Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
 Saito 80 4 stroke PROBLEMS  PLEASE HELP >

Saito 80 4 stroke PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 80 4 stroke PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 05:09 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 80 4 stroke PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP

hello everyone... I am new to this site.... I was told about this GREAT PLACE by a friend.....
and it is just that supper support center.. lol...
so HERE is my situation...
I bought a saito 4stroke.. used.... He said it was in great running condition... So.. I have worked on my P-51.. all say yesturday.... lol
just to finaly start it this afternoon.... IT starts... it runs smooth but as soon as you POWER up.. .. it makes a HUGE knocking sound and then DIES...
It will restart immediatly... no problem.... let it idle... then POWER UP...SAME thing happens time after time...
So .. all KINDS od Questions arise????
was the motore ever takin apart...????
was the timing off....????
is the cam WORN?????
for someone that knows oviously more than me..... with making that kinda noise....someone autta have a good educated guess as whats wrong?
NOW>>> I have taken the motor apart..... in hopes to find something BROKEN.... but nothing is......everything is ok... and there are no metal shavings anywere..... PLEASE PLEASE some one give me some insight on this problem..... THANKS>>>GUYS.....
Old 11-23-2006, 05:43 PM

Default RE: Saito 80 4 stroke PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP

G'day Mate,
Check cam timing, valve clearance, & make sure it is not too lean, on the top end needle. Those are my educated guesses!
Old 11-23-2006, 05:55 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Open up the high speed needle -- It is too lean on fuel
Old 11-24-2006, 03:44 PM
My Feedback: (264)

If it's a rattle sound, it's detonation, back out the hi-speed needle til it stops, Some engines will react rather violently when they rattle and try to kick the prop off in you face.[:@]
Old 11-24-2006, 06:01 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Muir:

I'm in agreement with the lean high speed, but there are other considerations as well.

First, many of the FA-80 engines in use are the "High Compression" version, with these 15% nitro is pushing the upper limit. 5% runs more easily in them, and gives better fuel economy as well.

Next, whether it's "High" or the later "Low" compression version it runs with more power and less wear with the valve clearance set to minimum, you said you checked, but did you set them to 0.0015" clearance? The close setting, along with castor oil in the fuel, will greatly decrease the wear on the acm and lifters as well.

Finally, if none of this helps, there is an upgrade kit for the carb that seems to settla any of the FA-80 engines down.

Bill.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:58 AM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm glad you got it worked out, always suspect the needle settings first and things like airleaks, cam timing, worn cams, etc last and you won't waste a lot of time shooting in the dark.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:32 PM

If your low speed adjustment is turned in too far, it can prevent your hi speed needle from richening the mixture. Back your low speed out if this is occuring. I needed the upgrade kit to allow me to run the 80 inverted without glow heat. A velocity stack also helped quite a bit.