Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

AP wasp .061

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 05:55 PM
jerusha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP wasp .061

i am wondering if a 7x4 prop would be suitable for this engine if it wqas being used in a 35 inch wingspan trainer. also does anybody know what fuel to use for this engine. i am new to nitro so any suggestions and help are welcome.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:20 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AP wasp .061

Hey, jerusha. I just bought one of these a while back; it's about 2/3rds broken in. AP recommends 15% nitro for break in, but 1/2A engines run best with 20 to 25% nitro once broken in. You'll want to add the extra head shim if you go above 25% nitro. Make sure your fuel has castor oil and at least 20% to 22% total oil content. Sig sells an excellent 1/2A fuel blended specifically for small engines. Byron sells a 1/2A blend, too, but you need to add a few ounces of castor to the jug (it's only 16% oil).

Don't expect the power to be anywhere near a Norvel, but the AP Wasp is a great little engine. They start instantly and have an excellent carb with exceptional throttling. I would not bog down this engine with a 7" prop. The APC 5x7.3 is perfect. A 35" span trainer will be a perfect fit for the Wasp.

You might want to check out the 1/2A forum here at RCU. A lot of really great people with tons of experience with small engines (a few widely know Cox experts hang out there, too). Enjoy the engine.

David