Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Does anyone else love Enya engines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:59 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Does anyone else love Enya engines?

ORIGINAL: Riddle4U

Thank you for the advice Ed! I must querry whether it pertains to the SS40BB/RC though? I absolutely destroyed my four-star 40 with my first ownership of this model Enya (previous was a .29 I have had for 30 years). The crash was so bad that the crank landed 60 feet away in a different lot from the splat straight down on pavement (thank the lord I didn't hit anyone..and another guy was actually flying when the severe interference was incurred). I guess I say ''I'' in the last just because it was my model. The liner was semi-intact (and looked to be steel). The piston and crank were seperate from the main splat (I say that because the tank layed an 8 foot circle of liquid residual). I remember sensing the piston was aluminum..but not sure (the parts are collected in a box somewhere). You mentioned a CX model. I just don't know if it is similar or not. This motor sure don't look like an ABC when dissasembled, or aluminum liner (at least the way I ''dissembled'' it).

I guess I should say I am quite used to running my second Enya of the same model (and tuning an identical one for my brother's trainer). I am finding that it still is getting more rpm's each tank (long after break-in and innumerous flights). BTW don't try looking at an Enya's internals by my early method (straight down, full throttle, into pavement). The little William's Bro's pilot had an engine mounting bolt through his chin. Had to hurt.

No, my advice applies only to the AAC equipped engines that were sold by Enya some time back. These days, the CX engines are made with ABC piston/liner combinations, which means that you treat them as ABC engines and not AAC engines. To the best of my recollection, the SS series of engines did not use AAC or ABC technology. I do have a ringed SS .50 that looks very nice. I haven't ran it as yet.

Ed Cregger
Old 08-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Riddle4U

Thanks Ed, I just wanted to confirm that your earlier reply probably doesn't apply to my SS (as Mr. cox confirms). I think it is certainly a steel liner, and I don't think it is chromed. I don't even remember looking at the wreckage of the engine and knowing whether it was ringed or not? I can just say it runs more powerfully than my O.S. ringed .46 (my latest SS 40 BB Enya, that is)! Noticeable when new..is the lack of compression on the O.S. but I don't really know if that is normal (my Enyas had incredible compression by hand). I have yet to run my O.S. .46 FX. Does anyone have advice on that one (I always just run 'em real rich per instructions for 10 minutes..then vary throttle when you get past one tank of proper fuel). I am pretty sure the O.S. is ringed. I like to just fly 'em soon after they idle ok...and get the air cooling from a real flight with an easy-going prop.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:10 AM
lavagrit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 4 ENYA engine, 50SS ring 45X 35X 30 BB
they are very good engine。
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24311.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1267991  
Old 09-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Ed, this is just such an engine, a .50CXTN. I tried to match up a Diesel head for it but no go.

Name:	Ge95282.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1267992  
Old 09-03-2009, 03:25 PM
NM2K

Hi, Dave.

Yep, I have one too. They are ABC and do not qualify for my "run'em lean" advice at all.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-03-2009, 06:38 PM
colingw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NM2K

No, my advice applies only to the AAC equipped engines that were sold by Enya some time back. These days, the CX engines are made with ABC piston/liner combinations, which means that you treat them as ABC engines and not AAC engines. To the best of my recollection, the SS series of engines did not use AAC or ABC technology. I do have a ringed SS .50 that looks very nice. I haven't ran it as yet.

Ed Cregger
The SS series engines are a mixed bag of metallurgy, so you need to know which one you have, and some were available in more than one configuration.

To the best of my knowledge :-

SS15 - ABC
SS25 - iron/steel and AAC versions (I'm assuming the SS25 Al-Chro is AAC)
SS30 - iron/steel
SS35 - not sure - aluminium, ringed?
SS40 - iron/steel
SS45 - not sure - aluminium ringed?
SS50 - ditto

Looking at the current Enya catalogues, they seem to have a mix of iron/steel, AAC, ABC, ABN and ringed engines at present. My older ringed enyas (eg. model 6001 45BB) have aluminium piston, not sure about current.

Col
Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 PM
NM2K

I just acquired a used SS .25. I "think" it is an X or Al-Cr, but it will take a good bath and some research to determine its true nature. Nice compression, for sure.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-04-2009, 01:19 AM
lavagrit

45X       AAC
45CX     AAC
SS 45 Ring  is aluminium piston 。steel  liner
Old 09-04-2009, 03:04 AM
NM2K

Thanks.

