Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Du-Bro vibration reducing engine mount

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Du-Bro vibration reducing engine mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Birman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Du-Bro vibration reducing engine mount

Has anyone used the Du-Bro vibration reducing engine mount on their four strokes? If so, what are your thoughts on this mount? Is it worth the rather high cost?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD632&P=7

Thanks....
Old 12-03-2006, 07:40 PM
bipeflyr
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Du-Bro vibration reducing engine mount

I have used the Dubro mount and it worked well. Problem I found is that when glow fuel or oil from engine get on the rubber isolators it allows the mount to have alot of movement. I had to always keep a couple spare pakages of isolators on hand.

I have had very good luck with the JTec mount, about the same price, they are firmer, isolators are not effected by fuel/oil and do a great job of isolating vibration as long as you dont tighten them down too much.

http://www.jtecrc.com/fourcyclemounts.htm
Old 12-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Birman

Thanks bipeflyr. I just bought a RCV91-CD and I'm have a hard time finding a mount for it. JTec's site said that they will custom make a mount so maybe that's where I'll go.
Birman
Old 12-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I have used the Dubro Mount on everything from a .56 - 1.20 4 - stroke, a 1.60 2 - stroke and a 26cc MVVS gasser. I have never had a problem and after hundreds of flights on the different mounts I have NEVER replaced the isolaters to this point.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:29 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got one of the DuBro's on my L-4 (.65 Saito) and it works great. Like Bipeflyr says the cushions eventually get soft. Mine have needed replacement (?) for a while, but like an idiot, I used Loctite Red on the screws I mounted it with, and I can't get them loose without spinning the blind nuts in the firewall. They are still stiff enough that the plane is flyable without problems, but you can really move the engine around when trying to start it. Some day, maybe this winter, I'll pull the engine and tank and work on getting those screws loose so I can change the rubbers. What a PITA.

I have another mount like it that I'm using on my FunAero SE-5 (.91 Saito) when it gets built. Just won't use red loctite.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:21 AM
wiz310

Just for your info, The mounts used on the compressor in a lot of fridges and freezers are quite good engine mounts, and are a hell of a lot cheaper than Dubro stuff.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:45 PM
RVM

The only downside with the DuBro Iso Mount, in my opinion, is that they are heavy. On larger planes it won't matter, but it can make a difference in the smaller ones.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:47 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; I use those mounts and have 5 Saitos mounted on them from 120 to 56. I also use them with OS flur strokes, work great. Seems to allow quite a bit of movement at idle but stings smooth out when you throttle up. I think all engines should be soft mounted to reduce the effect on the airframe, after all, just about every engine you can imagine is rubber mounted or vibration isolated in some way, why not model airplanes too?

They are expensive, but worth it, I think.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

I have a couple of them things and there both in a drawer now .The reason why is the rubber gromets after some use allow the engine to tilt up when under pressure. I replaced them a few times and finally just used a diff mount .I did however have good luck with these when I used them for smaller sized engines 90-108 no probs, especially if I needed a little nose weight.