Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

I'm having trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 12:19 PM
grazzhopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm having trouble...

figuring out whether or not the ASP .91A series 3 is the same exact engine as the Magnum .91 XLS. Pictures on the net indicate the XLS has a squarish head distinctly different than the ASP's round shiney head, but the pictures of the Magnum have XL stamped on the engine, not XLS. HMMM? The reason I ask is the ASP can be had NIB for 1/2 the price of the XLS, and is supposedly made by the same manufacturer? The XLS has recieved great reviews, but I like the 1/2 price idea...Anybody know for sure? I don't want the ASP version of the old Magnum XL, but will jump all over it if it is indeed the ASP version of the new XLS. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:08 PM
grazzhopper

Upon further review, I think the ASP .91A series 3 is the exact same engine as the Magnum XL .91A, not the XLS. But still, for $75 NIB it might be worth considering. Hear good things about the XLS though...
Old 01-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

ASP, Super Custom, and Magnum engines are all made at the ASP factory in mainland China.

It sounds like the Series 3 ASP line is the same as the old Magnum XL line. I've never had any major problems with any of the seven Magnum XL engines I own that weren't my own fault (e.g. I burned up a .15XL by running it too lean). $75 is a bargain!

The new XLS series Magnums do indeed have the squarish heads, like the OS FX engines. The old XLs were round and highly polished, like the older OS SF series.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:47 PM
Perminator-RCU

Magnum, SC and ASP are indeed made at the same factory but they are of different quality. Magnum are the the ones with the highest quality and SC is next and ASP are the ones who passes the fewest checks.