Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

wrong oil woes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 07:05 PM
94aero
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrong oil woes!

Has anyone else used caster oil in a YS? I know I goofed about a week later when I tried to start it and my Hi-tork starter would not turn the 140 over.[&o] I'm new to the YS world as I've been running an other fine motors from Enya. Oh well, any suggestions.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:14 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: wrong oil woes!

The castor oil gums up the regulator/pump. Castor doesn't bother the rest of the engine.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 02-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I use WildCat with 80/20 syn castor blend and never a problem, it's not your oil as Jim said.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:24 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The kind of oil you do not want to use in a Y-S is petroleum based oils. This eats up the silicon diaphragm.

Enjoy,

jim
Old 02-03-2006, 08:00 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As everyone said, it's not the oil but in the future you would be better off not using castor.

Pull the plug and see if you can turn it over. It might be hydro-locked. Do not try to turn it over once the plug is out with the start because if it's hydro-locked they you may end up with fuel in your face/eyes.

Are you sure the battery is full charged for the starter and the starter is OK
Old 02-03-2006, 11:37 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Gang:

Got to assume this is not the official YS site, if it is, guess gonna get another butt chewing.
If you are ruinning pure castor, that a no-no with any current 2 or 4 stroke engine I am aware of. Should run a good blend of synthetic and castor oils. YS recommends generally 20%oil and 20% nitro. I'm on my 10-12th YS, never a running problem through the years and I abuse um. I use Power Master 15%nitro which has about 18% oils, motors seem to love the stuff. My worst screw up was recently sticking a after run oil recommended by supertiger, marvel mistry oil and ATF 50/50. into my YS's. They have been sitting for over 6 months and I was concerned they were getting dry. Well, I stuck the carburator barrels in two of the three. So now I am cleaning them out and replacilng all the gasgets, plunger and diaphrams and will use nothing but Performance Specialities after run oil called "Ultra Oil" in the future. Its also the lube they use in assbmbly of their engnes. Don't want to ever hear that "you dummy" laugh of D. Shadel again, even warranted. Oh well, another lesson. There is some great info on fuels in this forum, worth taking the time to read. Treat the YS engines reasonably well and they reward you with more power than the rest and years of reliable running. ENJOY