Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

RCV Engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Roger at RIA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCV Engines

I have been thinking of buying an RVC 91-CD engine. I know no one who has one and was looking for information on how reliable they are and the performance of the engine.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: RCV Engines

It's a pretty reliable engine once broken in. One of my club members has one, and it's running great. There are several videos on RCV website showing this engine being used. The guys over at YT International prefer to use this engine in their 12 lbs warbirds because it doesn't stick out as much as other .91 four strokes.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:53 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a 91 SC. After a couple years, I sold it to a friend. He says it started first flip, was extremely easy to set the needles. He just loves it. Uses it all the time.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 01-15-2006, 02:40 AM
bigchap

i have 4 rcv 58 cd's,they are a very nice engine,easy starters,never cut on me once and they are very small so perfect for hiding in a cowl,i have a friend who runs the 91's and it's the same story with them.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:30 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

I have a pair of RCV 60-SP's I'm going to run in a Martin Mariner flying boat when finished.

I've run them in, and they have a nice sound and certainly a small frontal area. The SP's, being geared 2:1 are very torquey and can spin a big prop (relatively). I'm using 13 X 13 four bladed on my 'boat'. The CD's aren't geared. Apparently the early models were very noisy due to straight cut gears, but I read that they are now helical cut, so much less noise.

I understand they need good cooling, so if you're cowling it/them, it is recommended that you have twice the outlet area as inlet in the cowl to get the hot air away easily.

They both start very easily.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:58 AM
Richard L.

The SP series have had cooling issues, probably due to the cooling fins being perpendicular to the incoming air. I wonder why RCV didn't change the design by remolding the engine casing with the cooling fins parallel to the air flow.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:23 PM
w8ye

The fins on the SP are CNC machined. It would just be a matter of reprogramming the machine.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 01-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: w8ye

The fins on the SP are CNC machined. It would just be a matter of reprogramming the machine.
My thought exactly. It would be trivial for them to change the direction of the cooling fins to lessen or eliminate the chance of running into cooling issues.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

It had occurred to me that changing the cooling fin direction would improve cooling.

Maybe it's more of a 'looking normal' thing they are trying to achieve, but at the expense of cooling.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:33 PM
The sign man
My Feedback: (1)

I have a rcv 91 and I'm putting it in a hanger 9 p-40. When I lined up the mounting plate one of the bolts runs right through the opening for the fuel tank. Any suggestions? Have any of you put this engine in a P-40 yet? Should the fuel tank be moved? I could use some help, thanks
Old 01-19-2006, 09:03 AM
rustleruss
My Feedback: (3)

I have not even seen one of the rcv engines so i can not say wether they are a good engine or not i do like the way there made real cool can hide one with out all the cutting for a close in engine cover but way to new and not much info yet and the cost blows my mind so maybe unless i can find a used one to test i will just wait on there price to drop a lot and much better infomation
Old 01-19-2006, 09:31 AM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: rcguyme

but way to new and not much info yet
The RCV SP engines have been out for at least three years. These are the ones with 2:1 gear reduction and can swing large multi-bladed props. There are some videos of the SP engines in action on RCV website. The CD line is relatively new.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Per Laurenne Mansbridge in response to Richard L.

Thanks for your post.
With regard to the cooling fins, all RCV SP series are cnc machined from solid (rather than diecast like conventional 4-strokes), and this machining process means it is not feasible to change the cooling fins. If we went to a die cast design we would consider changing the fin orientation, however research into this suggests the results would not be significant, as the current configuration potentially increases cooling due to turbulence.

Secondly RCV SP engines don't really have a tendency to overheat any more than other 4-strokes. Instead, because of their streamline shape they can be too tightly cowled without enough air flow over the engine (both air in and air out). As long as basic cowling rules are followed they shouldn't be any overheating problems. Rules include allowing at least 1" air inlet with 3" air outlet. If tightly cowled arrange a scoop within the cowl to direct airflow over the engine.

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 01-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Kmot

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Roger at RIA

I have been thinking of buying an RVC 91-CD engine. I know no one who has one and was looking for information on how reliable they are and the performance of the engine.
Wanna see one in action on a test stand?

