Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Cowled 2 stroke cooling question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowled 2 stroke cooling question

Hi All,
I was wondering if it would
I am doing final fitting of the cowl on a Goldberg Extra 300 (old BIY kit) the engine is a ST G-90 with pitts style muffler, outlet area of the cowl is huge[8D], my question is whether to open the air intake opening on the side opposite the cylinder or leave it closed, which would provide better air flow over the engine? I'm leaning towards leaving it closed, any thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Pete
Old 11-10-2006, 11:05 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Cowled 2 stroke cooling question

Leave it closed.

The only effective cooling on a model engine is that which blows over the top of the cylinder and head area.

However, that Pitts muffler can have a lot of heat. Try to make sure it is downstream in the airflow from the head.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:17 PM

Thanks w8ye,
The muffler body is in the path of the airflow[8D]
One other question.
The fins on the head are a bit too high for the cowl, I may have to cut open the side of the cowl for the head area, rather than just a hole for accessing the plug, I'm tempted to grind down the top fins to clear, at worst I could wind up having to get a new head (I've been told I need a "checkup from the neck up" but that's another issue) will have to check into the cost if that were the case.
Thanks,
Pete
Old 11-10-2006, 12:53 PM

man, DONT grind the fins.. that wouldnt be very good. you will end up burning the motor up. just trim the cowl so the head can get airflow. I know it sucks but what else can you do?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:36 PM
My Feedback: (19)

keep the other side closed off.

It is simple if you think about it .... physics requires the cooling air exit area to be greater than your inlet area (wont get into the math here, lets just say 3X as large). If you have the extra inlet hole, the exit area must accomodate that source of inlet air - air that is likely not performing any cooling function. With one opening, direct to the cylinder, you can be assured that the majority of the airflow is working to cool the engine and muffler, and the exit area can be sized accordingly.

Bob

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65299.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	557722  
Old 11-10-2006, 02:06 PM

Thanks Bob,
Well it looks like I can be lazy and not have to cut out that extra opening[8D]
Pete
Old 11-10-2006, 03:57 PM

I have one of these with a 1.08 OS and a slimline pitts muffler. The engine is mounted sideways with the head protruding from the Fiberglas Specialties Cowl. Only forward facing hole is the one in front of the carb. Works fine for me.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:42 PM

Is that OS 1.08 adequate for that plane, "In thrust we trust"
Yeh, I have the Fiberglass Specialties cowl for mine, bought the kit back in 95' when it came with that useless 2 piece plastic cowl, I also upgraded the landing gear, for what I have in it for the kit and upgrades I could buy the H9 Edge 540 ARF ONLY KIDDING no substitute for the frustr, er, I mean satisfaction of BIY[8D]
Pete