Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
 Magnum XLS 46 low speed needle setting >

Magnum XLS 46 low speed needle setting

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum XLS 46 low speed needle setting

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 09:32 PM
xe2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum XLS 46 low speed needle setting

[:'(] I've got dumb thumbs so I had to replace the carb body. I reassembled the carb with new body and set the rotor bolt so the barrel with open and close all the way. Factory Instructions for resetting low speed needle to factory settings are as follows: "open carburetor completely. While holding the barrel open, turn the mixture screw in until it stops. From this point turn screw out 2 1/2 turns." I did as instructed but the barrel will not close as the needle is now striking the spray bar before the barrel closes all the way. However, if I close the throttle, then turn mixture screw to the stop, then open the throttle and back out 2 1/2 turns I end up with a 2mm gap needle to spray bar. Which is the proper way? Following the instructions provided, why can't close the barrel? #@$%!!!

Does any one know or have a guess as to what's wrong?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:11 AM

Default RE: Magnum XLS 46 low speed needle setting

Number 2 is correct. Actually the correct setting is where it will run correctly. To get very close, with the throttle at idle, (barely open) hook a piece of fuel tubing to the inlet nipple and blow through it. At the same time slowly open the low speed needle until you can just hear the air start to come through. This will be a good place to start. After you get the engine started, go to full throttle and adjust the high speed needle. Then go back to idle and see how it idles. Pinch the fuel line with a pair of needle nose pliers while idling. If the engine speeds up considerably, then lean out the low speed needle some. Keep doing that until the engine barely speeds up when pinching the line. Then reset the high speed needle and check the transition. If the engine dies when hitting the throttle hard, you might have gone too lean on the low needle.

Ernie
Old 05-13-2006, 12:18 AM
xe2

Default RE: Magnum XLS 46 low speed needle setting

Thank you Ernie for the tutorial. I shall follow your format and instructions. As I'm still new to this hobby my knowledge base is very limited. Blowing air into the spray bar and then adjusting the set screw makes a lot of sense as an initial, rough, setting. I think this method was mentioned in an article or a thread someplace but I had completely forgotten about the method.

Thanks again

Dumb Thumbs, Bert