Cap 232 .40 with Saito .91

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 05:30 AM
Born2Fly
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cap 232 .40 with Saito .91

Hi,

I have H9 Cap 232 .40 size plane. I want to put Saito FA-91S on this plain. Do you think it’s too much or should it work just fine!!!

Thank you!!!
Old 01-17-2003, 06:19 AM
Pepe J
My Feedback: (2)

Default Just Right

I think you have a good Combo. As I recall the H9 Cap is a 6 lb.+ airplane. I think it would be a bit of a Dog with a standard .46 2c A .72 would work quite well if the weight doesn't exceed 6.5 lbs. and should give good vertical. If you can, try and calculate the wing loading for both engines. An OS 90 would probably be to heavy and a .70 is probably the same weight as a Saito .91? Hopefully, someone with a H9 Cap will comment here for you.

One thing I have found out with ARF's and big engines with lots of power, you can "Blow the Wings" right off them. You just don't know how they're constructed under the covering and you usually find out the hard way. I'm beginning to really get turned off of ARF's because of the "shotty" construction.

I think you will be just fine with the .91 if you use good discretion and proper throttle management when flying. Have Fun!

Happy Fly'n....
Old 01-17-2003, 07:56 AM
Born2Fly
My Feedback: (21)

Default Another question?

Hi Pepe J,

The weight difference between .72 and .91 is 1.764 oz. Does anybody knows where to buy a good book about 4-stroke engines. Thanks!!
Old 01-18-2003, 01:33 AM
Pepe J

Default 4c Manuals

The Saito's are quite a bit lighter than the OS's and either one of the Satio's should do well in the front of your Cap. Where I was coming from with the engine/wing loading is, you don't want to put a big heavy engine up front and counter balance it with a bunch of lead in the tail. You would literally be flying a "Rock-it."

There are a couple of good books that I here are quite informative. "The R/C 4-Stroke Engine" by Clearence Lee and "A Guide to Saito (or OS) Model 4/Strokes." In my opinion both these books should be revised. They cover models prior to 1986 & 1991, but will give you more than the basic info. You can order them at your LHS or look in the back of an issue of RCM.

Happy Fly'n....
Old 01-18-2003, 03:59 AM
Ground Zero-RCU

Default Cap 232 .40 with Saito .91

The H9 cap will do just fine with a Saito 91. I have one with a Saito 100, which I believe is the same weight as the 91, and it comes in at 6.5 lbs. The larger engines are thirsty so I also put in a 16 oz tank due to very short flight times with the standard tank. I flew it with a Saito 72 for a week or two and decided to try the 100, with a 15x6 prop it jumps off of the deck in a matter of feet and has monster vertical. The larger tank does not help the high wing loading, but after running the engine in the stocks and a few minutes of flight, the extra fuel weight bleeds off and you can enjoy a solid 15 min of flight time.

Mike