I knew about the early CX series (until the 50, 61CX and now the 11CX) being AAC, but I was wondering about the X series.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-05-2009, 08:09 AM
lavagrit

you are welcome,
this photo is my enya 45X,is a AAC engine,is very good power.
it is very like enya 45CX. except cylinder structure.

Name:	Pn35696.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1268903  
Old 09-08-2009, 07:47 PM
74SEVEN7

When it comes to discussing the metalurgy that Enya has used over the years, we are faced with a bewildering variety of piston and liner combinations. Here are some (more contributions are welcome) -
60XF - 1 Al-Chrome
60XF - 2 Ringed alloy piston
60XF - 3 ?
60XF - 4 Al-Chrome
80XF single conventional ring / alloy piston / steel liner
40X Dykes ring / alloy piston / steel liner
45X Al-Chrome
19X ?
21X Al-Chrome
35X Heli ABC or ringed piston
35X Aero ABC
CX 11 early ones Al-Chrome, later ABC
CX 50 ABC
SS 45 ringed alloy piston
SS 50 ringed alloy piston
SS 25 both (bushed or BB) lapped cast iron piston / steel liner Optional Al-Chrome on BB
SS 15 both (bushed or BB) ABC (some anyway)
SS 30 basic plain bearing - lapped cast iron piston / steel liner
SS 30 twin BB shaft - ringed alloy piston Optional lapped cast iron piston / steel liner
It would appear that the Al-Chrome process (ie. chrome plated alloy cylinder / alloy piston) was a more expensive operation than the ABC (chrome plated brass liner / alloy piston) and first appeared on Enya's flagship engine, the 60XF. Although the Al-Chrome would seem to be inherently no better performance wise than ABC, its big advantage was weight saving. This is why the early CX11's were much lighter than the later ABC's. BOB
Old 09-08-2009, 10:13 PM
downunder

Bob
The 60XF-3 is AAC (yes, I have one) and by all reports they come fitted with virtually no pinch unlike ABC. One advantage over ABC I've heard of is that the alloy liner doesn't eventually "bell-mouth" and lose pinch. Oh yeah, and the 19X which I also happen to have is iron piston in a steel sleeve.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:18 AM
74SEVEN7

Thanks Brian ! Does anyone know for sure what combo the 49X and 25X used ? I suspect ABC, but will wait for positive confirmation on that. Further to the alloy cylinder versus brass debate, I have Enya sheets which list the weight of both Al-Chrome and ABC CX11's
side by side. With R/C throttles, the ABC version weighs in at 6.7 oz. , while the Al-Chrome model is 4.6 oz. In standard C/L guise, the weights are 6 oz. and 4.2 respectively. Peter Chinn's August 1980 MAN test of the 45X makes interesting reading (quote) "An aluminum sleeve does not appear to have any significant mechanical advantage over a brass one, but as aluminum is only about a third of the weight of brass (or, for that matter, of iron or steel, the other commonly used cylinder materials), it not only makes for a lighter engine but enables a thicker liner to be used, so that angled ports - as in a Schnuerle scavenged engine - are more effective in directing gas flow. The 45X for example, is 6 percent lighter in weight than the 40X, despite its larger displacement and in spite of having a 23 percent thicker cylinder wall." As well, in Chinn's April 1977 test of the (first) 60XF, he noted that the new Al-Chrome 60 ran considerably cooler than the previous Enya 60's with steel liners and ringed pistons. It seems as if the Enya team were constantly experimenting with metalurgy, and released some strange engines - I myself bought a NIB Enya 35X ABC in standard C/L configuration
off eBay a few years ago. It has a factory fitted brass insert within the outer machined alloy insert. Very interesting ! BOB
Old 09-25-2009, 02:14 AM
Riddle4U