Part 1

Part 2

Right click and "Save As" please........
Old 01-20-2006, 09:19 AM
rustleruss

I was reading about the 60 size engine and the rpm was low 1200-6000 wow i do not think i have seen such a large engine with that low rpm forget speed iam guessing power for larger props and planes

RCV60-SP
Specification Imperial Metric
Manufacture CNC Machined from Solid
Engine Type 4-stroke - Glow ignition
Displacement 0.6 cu inch 10 cc
Max Power (approx.) 0.9 bhp 0.67 kw
Weight (exc. silencer) 20.7 oz 570 g
Length 4.11 inch 104.4 mm
Cowling Radius R36
Propeller shaft diameter 5/16" UNF
Practical RPM range @ prop 1,200 - 6000 rpm

Example Prop Sizes 2 Blade 14x14, 15x12, 16x12
3 Blade
13.4x13.5
4 Blade
13x13, 14.5x11
Recommended Fuel 10% Nitro / 15% Oil including max 6% Castor
price 269.00
Old 01-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Richard L.

The rpm is low because the engine has a 2:1 gear reduction unit, as already stated in a couple of posts above. The prop is turning at half the crank speed. 6000 rpm means the crank is turning at 12000 rpm, which you do not want to do for an extended period of time.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:26 AM
w8ye

The SP's sound different than a regular four stroke but they impress one that the engine is turning the normal rpm.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 01-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Woody 51

Careful Semi Retired.
The RCV .60 has an issue with the material used in the crown wheel and pinion.
Grant Furzer of WRCS in Sydney, lost his RCV.60 powered TU 95 "Bear" at Shepparton because this assembly failed in flight.
This was the 3rd time this had happened to Grant (previous 2 incidents had happened on the run in bench and were repaired under warranty.)
Contact me direct and I will put you in touch the Oz Engineer who is working with RVC on overcoming this problem. He can advise you of the technical details and what to watch for.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:35 PM
w8ye

I understand that they changed to a Helical Bevel type gear to replace the straight cut teeth?

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 01-22-2006, 10:14 AM
rustleruss

Well the more you read and hear from people on the rcv engine says it is still way to new and there is problems that need to be fixed before i even think of buying one some may have been around for 2-3 years but still to new so i will just wait and see what happends. keep the topic comeing
Old 01-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Runway

Roger at RIA
Might this be of interest to you:-
http://www.*************.co.uk/4um/i...?topic=10205.0
Old 01-22-2006, 01:32 PM
CLBetten

I have a .91 SP in a 8' Lanzo Record Breaker and I love it. I built the plane to be a test bed and showcase for the engine. It became a perfect match. The gear train was very tight and noisy at first especially when the engine was cold. The more I use it the better it sounds and runs. I watched the crankcase vent very closely to see how much actual metal was being polished off and discharged during the break -in and it was surprisingly clean.

It tunes as easily and reliably as any other engine I have ever had. After about 15 flights using a ten ounce tank it is still very tight when cold (I have been flying in 30 degree weather )but after it has been started once during the day it is a simple one flip hand start engine. Mine will run on the rich side and turn a Dynaflight 18X10 steadily @5500 rpm with 10% synth./castor blend @ 4500'.

Mine has no cowl and I haven't flown it when the temp has been above 70 degrees or so. If the engine design were to be at fault for any cooling issues my guess would be the fact that there must be some air gap between the cylinder sleeve and the engine case since the fact that it floats on bearings. Also in effect the cylinder "head" has no fins at all and mostly must use the prop. shaft and washer as a heat sink.

I had become bored of them and traded all of my four strokes when I got this one. I have really enjoyed the RCV. At the first I thought it might be a gimmick but I now believe it is a serious, practical, user-friendly engine. Long term "torture" test to follow....

Take care, Cliff
Old 01-23-2006, 07:56 AM
rustleruss

Intersting Review but one good does not make a great engine thats why i read all that can be read before i even think of buying any engine thanks
Old 01-24-2006, 01:46 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcguyme

Intersting Review but one good does not make a great engine thats why i read all that can be read before i even think of buying any engine thanks
One bad revew does not make a lousey engine either. I've read a lot of threads about the RCV. My observation has been that those that own RCVs are mostly satisfied. Many have said that they've been very reliable too. Those that have had problems with the engine, have said they have received good service from RCV. They are different, and I have heard people say, 'not for me', but that doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the engine. I am putting the .90SP in my TF Spit. If all goes well, and I am satisfied with the performance, I will use them for other scale projects for the unique advatages they offer.

Scott
Old 01-24-2006, 10:03 PM
CLBetten

You can at least give them credit for the fact that no one has accused them of being as OS clone...yet ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.