Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

WHAT 2 STRKS OUTLAWED??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 06:45 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WHAT 2 STRKS OUTLAWED??

There is a rumor circulating in England that the US has passed a ban on 2 strk engines INCLUDING model aero engines effective in 2 yrs
I know all lawn equipment stuff in California being sold has to be 4 strk Is there really a diifference in a 2 strk glow or 4 strk in emissons?? Besides they run alcohol hence no sulfur and very low NOX emmissons, As soon the the saucer lands will check with the little green men martin
Old 01-10-2006, 06:55 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: WHAT 2 STRKS OUTLAWED??

I'm sure this is eventually coming but havn't heard anything concrete as of yet

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 01-10-2006, 07:10 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i live in california and you can bet your boots that when it happens i wont be no rumor, well all know almost instantly, so hang in there
Old 01-10-2006, 07:15 PM
AMB

w8bye --Iam sure Saito and the other 4 stk makers would love it myabe started by one of the electric folks over there, Then again Enya does have a 4 strk diesel in the works, As I said will most likey based on ommissions I really do not see alcohol based fuels
a problem most likely the 2 strk weed eater may be gone martin
Old 01-10-2006, 07:17 PM
w8ye

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's what I think and it will be in California first.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:22 PM
AMB

It must have been pretty strong across the pond Paul at Just Engines E mailed me about 3 hrs ago asking about it martin
Old 01-10-2006, 07:27 PM
AMB

I can see it now the 2 strk police at the field , glue fake valve covers on your heads
Old 01-10-2006, 08:22 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

I have read somewhere, I believe here on RCU, that the AMA has worked with the EPA, or whatever agency to create exemptions for model engines.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:26 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: dieseldan

I can see it now the 2 strk police at the field , glue fake valve covers on your heads
I think it's going to look a little odd to see a bunch of guys walking around with valve covers glued to their heads.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:35 PM
B.L.E.

I doubt seriously that the 4-stroke model engines are significantly cleaner than their 2-stroke counterparts. A rich mixture guarrantees that there will be loads of not completely burned substances coming out of the exhaust.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:12 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All those 300 hp outboards --Trashed by Bush?---No Republicans in many states.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:13 PM
AMB

Piper Chuck just hum like a 4 stroke and use extra quiet mufflers on your 2 strks martin
Old 01-10-2006, 09:18 PM
AMB

Creating exemptions for them makes sense again most are burning alcohol as stated and I hope the exemptions goes thru for the giant scale guys for their gas burners. There should be an exemption for aircraft engines A lot of the Ultra Light guys use Rotax 2 strks
Yiu are not talking millions of weed eaters , chain saws, leaf blowers etc martin
Old 01-10-2006, 09:40 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: B.L.E.

I doubt seriously that the 4-stroke model engines are significantly cleaner than their 2-stroke counterparts.
Of course they aren't. That's not the point. The point is the Bambiites must do SOMETHING to make them feel good about themselves. They know they have no chance against the industrial polluters who are the real villains here. So they go after an easier target, knowing full well it won't make a bit of difference.

That makes them as bad, or worse, than the polluters, to my mind. There is nothing more dangerous than a determined zealot, because he has no sense of reason. His cause is everything. These morons, along with the equally blind PC advocates, are slowly but surely destroying the US; heck, the world.

But, on a practical note, even if model two stroke engines WERE "banned", let's see just how the EPA would enforce it. Besides, it would probably only apply to new manufacture; existing engines would probably be grandfathered in. Probably...[&o]
Old 01-10-2006, 09:44 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is more greenhouse gas coming from the california state capitol than all the airports in the world[X(]
Old 01-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Jim Thomerson

It would probably be a good idea to check with the AMA rather than running rumors around (not that I will let that stop me[8D]). As I recall the AMA was involved with the EPA and it was determined that our use was so insignificant as to be of no consequence. Something to be said for being small and insignificant!

