Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
 Enya .09 2 stroke - Erratic Running. Advice?? >

Enya .09 2 stroke - Erratic Running. Advice??

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Enya .09 2 stroke - Erratic Running. Advice??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Enya .09 2 stroke - Erratic Running. Advice??

If you want to sell the Enya let me know.

They were good little engines.

[email protected]

If you remove the capital T's then that's my email addy.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:13 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,

The only thing those two engines have in common are their size.

The Enya is an iron/steel piston/liner setup. The porous iron will make a varnish seal to compensate somewhat for a worn out engine. The LA is a ABC type setup. The high silicon aluminum piston will not make a varnish seal. When it's worn out, it's worn out.

When an iron/steel gets overheated by a too-lean needle setting, the piston expands faster than the cylinder, causing a tighter fit, more friction, and eventually thermal runaway. During thermal runaway, castor thickens and will sometimes stop the engine, saving its fit. No castor and the synthetic usually vaporizes and burns. The extremely high temps in this case can entirely wear out the engine in one run.

The ABC setup, on the other hand, will cause the cylinder to expand faster than the piston (in theory) and cause less friction. The wear you get is mostly from lack of lube. Much less impact. There too, castor will be there to lube when the synthetic flashes.

There are some excellent synthetics I've only read about. They don't seem to be used in the USA. Probably cost.

Another difference is the engine porting. The Enya is a baffled loop scavenged engine and the LA uses Schnuerle porting. Remember that the LA had about 40 years of advancement over the Enya. Still, IMHO, the Enya brothers put out one heck of an engine in those days, and I understand the family still puts out excellent engines today.

In all honesty, I would not use fuel that does not have some castor, at least half in an iron/steel setup, and all-castor in an OLD iron/steel. Just MY choice, though.

George
Old 07-24-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: gcb

Another difference is the engine porting. The Enya is a baffled loop scavenged engine and the LA uses Schnuerle porting. Remember that the LA had about 40 years of advancement over the Enya. Still, IMHO, the Enya brothers put out one heck of an engine in those days, and I understand the family still puts out excellent engines today.

In all honesty, I would not use fuel that does not have some castor, at least half in an iron/steel setup, and all-castor in an OLD iron/steel. Just MY choice, though.

George
Follow George's advice WRT to fuel -- he has the experience to back up his recommendations. Your engine will be happier for it.

Years back, ENYA's were not known to be stump pullers, but were good, solid engines with exceptionally long service lives. I'm inclined to believe this was due to two reasons. We didn't try to wring every last RPM out of the engine and the oil was 100% castor. George covered the two real advantages of castor: high film strength and high flash point. Today, when an engine gets hot, the synthetics burn, leaving no lubrication and adding to the heat. Castor's high flash point allows it to carry a lot of heat out of the exhaust as hot liquid. It's a little messy, but it has probably saved a lot of engines during lean runs.