Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Who CURRENTLY makes the best 90 - 180 2 stroke

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Who CURRENTLY makes the best 90 - 180 2 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 11:30 PM
brettwegner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who CURRENTLY makes the best 90 - 180 2 stroke

G'day, Rather than me complain about the performance of a certain manufactures engines, I wanted to get everyone else's opinions of the CURRENT range of 90 - 180 2 strokes. by current i mean currently widely available at the moment. With all of the bigger ARF's about these days I was wanting peoples opinions on reliability mainly. There seem to be many manufacturers claiming great power but what i have been experiencing is great power to start which sags off greatly followed by dead sticks. The reliabilty is just not there anymore.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:59 PM
3dbob37n

Default RE: Who CURRENTLY makes the best 90 - 180 2 stroke

Those dead sticks are a clue I can't miss. Always peak the engine on the ground and then richen it up about 200 to 300 RPM. The engine will re-gain the lost RPM when in the air and the engine is unloaded.
If the engine sags whilst on a vertical line, it is too lean. I've seen this happen with all 2 strokers, including the big ones, time after time. Just trying to lean it to peak on the ground and then of course it goes even leaner in the air.
You may be ruining your good engines. A lean run can ruin a large engine in a hurry.

3dbob
Old 12-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Harry Lagman

In addition to lessons on tuning that you don't need, you are going to get all sorts of recommendations for orphaned, finicky, oddball, left of centre, quirky, cheap engines with the cover note that "I've never had a deadstick with mine".

The best way to answer your question is to go to an IMAC or Pattern event and see what the competitive guys use. Very few guys in our part of the world are sponsored directly by engine manufacturers or distributors so you should see a pretty good representation of what delivers the goods reliably when you really need it to.

Let us know what you find.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:55 AM
brettwegner

Just to clarilfy the reliabilty problems with the "Engine's" as in not just mine. the motors that are causing problems have been tuned by numerous different people they are running stock muffler, running recomendend fuel and props, different props and fuel tried also. These motors are just not reliable and even if we were to get it a bit wrong e.g. tuning/ tank height prop, in my 17 years of modeling i have never had such problems. sorry Yes i am a bit bitter over this over $900AU invested in 3 motors . 1 90 still in the box
Old 12-07-2005, 06:41 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

What brand, what prop, what fuel, what glow plug, todays engines, even brands I don't use are reliable, long lasting and easy to tune, when an engine goes lean and quits, simply put, it was set too lean.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:21 AM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

I think this is when fuel delivery comes to play. Big 2-stroke glows that use Pitts style muffler and its back pressure to prompt fuel draw are usually susceptible to this symptom. So unless you use a stock muffler, a pump, or be creative with the Pitts muffler pressure delivery, sagging can occur as it goes vertical. Sometimes even richening up at the ground will still result in inadequate fuel draw during vertical. Now, this can be detected at the ground by running the engine full throttle while holding the plane vertical. But I guess this procedure is not practiced as often because these big planes are harder to hold vertical while running full throttle.

Let's just talk about all the players there are; there aren't that many: OS 160 FX, Moki 180, ST G2300 are among the mostly purchased ones. I have owned all three, and they all get inadequate fuel draw when using scale muffler w/o pump. TT 120 and the new OS 120 AX would be great because the stock muffler can be used as Pitts style muffler, so they should not suffer from inadequate back pressure. So you might look into these 2 engines if they are the right size for your application.

Personally I end up going with large YS 4-strokes because I never have to worry about inadequate fuel delivery. But that's a different price range.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:38 AM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

Super Tigre makes engines in the range you have asked about. I personally feel they are very good engines and if, as with any engine, if properly broken in and tuned will last a very long time. The Chinese versions are every bit as good as the Italian ones and I personally feel they are a bit stronger.
I agree that dead stick landings are usually the result of improper tuning. Once an engine is tuned correctly it shouldn't have to be retuned unless there is a drastic change in the atmospheric conditions.
IMHO, Super Tigre, Super Tigre, Super Tigre.

Regards,
doubledee
Old 12-07-2005, 03:37 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: doubledee

Super Tigre makes engines in the range you have asked about. I personally feel they are very good engines and if, as with any engine, if properly broken in and tuned will last a very long time. The Chinese versions are every bit as good as the Italian ones and I personally feel they are a bit stronger.
I agree that dead stick landings are usually the result of improper tuning. Once an engine is tuned correctly it shouldn't have to be retuned unless there is a drastic change in the atmospheric conditions.
IMHO, Super Tigre, Super Tigre, Super Tigre.

Regards,
doubledee

------------------------

After having several OS 1.60 FX engines, which were superb, my last large glow two-stroke purchase was the G2300. I had one before that was great. Why the switch? I saved $100 plus versus buying another OS. I'm not a 3D flyer (with glow), so the extra horsepower won't be missed.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:34 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

A OS 1.60 is a good high power not inexpensive engine. It is suitable for many aplications and I would recomend it given the right conditions. How much money do you save if your engine dead sticks off the runway in the boonies?
Sparky
Old 12-08-2005, 08:20 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
There isn't a bad engine out there...only inexperienced users.

I have run the MVVS 25cc ABC engine now for 4 years without any problems in a SIG CAP 231 EX. Same Enya 3 glowplug is still in use and the prop is still the Menz 18x6 I started with. I use 15% all synthetic oil (Motul "Micro") and 5% nitro.
The more modern MVVS 26cc engine is also good.
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36685.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	366846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20826.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	366847