Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Does anyone else love Enya engines?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Does anyone else love Enya engines?

Well, Enya enthusiasts, I had an Enya moment yesterday. I mounted my Enya .90 fourstroke on my Alpha 60 to replace the Saito 1.00 I had on there last year. I sold the 1.00 a few weeks ago. Much to my surprise the Alpha was way nose heavy. Today I spent some time grinding the upper inside corner of the left engine mount to move that engine back 1/2" and still had to place 2 OZ of lead in the very tail end of the fuse and place the battery at the back of the radio compartment. It still noses down pretty good when I have my bird fingers under the CG marks under the wing. I may have to add another .5OZ of lead.

I didn't expect that much difference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13043.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1443029  
Old 05-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I always liked the Panhead better than the Knuckle.......
Old 05-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Hobbsy

That one is a box head with a bathtub combustion chamber. I received a private offer to trade the Enya .90 for a brand new Saito .80. I just might do er.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:23 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: downunder
Actually what I'd like to know is what's an Enya .49? I've never heard of one.....
OK, my mistake. I just had a read through my history of early Enya engines and found a mention of the 49X in an Enya instruction sheet from the early 80's which is as far as my history goes because it basically just covers all the pre-Schneurle engines except where there's an overlap. There's also a note saying "The 49X was listed at a later date as being available in dedicated C/L form, and was used with some success by the US stunt flyer Bill Simons, as well as the Japanese champion Akihiko Yamada."
Old 05-26-2010, 11:12 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Well, Enya enthusiasts, I had an Enya moment yesterday. I mounted my Enya .90 fourstroke on my Alpha 60 to replace the Saito 1.00 I had on there last year. I sold the 1.00 a few weeks ago. Much to my surprise the Alpha was way nose heavy. Today I spent some time grinding the upper inside corner of the left engine mount to move that engine back 1/2'' and still had to place 2 OZ of lead in the very tail end of the fuse and place the battery at the back of the radio compartment. It still noses down pretty good when I have my bird fingers under the CG marks under the wing. I may have to add another .5OZ of lead.

I didn't expect that much difference.
The .90 is built like a tank, it would survive a crash from outer space. It is just the right weight for a kit built sig 4star 60 though You don't have the wrong engine there, just the wrong plane.............
Old 05-27-2010, 01:07 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fiery

Just picked up a 2nd hand ENYA 11CX Diesel. What a delight. Looks like it has only been test run. Really good compression.

I tip my hat to ENYA for keeping diesel variants of some of their smaller engines available.

You lucky dog! The Enya .11CX Diesel is one of the engines that I have wanted for a long time. I might just have to get around to buying one soon. I already have the glow version. I wonder if buying factory parts for the different Diesel parts is worth it?

Ed Cregger
Old 05-27-2010, 01:14 AM
NM2K

IIRC, the .90 and the earliest 1.20 share a crankcase casting, which accounts for the high weight and extreme durability.

Hobbsy, I can't say that I would blame you for trading that .90 four-stroke for an Saito .80. The Saito .80 offers much better power-to-weight stats.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-29-2010, 03:50 PM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

I have two new, never run Enya 60IIIB engines. One has a G7 carb and the other has the G8 carb. What's the difference in performance?
Mike
Old 05-29-2010, 10:36 PM
downunder

The G8 version with muffler gives the same power as the G7 without muffler or about 12% more power if both are used with a muffler. An Enya chart I have shows the G7 producing 1.3HP and the G8 with 1.45HP. An engine test by Peter Chinn back in 1973 found peak HP came at 14500-15000 which he described as "outstandingly good".

They're lovely engines but be prepared for a long running in period. Mine has done 80 minutes of running so far and the ring still almost looks like brand new, I could only see the beginnings of smoothing out of the machining marks by taking a macro photo then altering brightness and contrast.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Luna_Rendezvous

Personally I think Enya rings are too hard, after trying Bowman's product in my 46-4C and 45-2C I can highly recommend them, they break-in with only a few tanks, and you also have the opportunity to custom fit the ring gap to you cylinder for optimal compression.

