Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Towers 46&75 oh Dear

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Checklst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towers 46&75 oh Dear

Hey Guys I'm ready for my punishment if I did a bad thing. I had a moment of weakness this week and I just purchased a Tower 46 and 75 for install in a couple of dusty planes. I have only owned OS & TT46 2c since the mid 80's and own nothing but Satio and TT four strokes, all these engines run great with little to no trouble........ OK guys am I going to regret this.............I am a vary good engine tuner but I hate to mess with POS..............The OS and TT 2 strokes have spoiled me rotten.

Let the Ars kicking begin, I'm ready to take my medicine.................[sm=red_smile.gif]
Old 12-04-2006, 09:11 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Towers 46&75 oh Dear

Enjoy your new purchase. I had 3 Tower 46's at one time. They all ran perfect.

The Tower 75 is the hottest thing going the last three years.

I'm sure you will be happy.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:12 PM
LANNYBOB

who makes those engines?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:22 PM
w8ye

GMS makes those engines
Old 12-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Checklst

Doh.............. I liked the GMS non remote needles better.......Thats the only thing about the Towers that bothered me the extra 3 gaskets for the remote needle, Go's against my keep it simple policy.....Double Doh!! Oh well maybe I'm just woried about nothing........ Thanks guys I feel better seems a lot of people are having good luck with these Tower engines. [8D]
Old 12-04-2006, 09:49 PM
w8ye

On the 75 all you need do is move the rear needle valve and body to the side of the carb and remove the rear bracket

On the 46 you would have to buy a GMS 47 carb to have a front needle

But the remote needle itself was never any problem for the Tower 46 owners.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:58 AM
misterpanda

TheTower 75 is one of the best engine purchases you can make. Good price, powerful, reliable.

Good luck.

Misterpanda
Old 12-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Checklst

Thanks guys I just got them today. Nice looking quality, talk about tight piston bore at TDC sheeeeese.................. my electric starter is going to get a workout for sure.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:49 PM
w8ye

For the first runs, heat the cylinder heads up as hot as you can with the Monocoat gun before you put the starter to it.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

For the first runs, heat the cylinder heads up as hot as you can with the Monocoat gun before you put the starter to it.
SQQQUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKK!!!

I thought I was gonna ruin my last one before I could get it started and throttled up to wide open for the first break in tank. Sucker kept squeaking and it would die before I could get my hand on the throttle stick. The piston would lock up at TDC and I'd have to flip the prop through compression to get the piston back down. I was cringing and thinking that the motor was going to be ruined. I had visions of my rod ends being wallered out to egg shapes as the piston was pushed and yanked up and down in that tight cylinder. Heckuvalota force being applied to the rod ends in this situation.

On the contrary--she's the best screaming TH.75 I've had yet. A tight engine means ya got your moneys worth. [8D] Enjoy it.

I'll be taking the heat gun to my next one before I fire it up for the first time. If you can get that cylinder head heated up a bit and get some heat in that cylinder--it'll expand a bit and won't be so tight on that first start-up. Less wear and tear on the engine during that initial run-up and break in. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Run it WIDE FRIGGIN' OPEN and let it scream. Keep it about 3/4 turn rich and let her scream bloody murder as hard as she'll go with a little prop that will let it spin up to high RPMs. Max engine speed is 15,600RPM. I break mine in with a little bitty prop that will let them spin 14,000--15,000RPM and still be plenty rich to keep it from seizing. Thats how ya make a screamer out of a glow engine. Whatever prop it takes to get it spinning high RPM and still plenty rich on the needle is what you want.

Thats just my method. I'm sure someone will tell you I'm an idiot and you should run it stupid rich at an idle for 15 minutes first.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:15 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been buying used high-end engines lately, instead of new cheap engines. I'm surprised that I didn't "discover" the bargain that they represent many years ago.

Ever have your brand new, brand X engine (OS schneurle) slaughtered by a friend's used Rossi, Webra or YS? I have. It smarts a bit. Especially when they paid less for theirs than I paid for my new engine.

Anyone want to sell a BSE Jett .50?

Ed Cregger
Old 12-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the 75 is like the 46, it will be a powerhouse.

The TH46 does have airleak problems and often will not shut down with the transmitter. Silicone the backplate and the carb O ring. This takes care of about 90% of the problem. If it still won't shut down you have 2 choices....Send it back for a replacement or change the front bearing that is leaking air.