Nice stuff guys! Did I miss something? I didn't see my ss40bb-rc mentioned (yes..35 and 45's). It is apparent that Enya was all over the board on models...boo yah! Wish they were easily available now. The real reason of course is the contracts with big U.S. sellers like Tower. When they sign an exclusive agreement (my guess, only), it hurts our ability to have natural variety here (voice your opinions to Tower, and others). Our hobby choices are actually shrinking, and it has had nothing to do with the recent international economic downturn (don't start me). Our hobby has been getting hurt in diversity for ten years or more. The sellers just pick a couple profit winners that are high quality, like O.S. and such, but there are actually other choices which are higher quality that we are not offered by these sellers. I have used Tower Hobbies for years, but their selection gets smaller and smaller. I am not such a big fan of theirs anymore (not against using them for their limited offerings either). I don't mean to trash Tower, but they just seem to offer less diversity each year. Enya would be around today if something else wasn't limiting their U.S. market. Tower used to have a lot more brands. Look at the italian brands...Rossi, and others. Fricking great engines! What do we do as hobbyists to keep our previous wealth of diversity of product in the U.S.A.? We like to think we can get anything in America; it is certainly not even close anymore! Let us tell our suppliers know that we want a variery of quality choices! Competition keeps makers honest.

Sincerely, Eric
Old 02-05-2010, 06:07 PM
rich52mag

Hi downunder

I see you know a lot about my favorite brand of engines,Enya. I was lucky enough to get a .45 11 (6002) that has never seen fuel.
I was wondering what you think is the best way to break this in? I removed the original oil that had turned to thick muck and oiled it up with after run oil. Any thoughts
Thanks Rich
Old 02-05-2010, 09:24 PM
downunder

Hi Rich
Nice engine, I got one of them when they first came out.
I'm probably over-fussy when it comes to running in engines, especially ringed or iron piston types, so I use a fuel with 25% all castor and start off running it as rich as possible for 10 minutes or so then gradually leaning it out (but still 4 stroking) over the next 30 minutes or so. After that I'll let it run just into a 2 stroke for a few seconds at a time by leaning then richening the mixture and gradually extending the 2 stroking to begin building up heat in the piston and ring. Personally I don't fly them until after about 90 minutes of running in case of a lean run and Enya say they'll take 2-3 hours to run in fully.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:00 AM
rich52mag

Thanks for the advice sounds great to me.I will follow it to a T. I had one of these engines used back in the late 70s,great idle, power and so smooth running.
I have a fuel guy that will mix any blend I need.I'll have him mix me some 5% nitro with 25% all caster.Would you use 5% nitro?Do you continue with all caster after run in? Thanks again so much for the advice,
Rich
Old 02-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

My first expierence ...

10 years back a new flyer came to the club with a used 3 channel Kadet and Enya .40 ss

for an old Baffle port motor it surprized me with the power it made on 15% nitro!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:04 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ss series are not baffle ported, but the older 40 bbtv was, and had very good power.

Jim
Old 02-07-2010, 01:26 AM
downunder

ORIGINAL: rich52mag
I have a fuel guy that will mix any blend I need.I'll have him mix me some 5% nitro with 25% all caster.Would you use 5% nitro?Do you continue with all caster after run in? Thanks again so much for the advice,
The instructions from Enya for my new 60-IIIB (in other words, virtually identical to your 45) recommend 20-24% all castor but show fuel blends for flying right in the middle of that at 22% all castor. I don't use nitro at all in any engine but I'm sure 5% would be fine, likewise I only use castor but a bit of synthetic in the mix wouldn't hurt and could even help clean out any carbon build-up (or so others say, I've never tried it ).
Old 02-07-2010, 09:09 AM
rich52mag

Thanks for all your help.
Happy flying, Rich
Old 02-07-2010, 11:37 AM
kestrel0222
My Feedback: (1)

Hi everyone,

I just came across this thread and I would like to know if anyone knows if the dimension from the crankshaft centerline to the top of the valve cover is the same for the 46-4C and the 53-4C? I am also looking for one of these engines, if anyone knows where I could find a GOOD one, could you please let me know?

Thanks you,
Old 02-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Luna_Rendezvous

ORIGINAL: kestrel0222

Hi everyone,

I just came across this thread and I would like to know if anyone knows if the dimension from the crankshaft centerline to the top of the valve cover is the same for the 46-4C and the 53-4C? I am also looking for one of these engines, if anyone knows where I could find a GOOD one, could you please let me know?

Thanks you,

I have the 46-4C and from centre of crank to top of valve cover is 82mm (approximate) and I'm pretty sure the 53 is the same because they use the head from the 46, and also the stroke is the same.

Mike.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:37 PM
kestrel0222
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Mike!!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:20 PM
musterpilot

Here is my latest Enya a .049

Name:	Ec87421.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1375421   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45615.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1375422  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.