Mike.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:13 PM
colingw

ORIGINAL: downunder

The G8 version with muffler gives the same power as the G7 without muffler or about 12% more power if both are used with a muffler. An Enya chart I have shows the G7 producing 1.3HP and the G8 with 1.45HP. An engine test by Peter Chinn back in 1973 found peak HP came at 14500-15000 which he described as ''outstandingly good''.

They're lovely engines but be prepared for a long running in period. Mine has done 80 minutes of running so far and the ring still almost looks like brand new, I could only see the beginnings of smoothing out of the machining marks by taking a macro photo then altering brightness and contrast.
My model 6001 45BB is like that after about 40 minutes. If you didn't know it had been run, you would think it was new and untouched.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:35 AM
rrengineer

After posting my question I actually looked into the throats of the G7 and G8 side by side. I'm guessing the 7 and 8 are referring to millimeters diameter as you can see about a mm difference in diameter between the two. Quite simple I guess, bigger throat more air, thus more hp. I will have to buy a G8 from Ken Enya if I want to make a twin sometime in the future! Thanks for the performance info downunder.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:35 AM
NM2K

I would be more inclined to go with another G7 carb or a couple of matched Perry carbs, which could be bought for the price of one G8 carb, I'm sure.

Why? Because I could choose carbs with a lower airflow rating, which would increase fuel suction, improve fuel atomization and would eliminate the need for a pump. All of which would make the engines more reliable running in the long run. Something valued by multi engine operators. That last erg of horsepower isn't nearly as important as engine reliability.

Just my $.02.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-30-2010, 11:08 AM
downunder

Yep, the G7 and G8 refers to the venturi size (mm) and the G8 would require muffler pressure. There was a version of the later G10 on the 60X-4 that used a geared pump.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:00 PM
rrengineer

The engine with the G7 carb must be an early version of the 60IIB because the instructions make no mention of a G8 being available. On the other hand the instruction sheet for the G8 carb engine give specifications for both carbs. The "SPECIFICATIONS" section of the instructions that came with the G8 carb engine tell you that pressurization for the G7 is "needless" and for the G8 it is "needed". This is the only difference in the instructions between the two engines, everything else is word for word the same. The G7 carb engine comes in a black box and only a gold colored label on the top of the box saying "ENYA Engines" and the address of Enya in Japan. The other box for the G8 engine is an MRC version. In the picture of the MRC engine the muffler is a current version. The crankcase was drilled at Enya in Japan. Ken Enya generously offered to drill it for free as I do not have a drill press or extra crankcases if I screwed it up. It was only gone a couple of weeks. This time I will wait for a strapped muffler to show on Fleabay.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78018.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1445149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25871.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1445150  
Old 06-01-2010, 09:44 PM
stumblebum(2)

Thanks Guys for your input.

In reply to NM2K (post 387)....I stand corrected. The dead stick led to the crash whether it was the cause or not. Have tried

different new, different heat gloplugs. Tried it with 10 X 6, 11 X 5 and 11 X 7 props.

In reply to Riddle4u (post 391)...Engine was bought at an estate sale, no paper work. Had some use on it. Tried standard tuning on

the high speed needle, what I use on other engines. Rich to lean several times. Runs fine on the high end. Didn't notice the plug color

but engine seems normal temp when it quits. I don't think the fuel tank is the problem. K & B 40 ran fine on the two planes the Enya

49 would not run on. Probably is operator error as NM2K suggested even thou at the time of the crash, almost a year ago, I

considered myself just past newbie. I now consider myself intermediate. I have tried adjusting the low speed from able to run all the way to nothing. I have went in both directions and end up back at the same spot. That is, the spot where it runs as described earlier.

I will post updates later.

Thanks Again
stumblebum
ama47306
n5ezw
Old 06-01-2010, 11:50 PM
NM2K

Don't mind me. I'm just an old grouch these days.

