Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

YS 1.20 NC as first 4-stroke engine???

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

YS 1.20 NC as first 4-stroke engine???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 05:20 PM
JustErik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 1.20 NC as first 4-stroke engine???

Hello All,

I'm very new here at RCU (GREAT resource, by the way!), but have been in and out of the hobby several times over the last 30 years or so. So far, my experience has been limited to 2-stroke glow engines up to 1.2 cubic inches. I've gotten the itch to branch out into the 4-stroke universe and stumbled across a classified ad on this site for a newly rebuilt YS 1.20 NC for what appears to be a very good price. I know it is more complex than a traditional 4-stroke because of the pressurized regulated fuel system, and I know about the benefits of these features, but I don't want to jump in over my head with something too complicated for a rookie 4-stroker.

I'd love to hear comments and suggestions on the suitability of this engine for 4-stroke newb.

Thanks in advance,

Erik
Old 08-09-2006, 08:04 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: YS 1.20 NC as first 4-stroke engine???

I think it would be a little more difficult than the other brands of four strokes but I also feel any four stroke is going to be a learning experience. If you can have anyone at your field that has experience with these engines or if you are mechanically minded go for it, it is a good price. I would ask how long ago it was rebuilt and the reasons for it (crash?) A friend of mine crashed his Ys engine and damaged it pretty bad. He sent it back to the factory and it returned in very nice shape, he is real happy with the results.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:55 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

I agree, there is a learning curve associated with any new power system, but the YS 1.20 NC is a great performer, and may possibly have been my first 1.20 4-stroke (but not my first YS nor my first 4-stroke). There is a lot to learn about this engine, but it is all accessible here on RCU and some other internet resources. It's a major plus if you can hook up with a YS user somewhere to help you through any tight spots. My 1.20NC ran like a watch right out of the box, and continues to be steady, reliable and powerful. When you need re-building, YS Performance does good work at reasonable prices.

Inverted starts have never been a problem, no on-board glow needed. Fuel delivery has always been fool-proof on all my YS products. Tuning is not all that much more complicated than with any four-stroke. Valve adjustment is a trick you should learn with any four-stroke, but my YS's easily go a full season on one adjustment. The way YS stands up to hard use and the power they deliver make them to me the best value in four-strokes, even if the initial cost is higher than the others. I like my OS & Saito four-bangers, but the YS is in a class of its own.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:00 AM
JustErik

gnirwin and majortom-RCU,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I'm still on the fence about this particular engine, but it's safe to say that when I do venture into 4-strokes, I won't have any second thoughts about going with a YS.

Regards,

Erik