Great camera/macro work Bill!

Ernie
Old 08-20-2006, 06:31 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: saito .82 losing power/ surging

Ernie:

Thanks for the kind words, but all it takes is a good camera.

Bill.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:56 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Saitos are fire breathing hairy engines. Can't avoid having some in the pictures.

Haw.

Bill.
[/b]
Let me guess, either they came from an old rag, or you were using your beard. Haw

Thanks for the pics and enlightenment!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:32 PM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rajul,

I don't think I would worry about the 82 at this point. I have one too, but still in the box. We know for sure that there are 2 versions of the backplates for the 72 and 82, but there has been a mention of a newer,harder version.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Ken6PPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I promised I would post the results of sending my Saito .82 back to the Service Center.

Read this post: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4669289/tm.htm]How is Saito's Warranty Service? [/link]
Old 08-25-2006, 04:31 PM
IronCross

Dang, that is impressive... Do you have the name of that tech... Maybe Horizon is getting better at the service thing... My experiences have always been rather mediocre to say the best..... That is really great news...
Old 08-28-2006, 04:26 PM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

i sent my engine in 2 weeks ago. called them today to check the status and they said it's on it's way back to me. the guy i talked to said that they replaced the high speed valve and it ran good afterwards. he wasnt too specific. i'll post what they wrote in their report after i get my engine back.

ken, sounds like you had a great experience with them. you sent your engine in after i did and got a new one back before i'm getting mine back! the down time kinda sucks but i'll be satisfied if my engine comes back running as good as it did before the problems started.

brian
Old 08-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Ernie Misner

>>> i'll be satisfied if my engine comes back running as good as it did before the problems started. >>>

They are sweet running aren't they? That 82 is the engine I just want to fuel up as soon as it lands.

Ernie
Old 08-30-2006, 04:21 PM
hilleyja

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one possible solution I have not seen listed here has worked for me when three of my Saitos (FA-100, FA-100, and FA-72) started to surge during idle. In all cases they started this after running about one season

ADJUST THE VALVES!!!!! Check the Saito instruction pamphlet -- it talks about adjusting the valves after a few hours of run.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:48 PM
Ernie Misner

Jim, was excess valve train noise one clue.... did they get quieter after the adjusting when they ran better?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 08-31-2006, 08:46 PM
hilleyja

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I did not detect any unusual valve noise. The engine(s) just started to surge during idle. Since this occurred right around the time frame indicated in the instruction pamphlet to adjust the valves, that is what I did and following the valve adjustment and needle valve adjustment the engine is running like a Swiss watch again.
The following users liked this post:
Bknaws (04-02-2021)
Old 09-12-2006, 05:55 PM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

i got my saito back last week. they replaced the carb/ high speed needle assembly.

after making the usual adjustments to the low end and high end, it ran great. the power is pretty much back to where it was and no mroe surging. the only complaint i have is that the transition seems a little rough. i've been trying to smooth things out by adjusting the low end, but i cant seem to find a setting that has a "happy" transition. it's not that bad, but just not as smooth as i'd like. but overall, it's not a big deal at all. my fuel efficiency also went up with this new carb!

the other weird thing is that you'd think that the engine would come back with low speed and high speed already adjusted, since they tested the engine before sending it back. but everything was at the factory setting (i.e. about 2 turns too rich on the low end and extremely ricch on the hgh end).

well, overall i'm happy. i hope i didnt jsut jinx myself by saying that. the last time i told a guy at the field that this saito is the "best engine i've ever owned", it started giving me problems the very next day i was out =(.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Ernie Misner

I wonder what could have happened to your carb and needle ass'y. in the course of just flying? It did run great.... interesting. Thanks for the info!

Ernie