Anyway, at sometime in the forseeable future, it will be all electrics anyway.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Dr1Driver

What you Brits don't understand about the US is California doesn't matter to the rest of the country. In fact, if that San Andreas fault would do what it's s'posed to, and make the entire state an island, that would suit the rest of us just fine. Then, we could make it a separate country and declare war on it. <ducking>

Dr.1
Old 01-11-2006, 12:11 AM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

If it happens, will running 2-strokes in 4-stroke mode be allowed, ya know, like slobby rich? That creates worse emission, but it's beside the point, as most of my 4-strokes emit more residues than 2-strokes.[X(]

How about Mazda RX8? Is a Wankel a 2-stroke or 4-stroke?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:44 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: dieseldan

w8bye --Iam sure Saito and the other 4 stk makers would love it myabe started by one of the electric folks over there, Then again Enya does have a 4 strk diesel in the works, As I said will most likey based on ommissions I really do not see alcohol based fuels
a problem most likely the 2 strk weed eater may be gone martin

------------------

Wouldn't ya'll think that they would be targetting engines that utilize premixed fuel (gas and oil) instead of whether it is a two-stroke or a four-stroke?

I remember reading some time ago that there was already a provision for permitting glow engines to be exempt from this rule. Besides, it will only affect new equipment being sold for lawn utensils and such. I seriously doubt that they are going to target model engines in the legislation. Of course, if there are no utility two-strokes available for sale new, eventually this will affect the models too.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:16 AM
B.L.E.

It seems a lot more likely to me that, rather than banning 2-stroke engines, emission standards for off road power equipment will be raised to a point that most manufacturers will give up trying to meet them with 2-stroke engines.

The people who fly the big gasoline powered planes are the ones who should be most concerned about this.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:38 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

It seems a lot more likely to me that, rather than banning 2-stroke engines, emission standards for off road power equipment will be raised to a point that most manufacturers will give up trying to meet them with 2-stroke engines. Just like catalytic converters on cars, the EPA never said that cars had to have them, the car makers found them to be the easiest way to meet emission standards. The Honda CVCC engine was one of the last of the non catalytic converter holdouts.
The people who fly the big gasoline powered planes are the ones who should be most concerned about this.

I agree. It seems to me that the large models have taken a dip in popularity recently. Does anyone else see it this way?
Old 01-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Motorboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the 2 stroke engines are outlawed in California, how many modelenginebuilder are making own 2 stroke engines in home workshop[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]

Jens Eirik
Old 01-11-2006, 10:29 AM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

California is in the process of phasing out 2-stroke cycle gasoline engines. As far as I know, there is no effort to get rid of 2-stroke cycle engines that run of other fuels (diesel, methanol, etc.)

Have a nce day

doubledee

Edited to remove comments
Old 01-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Berwyn Bill

ORIGINAL: doubledee

As far as DR1driver's comments, I feel they are inappropriate and as with all other prejudices have no place anywhere on the RCU website. I live in California and don't appreciate his comments. Like his probable German ancestors, he needs to be damn careful who he declares war on and should keep his opinions to himself.

Have a nce day

doubledee
Pot... Kettle... Black.[sm=rolleyes.gif]
Old 01-11-2006, 07:38 PM
B.L.E.

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

It seems a lot more likely to me that, rather than banning 2-stroke engines, emission standards for off road power equipment will be raised to a point that most manufacturers will give up trying to meet them with 2-stroke engines. Just like catalytic converters on cars, the EPA never said that cars had to have them, the car makers found them to be the easiest way to meet emission standards. The Honda CVCC engine was one of the last of the non catalytic converter holdouts.

I agree. It seems to me that the large models have taken a dip in popularity recently. Does anyone else see it this way?

I think all radio control flying has been on the wane lately with the possible exception of electric park flyers. One of my favorite local hobby shops closed it's doors a couple of months ago. If this trend keeps up, I'll probably have to mail order my hobby supplies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.