Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

C&D Enterprises glow plug driver

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Koffi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C&D Enterprises glow plug driver

I have an older C&D Enterprises (Huntington Beach, CA) Pro Driver glow plug driver. The batteries have been removed so I don't know how many it takes to run it. Does anyone have any information about this unit? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:30 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: C&D Enterprises glow plug driver

Title: Glow plug driver
Document Type and Number: United States Patent 4274034
Link to this Page: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4274034.html
Abstract: A glow plug driver adapted to be coupled to a power supply and a glow plug comprising first and second conductive leads for coupling the glow plug to the power supply and an electronic switch in the first lead having conductive and nonconductive states so that pulses of electrical energy can be supplied to the glow plug. A resistor and a capacitor are coupled between the leads in parallel with the glow plug so that the capacitor can charge when the electronic switch is in the conductive state and discharge when the electronic switch is in the nonconductive state. A timer is used to place the electronic switch in the conductive state for a predetermined amount of time. The timer is in turn controlled by a transistor having its base coupled to a junction between the resistor and the capacitor.
Internal devices like this in model Airplanes are usually 4.8V?

External starting devices have been 12V?

Old 12-11-2006, 01:55 AM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

No guess - the C&D driver used 4.8V NiCds for power.
I have a schematic is you need it. It'll have to be USMail as my scanner has quit scanning!
[email protected].
Old 12-11-2006, 10:44 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

C&D from Huntington Beach? I used to work at C&D Aerospace at Huntington Beach. They make aircraft interior commodities. C&D Aerospace has been bought out recently. I wonder if it's the same company.