Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS F52 break-in on new model?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 03:20 AM
mikenlapaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS F52 break-in on new model?

Could use some guidance on getting my new bi-plane design and new engine through maiden and the first hour or so of flight time. I'm new to glow engines, been using gas on conversions so far.

Props available: MAS 11x7.5 APC 12x5, 12x7, 12.25x3.75, 12.5x6 Plane AUW 4lb 11oz 16oz wing loading.

Fuel: PowerMaster 4 Stroke 10% 4-Cycle 15% Oil Synthetic Castor Blend (Manufacture did not reply to request for assistance on their product not meeting OS 18% oil requirement)

Klotz KL-200 Techniplate Oil
Klotz BeNOL 2-Stroke Castor Oil

Does this engine need a 'brewer's special fuel mix' during hour or two of operation? and what prop would you use for maiden and next few flights.

This is the thread on the new plane: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3830657/tm.htm
Old 01-27-2006, 04:15 AM
Test005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS F52 break-in on new model?

Fuel is debated and everybody have their own preference.
I have three OS 4strokes (.70 .70 .52)and run hem all on this fuel:

Byron 15% nitro, 16% synthetic oil. Then I add 1oz of Klots castor oil to each gallon bottle.
This works fine but I know others who use straight synthetic and/or a mix of synthetic & castor.

(My choice of fuel was from browsing the forum here on RCU)

I run 12x6 props on the .52fs
Old 01-27-2006, 10:04 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: OS F52 break-in on new model?

This plane is not heavy but has a lot of parasitic drag. It also has a lot of wing area.

The 12-6 is the standard prop for the OS 52 and the airplane will fly great with the 12-6.

You can run any of the props you listed.

Due to the way the plane is designed, something like the 12.25 X 3.75 Or 13 X 4N would be special props for any vertical performance the plane may be able to perform?

The standard fuel is 15% nitro with a couple onces of caster thrown in. If you use something like Omega, its probably good enough by itself after you get it broken in? They still run just fine on 10% nitro if that's what you have? When the weather gets hot, a little more nitro like 15% gives you a better high speed needle spread.

A glow engine is more sensitive to the temperature and humidity than the "set it and forget it" engines you've been playing with.

Enjoy,

Jim