Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Robart Super Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 12:36 PM
jackheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robart Super Pump?

Hi,

I have a late 70's Robart Super Pump leftover form my pattern days. Does anybody know anything about this thing? Does it even work? Is it as good as a Perry Pump?

I was thinking of using it on one of my helicopters. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:52 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Robart Super Pump?

The old Robart pump works exactly like the Perry VP-30, with the exception of having no pressure adjustment. Inlet snd outlet ports on the ends, and the port to the crankcase on one side.

Does yours work? Check it.

Bill.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:40 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: William Robison

The old Robart pump works exactly like the Perry VP-30, with the exception of having no pressure adjustment. Inlet snd outlet ports on the ends, and the port to the crankcase on one side.

Does yours work? Check it.

Bill.

---------------

My memory isn't the best in the world, but I believe they had a big silver disk on them that adjusted the pressure. It was located under the pressure nipple.

I would be surprised if the diaphragm was any good after all of these years.

My brain is akin to scrambled eggs these days, so please pardon me if I am wrong.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:48 PM
William Robison

Ed:

You're probably right. It's been years since I've seen one.

Bill.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:48 PM
jackheli

It was never used, so there is a chance the diaphragm is ok. I blew from the pressure tap and it locked in one-way. I still have the instructions and all the tests passed...

This is the beast:

Is is worth trying?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:19 PM
William Robison

Jack:

Remember there was a resaon for Robart dropping it from their line. I don't know what it was, if it was just cost then give it a shot. If it was not reliable that's another matter entirely.

The Perry went through Perry, then Varsane, and now Conley is making them. The Robart pump disappeared. Something to think about.

Bill.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:38 AM
Philip Taft

My guess is, It was dropped either because the number of returns by people unable to configure the thing correctly caused retail not to supply, causing a drop in sales, or it was so reliable no-one came back for a second one. It does happen !!
Phil
Old 01-30-2006, 03:40 AM
Philip Taft

Me again,
If you know anyone who's got some I'll buy 'em.
Phil
Old 01-30-2006, 05:35 AM
NM2K

Ed:

You're probably right. It's been years since I've seen one.

Bill.

--------------

Bill, after I thought about it for a while, I'm not so sure I wasn't thinking of a Perry. But thanks for the benefit of the doubt, Amigo.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had two of these Robart pumps. I picked them up at a swap meet, they were in the box of stuff that I wanted something else out of.
Any way, I decided to try them out since the instructions were in the little box. A well used Fox 74 that was extremely reliable was the test bed on an old Super Hots that I moved the tank closer to the CG. They worked just fine once the plumbing was done, its been awhile so I can't remember which line went to where. The Fox 74 with the air-bleed EZ carb had no problems with the pressure and I never had a deadstick or a leaning problem with the pump in place.
I thought they worked as well as anything else, just a little more complecated to plumb.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:52 PM
jackheli

Thanks for all the input, guys. I also contacted Robart but got no reply back.

I'll will put it on and report my findings.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:45 PM
NM2K

Jack:

Remember there was a resaon for Robart dropping it from their line. I don't know what it was, if it was just cost then give it a shot. If it was not reliable that's another matter entirely.

The Perry went through Perry, then Varsane, and now Conley is making them. The Robart pump disappeared. Something to think about.

Bill.

---------------

I wish they would make them again.

I ruined several pumps, both Perry and Robart by destroying the diaphragms with 3-in-1 oil, my first after-run lube back in the seventies. I was not aware of the fact that petroleum distillates attacked the diaphragm.

Many folks used 3-in-1 oil back then, that used an after-run oil. I wonder how many pumps were declared "junk" before the owners found out that they were destroying them, as I was?

The demise of the sixty two-stroke engines in pattern, or the introduction of the OS RF and SF pumped engines probably had a lot to do with Robart's discontinuation of the product.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:53 AM
jackheli

Got this email back from Robart:
Jack,
Robart discontinued the Super Pumper 20 years ago due lack of sales as model engines got better. Unfortunately, we do not have any spare parts left. I would imagine that the "O" Rings would be destroyed by now, so I would hesitate to use it.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:49 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Robart Super pumper. I installed it on a SuperTiger bluehead .40 That engine had a .60 size carb on it from new. The engine was well broke in with many flights when I installed the pump. It was kinda hard to tune & ran a little rich on low end. When you got to 1/2 or full throttle...WOW... did it ever scream. It must have jumped 2k better on top RPM. I still have the pump....used silicone spray to keep it good. May try it again some day. Got all the papers with it too. Capt,n