a problem. I just bought a nitro powered gas buggy. This is my first nitro fuel car so I didn't really know what I was doing upon starting it. What had happened was after awhile of not being able to get my buggy started I turned off my transmitter read some stuff in my book then tried it again. After turning up the high speed needle on my carb it finally started, but due to the fact i didnt have my transmitter on it started going crazy in my hand because of no signal. It seemed as if it was on full throttle and this was the first time its ever been started. After about 30 secs or so it finally died and burnt out my glow plug because i guess it got so hot. Anyone think my engine is blown? I haven't tried to start it again yet because I need a new glow plug.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:59 PM

Default RE: Did I blow my Engine???

any help??
Old 11-04-2005, 10:17 PM

this isn't a chatroom!!

anyway, always, always, always have your tx on before anything else!

you have a nitro buggy, not gas...

were you holding the car up in the air when this happened? if so, your engine probably is dead, conrod &/or piston probably turned to shrapnel. (if it was actually at full throttle that is...)

Old 11-04-2005, 11:27 PM
My Feedback: (2)

If it broke that easily, there was something wrong in the first place. Replace the plug, relax and think about what your doing, start over its probably ok. Ive had propellors come off my control line engines, full throttle, no damage. Asking for help is ok.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:33 AM
My Feedback: (4)

proracin,
Read your directions first, make sure youunderstand them and then proceed to start and run your car. Always turn the transmitter on first. Just change the glow plug, set the needle valve to where the dirctins recommend and try again. If you absolutely cannot get it started, get some help from the hobby shop you bought it from or from someone else involved in the hobby.
And, yes, this is the place to come to and ask for help.
Regards,
doubledee
Old 11-05-2005, 09:47 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mentorman

If it broke that easily, there was something wrong in the first place. Replace the plug, relax and think about what your doing, start over its probably ok. Ive had propellors come off my control line engines, full throttle, no damage. Asking for help is ok.

I have never seen a single model airplane engine survive a high speed run with no prop that remained undamaged. Been at this for fifty or so years too. I'm not saying that it can't happen, but I would love to learn the circumstances if it did.

On the other hand, a glow engine equipped vehicle (NOT NITRO), with belt in place and driving a transmission that is spinning a wheel(s), has a much better chance of surviving undamaged than a propless airplane engine at full throttle.

If this forum isn't here to ask/answer questions, why does it exist?
Old 11-05-2005, 10:11 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only logical thing I see here is to find somebody in Tucson to help you out.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

I have never seen a single model airplane engine survive a high speed run with no prop that remained undamaged. Been at this for fifty or so years too. I'm not saying that it can't happen, but I would love to learn the circumstances if it did.

I've seen a Nelson Q500 racing engine throw its prop on a test stand... Don't know how high it revved before it was shut down, but it was absolutely screaming for a second or two at least. There was no apparent damage, but the owner decided (wisely) to replace the conrod and crank before using it again...
Old 11-05-2005, 10:43 AM

I had an OS 1.08 throw a prop in flight. I got it shut down in a couple of seconds, but it reved pretty high. The engine has run fine ever since.

Good luck!

jess
Old 11-05-2005, 06:15 PM
My Feedback: (3)

I broke a rod on a Jett 90 when I threw a prop. It was out their a ways and thought the engine died when it was probably going pas a kazillion rpms. Replaced it, cleaned it up and countless flights since last year
Old 11-05-2005, 06:24 PM

I have thrown a prop on a Tower 40 on the bench and a K&B 4011 on an airplane. No damage in either case. Of course I was running 20% oil, half castor. An engine guru once told me that an engine would actually rev higher under a light load than under no load at all. I don't know if this is true. I've blown rods, cranks, and bearings with the prop firmly attached.[]
Old 11-05-2005, 06:51 PM

I've seen pylon racers put a 1/2 in diameter prop on there engines (OS .46 etc) and run them wide open... Man do they scream.. All in an effort to get the "parts working together" and get a few more rpm out of them. The engines seem to like it..
Old 11-05-2005, 09:45 PM

I'll bet your engine is about broken-in now!
You should be fine.

Never ever be afraid to ask for help here, just wish somebody on the boards here could help you out in person.
GeeBeeJim, are you around????
Old 11-05-2005, 10:11 PM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just put a new glow plug in it and start it again.

Turn on the TX this time.

It will either work--and run--or it won't.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:41 PM
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

I have thrown a prop on a Tower 40 on the bench and a K&B 4011 on an airplane. No damage in either case. Of course I was running 20% oil, half castor. An engine guru once told me that an engine would actually rev higher under a light load than under no load at all. I don't know if this is true. I've blown rods, cranks, and bearings with the prop firmly attached.[]

I'm not claiming to know everything, guys. I'll take your word for it and add it to the database. <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 11-06-2005, 06:03 AM

Ed C.

You can add the HB .40PDP to that database.

In 1980, it threw the prop and screamed for about a second, before shutting down.
The rear bearing was the only part that required replacement.

It shed its (phenolic) retainer.

No other damage.
Even the con-rod (a casting in this engine) survived.

Total repair cost; $3.50.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:58 PM

OK, add a Series 72 K&B40 to the list too
The first time I ever tried to fly CL speed it clipped the ground as it came out of the take-off dolly and shattered the 7x10 wood prop and just laid there screaming its head off for maybe 5 seconds or so before someone got to it and held it nose down to shut off the fuel. It loosened the screws holding on the crankshaft housing and cracked the disc valve but other than that it was fine.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:35 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I think the key is whther you get it shut down. I just destroyed a new Magnum .52 on the test bench. It kicked and shattered the prop and took off at who knows what speed. With the prpop exploding in my face, it destroyed itself before I could figure out what had happened. iT probably ran 5 -6 seconds.

Magnum replaced it immediately. Pretty decent customer service.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:19 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Just because you've never seen some thing doesnt mean it doesnt exhist, does it?? Its an OS FP .15 that is still mounted on the ringmaster I built as a teenager. The Prop flew off mid flight, landed the plane engine screaming. Shut it off, revovered the prop and the hardware that was still inside the nose cone and flew some more. Havent noticed anything different and its on a tuned pipe. It really doesnt matter to anybody but me, it was something positive to give a guy after he received such negativity from a fellow member...