IMHO, they are very powerful engines, however, I feel that the not shutting down is a MAJOR safety hazard.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Checklst

Well guys I just ran the 46 in and all I can say is "Oh my God" you should have told me to have ear plugs..........LOL it's been a while since I had an engine with a Tuned Pipe,sure the instructions say Tuned muffler but no matter how you slice it, it's a pipe. I primed her and She fired right up ,went to full throttle and started to lean her out. She hit the first high rev rpm speed fairly quickly. I then leaned her out with a fuel line pinch, after every 2 clicks THEN WITHOUT WARNING FROM YOU GUYS .........she hit the TUNED PIPE....OMG took me by total suprise. She still reved up on the pipe another 6 clicks with line pinches, I then backed off 8 clicks and she still held the pipe.

The second Tank was devoted to low end needle adjustment "only took 3 shut downs with 3 easy starts and the rest of the tank was varying throttle from mid to full to idle, with no stalls. Since she had a vary smooth and low idle, quick transition the next 3 tanks were in the air with no dead sticks. The only problem to speak of was the tuned muffler came loose and was spinning on the first tank, I put blue loctite on the nut last night, but it appears the gasket under the nut shrunk a little. She did fall in and out of the pipe with the loose spinning pipe,after tightening it up all was well.

All in All vary nice running engine, as good as any I own...........only time will tell on the longevity issue.

Opps almost forgot 15% cool power, 8 clicks off peak, first tank break in was with a MAS 9.5/6 all tanks after were 10/6 and "SORRY MY TACH BATTERY WAS DEAD" My ear and the fillings in my teeth told me I was probable close or over the 16 grand they listed as the high with the 9.5/6 ,and I had a little needle to spare. After the last tank shut down I could touch the head without burning my fingers,it was 39 degrees out however.

Thanks for listening and I will be ready with ear plugs for the TH75 Who needs to hear your wife naggen anyway, right....LOL
Old 12-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Sport_Pilot

Getting slightly off topic here. The non baffled expansion muffler's are quite loud. The old K&B mufflers are probably louder than the Tower tuned muffler. The quitest non baffled expansion muffler I have is probably the Fox. I seem to recall reading that ole Duke spent some time optimizing it for the best compromise between sound and power. I think the porous aluminum they are made from has something to do with it.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:55 PM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

With the Tower mufflers you need some kind of adhesive to keep the muffler from spinning. You can use JB Weld (but may not be able to rotate tail piece again) or high temp silicon. Use Locktite for sure. Personally I like the sound these mufflers make and wish they were louder.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:23 PM
w8ye

I use the Tower 46 muffler on one of my OS 46 FX's. It really cranks out the serious revs
Old 12-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Checklst

ORIGINAL: buzzingb

With the Tower mufflers you need some kind of adhesive to keep the muffler from spinning. You can use JB Weld (but may not be able to rotate tail piece again) or high temp silicon. Use Locktite for sure. Personally I like the sound these mufflers make and wish they were louder.
Thanks: I tighten it down a lot harder the second time around and used blue tite it has held for 4 tanks now, My Dad taught me not to over tighten bolts long ago.........just make it snug he called it..........LOL I don't think he ever saw anything that turned close to 16,000. The bolt look hardened so I think it will be ok.......

I am real impressed as to the quality of the engine and the execlent idle, top RPM,and did I mention ease of starting. It's early in the game but so far I'm vary impressed,with the value this purchase represents. I'm still an OS,Satio,TT fan, but I might have add TH to my list of easy, great running engines and it is kicking the backside of the rule "you get what you pay for". I bought a 75 & 46 and paid 79 bucks for the 46 and got a 15 dollar discount for the 2 engines. Thats puts it at 72 bucks not counting the free shipping and no tax. This is adding up to a great VALUE if the 75 even comes close to running as well as the 46.[8D]
Old 12-08-2006, 01:38 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Checklst, I recently had a similar satisfying experience with a Tower engine. I bought the .61 since I plan to do some SPA flying in '07. Man, the ABC pinch was tight out of the box. But after the first run it now starts every time with just a slight bump from my starter. I am truly amazed at the power this thing has. And I agree, the tuned muffler is on the loud side.

Here are some of my numbers. None are fully peaked out:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2064292/tm.htm

As for the longevity of Tower engines, I think it's a non-issue. They sell the parts so darn cheap - with free shipping - that it hardly matters at all if something wears out more quickly.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran 10 gallons through my .75 this summer with not one dead stick. The engine still runs and feels like brand new.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:53 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the muffler on an Evolution .46NT. The tach showed 1000 more RPMs with the muffler. It was quite a bit louder, but I enjoy the sound.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I stuck a Tower muffler on a 46LA. That was like adding nitrous oxide to the motor. SERIOUS RPM gain, but I can't remember exactly how mich it was. Seams the Tower muffler is good for ust about any motor you can bolt it up to.

I did have to drill out the holes in the case on the 46LA because the bolt spacing wasn't quite perfect. But, about 1mm or 1.5mm on each side and the muffler bolted right up.