Good callsign. My old technician callsign was close to yours (N2ECW). I had it back for a while last fall, but eventually went back to NM2K.

The important thing is that you're not giving up. I wish you much success in solving your problem.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Riddle4U

Yea, Stumblebum...keep with it! I am sure that experience is the main thing. To other conversations on G8 and G7, I assume you're all correct on the throat diameter. I do note that a larger throat is not always consistant with increased HP! It was mentioned that the G8 required pressure and not the G7. This is due to decreased intake velocity which results in lower natural fuel draw (from Bernoulli). You can't have it all.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:06 AM
Riddle4U

Downunder, mine is actually an SS .40 R/C BB. I think I got caught up since my first Enya was a .29 R/C. Must be the "nine" part is age-related brain malfunction. Glad you did find a .49X though, in existance. Sorry for the confusion. My brother and I both have some of the last .40 SS BB's sold apparently (in the U.S.). I hope they may become available again as they blow away my O.S. .46 FX! They take some carefull break-in, but continue to deliver year after year! Now that is what I am talking about!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Hobbsy

It was mentioned that the G8 required pressure and not the G7. This is due to decreased intake velocity which results in lower natural fuel draw (from Bernoulli). You can't have it all. (Quote)

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_36...#ixzz0pt2dm800
This is something I discovered with my Enya .46MKII in 1990, if I placed a 12x6 Graupner on it, it would have a really fat midrange. Put an 11x6 on and the revs went up and you could run the HS needle about 3/4ths turn leaner and no more fat midrange.
I got pooh poohed a few times for saying it was the lower airflow velocity when using the 12x6 that was the root of the rich midrange. My .53TN handles a 12x6 just fine.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:05 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Riddle4U

Downunder, mine is actually an SS .40 R/C BB. I think I got caught up since my first Enya was a .29 R/C. Must be the ''nine'' part is age-related brain malfunction. Glad you did find a .49X though, in existance. Sorry for the confusion. My brother and I both have some of the last .40 SS BB's sold apparently (in the U.S.). I hope they may become available again as they blow away my O.S. .46 FX! They take some carefull break-in, but continue to deliver year after year! Now that is what I am talking about!
I just bought a pair of new SS40BB G7 engines direct from http://www.enya-engine.com last fall. They were on special for Y9,980, or about $109 plus shipping at the time. I'm enjoying flying them right now, and was just putting some additional run time on one of them last night.

Enya ran out of the SS40BB G7 engines, but the standard SS40 and SS40BB TN engines are also available.

I know that the yen to dollar exchange rate is bad, and that ordering Enya engines direct from Japan isn't exactly frugal. The engines are so good, however, that the price almost seems meaningless. Should an Enya 50CX cost $75 more than an O.S. .55 AX? Does it matter if the Enya will last as long as five .55 AX engines?

I've only recently been "turned on" to Enya engines, but boy am I ever hooked!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:51 PM
NM2K

Like you, Big Ed, I too occasionally spend the extra money to buy Enya engines. Yes, they are worth the extra money, which isn't always available to spend, but, when I can afford it, I buy Enya engines as often as possible. Too bad they stopped making my favorites, the AAC series of CX engines.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-04-2010, 05:56 PM
rich52mag

Ed there is a .45 CX on ebay with 23 hours to go, the bidding is up to $36 it was never run looks real nice!
Rich another Enya LOVER
Old 06-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Riddle4U

Yes, Big ed the Enyas seem to last much longer and give more power. O.S. makes some great engines..for sure but there is something about the metalurgy and fit of Enyas I am guessing, that just results in a little more performance and longevity. I have yet to run my O.S. 120 surpassII with pump (4s). I think I'll like that too.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:46 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: rich52mag

Ed there is a .45 CX on ebay with 23 hours to go, the bidding is up to $36 it was never run looks real nice!
Rich another Enya LOVER

Thanks. I'm on it.

Ed Cregger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.