Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 100 carburetor nipple broken

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 08:36 PM
ruwafl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 100 carburetor nipple broken

i have a saito 100 that has had the fuel nipple broken off of the carb. i can get it tapped out and rethreaded with another nipple. my question is this, when looking down into the hole the nipple broke out of, hope i can explain this properly, should the hole in the needle valve casing be the same size as the nipple? i wasn't successful at backing out the broken off piece of nipple and now it is all buggared up and will have to be re tapped. thanks!
Old 03-06-2006, 09:10 PM
dmrcflyr2
My Feedback: (43)

Default RE: Saito 100 carburetor nipple broken

I think its time for a new carb. Any irregular running after that repair can most likely be the first thought in your mind about the cause. You don't want to go changing tolerances too much. To tap the hole larger may mean a larger diameter fuel inlet too. Just throwing some thoughts out. Saito are finely tuned machines, if it was me, I would replace the carb.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:17 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ruwafl, you can replace just the carb body, not cheap but will be a fix you wont have to worry about

here is a link to it:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SAI100831
Old 03-06-2006, 10:19 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, i just looked at the availibility and its not due till late may[:@]
Old 03-06-2006, 10:33 PM
ruwafl

yes, i had already looked at the carbs at horizon and was thinking about the plausibility of doing the repair. late may is a long time to wait and a new carb is a bit pricey, but then considering a $300 dollar motor that is brand new. tell you the truth, this sucks. but i guess caw caw happens. of course i can call horizon tomorrow and see what they have to say. maybe they can fix it cheaper than a new carb or body.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:05 AM
wcmorrison

I think the tap out will work. You are not changing the needle valve and the needle valve seat, those control the flow of fuel, not the size of the nipple input. So as long as you maintain the needle valve you should be okay.

I have found those nipples do come in different sizes. They also use a tappered thread (pipe thread).

You should try it any way, then if it don't work, get the new part (with the nipple installed).

Cheers,

Chip
Old 03-07-2006, 12:48 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Take your pick...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...=nipple&CatId=

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-07-2006, 10:12 PM
ruwafl

thanx for the replies. i called horizon hobby today and for $30 bucks an hour they will fix it. my hobby shop will sell me the carb body for $20 bucks. so i am going to go with idea #2 and get the new carb body for $20 dollars and try the fix on the broken carb myself. nothing to lose at this point since it doesn't work anyway. i have tried these fixes on other carbs and some worked and some didn't. any one know where to find a pilot proof plane and engine?