Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
 Perry regulator and muffler pressure??? >

Perry regulator and muffler pressure???

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Perry regulator and muffler pressure???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 10:59 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perry regulator and muffler pressure???

Hi,
I wonder what would happen if I use the muffler or pipe pressure thogeter with my perry regulator? on my twostrokes.
Would it hurt the perry regulator?

I would like to try this to see if the muffler pressure will raise the fuel temperature for winterflying. It gets pretty cold here soon
Old 11-29-2005, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Perry regulator and muffler pressure???

It would work, but the extra strain on the pump will shorten it's life. I missed the part in the instructions about not using the muffler pressure the first time I used it and the pump only lasted a little over a year or so. Just add some tubing to the muffler pressure vent and route it below the tank, so that when inverted it will be above the tank, that way fuel will not spill out.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:53 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

PERRY DOESN'T MAKE A REGULATOR. I know that Tower uses the word regulator in their description but its wrong.

Perry just makes pumps that have an ADJUSTMENT SCREW that limits the overal pressure the pump puts out.

There are Perry pumps that run from pressure impulses from the crankcase and ones that work with vibration.

There shouldn't be any need to run muffler pressure to the tank when using a Perry pump.

If you want a regulator, you will need a Cline or Iron Bay.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 11-29-2005, 02:22 PM

I know that Tower uses the word regulator in their description but its wrong.
Tower did not make that up, it comes from Conley who markets the Perry pump. In fact they have always described it as such. I have seen the inside of these pumps their is a spring and diaphragm open to atmosphere on one side, crankcase pressure and another diaphram on the other side, fuel is pumped between the two diaphragm's.

Perry just makes pumps that have an ADJUSTMENT SCREW that limits the overal pressure the pump
puts out.

Seems if it was limiting pressure their would be a return valve and line to relieve the pressure, though I suppose it could be internal. IMO it is a regulating valve because it keeps a constant pressure and is adjustable by turning the pressure screw. In practical application, I don't think the terminology matters.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:10 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

I know that Tower uses the word regulator in their description but its wrong.
Tower did not make that up, it comes from Conley who markets the Perry pump. In fact they have always described it as such. I have seen the inside of these pumps their is a spring and diaphragm open to atmosphere on one side, crankcase pressure and another diaphram on the other side, fuel is pumped between the two diaphragm's.

Perry just makes pumps that have an ADJUSTMENT SCREW that limits the overal pressure the pump
puts out.

Seems if it was limiting pressure their would be a return valve and line to relieve the pressure, though I suppose it could be internal. IMO it is a regulating valve because it keeps a constant pressure and is adjustable by turning the pressure screw. In practical application, I don't think the terminology matters.
-------------

IIRC, the old Perry ads used to describe them as Pump/Regulators, implying that both functions were available. Utilizing exhaust pressure to the fuel tank was said to disable the regulator function.

Never hook up the Perry/Varsane/Whatever pump to the exhaust pressure line. It is designed to be utilized with crankcase pressure pulses. Without the pulsing, the diaphragm will just move to one position and stay there, without pumping anything.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:23 PM

Ed,
I think flyer was talking about using muffler pressure on the tank. If you do that then if the tank pressure is higer than the pump then the engine would see the tank pressure minus any loss through the pump valves, if the tank is at a lower pressure the engine would see the pump pressure, so yes that would disable the regulation feature. But, also if the tank pressure is at times very high, then that would be additional pressure and strain on the diaphragm's and valves.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:46 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. So you think the muffler pressure to the tank would shorten the life of the Perry pump?[]

I am talking about the VP-30 from the Perry which is connected with a tubing to the crankcase pressure fitting. The only reason I want too connect the pipe pressure to the fuel tank is to heaten up the fuel slightly form the "exhaust heat" and keep it that way throught the entire flying session .

Weather gets very cold here during the winter and I would like too keep the fuel in the fuel tank "thin" and warmer than outside temperature for the best carburation results.

Or is there another way too keep the fuel in the fueltank warm and thin?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:52 PM

The only reason I want too connect the pipe pressure to the fuel tank is to heaten up the fuel slightly form the "exhaust heat" and keep it that way throught the entire flying session .
The pressure line will only allow enough exhaust to flow into the tank to replace the fuel being burned. This is not enough to warm the tank. Think about it, the tank is not warm after landing, or if it is you have a leak near the top of the tank. I don't know why you want to heat up the fuel, it should have more power if you cool the fuel (denser charge), not heat it up. You preheat fuel and air to improve efficiency, at the expense of performance.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:18 PM

Ok, thanks,
This is the first winter I am using a Perry regulator on my twostrokes and I hope the pump will work good in the cold weather?.
Maybe I most increase the pump pressure?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:54 AM

No, just adjust it per the instructions and forget it. If anything you will be adjusting the carb a bit less as the fuel will be at a constant pressure. I never had to mess with the pump settings from summer to winter, only the carb needles, and much less often than with muffler pressure.