Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Four Stroke Help: YS 140 vs Saito 180 >

Four Stroke Help: YS 140 vs Saito 180

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Four Stroke Help: YS 140 vs Saito 180

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 07:24 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four Stroke Help: YS 140 vs Saito 180

There are several people on this board that have put lightweight 40 gassers on 72 to 78" airplanes. I dont think I would personally on a 72" but then I wouldnt spend 700 bucks for a ys140 either, It al depends on what you call quarter scale, wing area and weight. I had a ys91 and it was the most contary engine I have owned, sure it was powerful, but getting it going and keeping it going.. PITA. I will be fitting a CA 74" extra soon and it will most likely get an OS 160. Best bang for the buck IMO. I guess I and many others are crazy for putting 50cc gassers in the PW extra at 78-79" ( advertised as quarter scale) .. crazy like a fox
Old 02-05-2003, 09:53 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Inorris quote:

"Ladyflyer, I'm not so sure the YS importer ISN'T making a killing. Checking out the prices at http://www.heli-kraft.com makes me think that someone is making a ton of money on the YS 1.40 engines"

I guess it all depends on what you call "A Killing"
I know Richard is FAR from being a wealthy person. Neither of us knows what he is paying for them nor what duty he IS paying . There are some real good grey market Saito deals as well. I bought a Saito 100 in Singapore for less than $200 !
The Saito is a VERY cheap engine to build in comparison and they build about 100 engines for every 2 YS makes so Saito has economy of scale on their side.
The Saito 100 and the far more expensive to manufacture YS 91 have nearly identical prices in this market. You can expect to pay a lot more for a YS from Horizon than from other dealers.It is a safe bet that if Horizon or GrrrrrREAT Planes had wrestled the distributorship of YS we would have to dig a lot deeper to buy them GrrrrREAT Planes drove the price of Super Tigre and OS through the roof when they did their takeover from World Engines about 21 years ago.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:33 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Default theres a reason

Originally posted by smallfly
I had a ys91 and it was the most contary engine I have owned, sure it was powerful, but getting it going and keeping it going

Not trying to mean anything by this becasue YS engines are hard to get used to, but usally you just gotta have that feel for them and learn how to tweak them just right. not saying that you dont know about YS, but for the others having problems on there first try. They dont run or tweak like any other engine on the planet, lol

Justin
Old 02-06-2003, 03:55 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Default Saito vs YS

In the Saito vs YS comparison IMO there is no contest.

In our club there are numerous Saito engines and a few YS engines.

Everyday at the field I see numerous and I mean numerous flameouts with Saito engines. I have seen numerous props fly off Saitos and I have seen many gallons of fuel being burned in an attempt to break in Saito engines. What fun is that?

On the YS front I see very little tuning and maybe 1 tank and sometimes 2 tanks of fuel for break in. I have yet to see a YS engine backfire and throw a prop.

YS 120 engines are just as powerful as a saito 180 and I have seen a few that are more powerful.

A YS 140 has a lot more power than a Saito 180! They are not even in the same ballpark.

YS engines are a lot cooler sounding than a Saito, Ys engines are a lot easier to break in than a Saito, YS engines have a lot better throttle response and a lot more power than a Saito, you can mount the fuel tank in your plane anywhere with a YS, with a Saito the fuel tank has to be as close to the engine as possible and at just the right height, YS engines have a lot less vibration than a Saito.

So I guess if you want an engine that takes forever to break in and is half the engine of a YS. BUY A SAITO!!!

If you want the Cadillac of engines BUY A YS!!!!!!!!!!

Just my opinion.

I sure feel better getting that off my chest. LOL
Old 02-06-2003, 04:12 AM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Whoa

Edge, I think you must have made most of that story up, I have ten Saitos and all were ready to roll after about one half hour of break in. The Saito manual says 40 minutes. They rarely flame out and the Saito and YSs sound exactly the same. I have two YSs also.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:40 PM

Default What are you smoking?

Man The YS engines sound nothing like a Satio or OS or any other four stroke out there in the model industry. Nothing sounds better than a 3 inch header sticking off the head of a YS, should not even have a muffler that just drives up cost; should have to by it extra, Its mean to run the thing with a muffler or tuned pipe, lol. Even a OS or Satio with a stright stack does not come near the Sound of a YS.

Justin

PS:

Satios and OS Engines run great they have no break in period any longer than a YS. I have a few of both the YS just has more power for the displacment and should be used in applications where its needed.

Think of a YS like a Top Fuel Drag Engine, It's going to run Its heart out but things break more often,(If you run them like there ment to be run) Like valve tappits, etc.

Think of OS and Satio Like your every day car engine, run them the way there ment to run and keep them healthy and they will last forever.

Just like a YS, but in the YS you have to buy a little more in replacment parts. And One other thing never lug a YS down like the 120 for example dont go below 9K stay around 9,000-9,500 on the RPM's. I've een flew mine at 10,200 with a 16x6 Master Airscrew. I hurts to lug down, and ok to free up
Old 02-06-2003, 06:11 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I would be careful. YS states to prop the engine (120 or 140)such that it doesn't exceed 9000 on the ground. I think they know what they're talking about. It's designed to run in a certain RPM range. When you go above or below that you're taking a risk.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ladyflyer,
Why is Saito so cheap to build compared to YS?
Old 02-06-2003, 07:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There is only one truly expensive part to make on a Saito engine, and that is the one piece cilinder.

The Yamada's have helical gears, power boosting induction systems, fuel pumps, fuel pressure regulators and even injection on some engines...

I'd say that about sums it up...
Old 02-06-2003, 08:04 PM
My Feedback: (7)

I have had a bunch of YS 4 strokers......I have loved every one of them. I wanted to try a Saito so I put one in my DP Ulty. I have found the Saito to be very user friendly.....does not vibrate any more then the YS...If you don't fly around full throttle the fuel consumption is very good actually......the power is better then the 140L. I am turning a 18x8 scimitar at 8500. The Saito is very smooth in the air.....it is actually to much power for the Ulty......but it is fun.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had similar experiences with my 1.50...very economic on fuel at 3/4 throttle and below... but really guzzeling fuel at full throttle!
Old 02-07-2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Jim Schwagle
I would be careful. YS states to prop the engine (120 or 140)such that it doesn't exceed 9000 on the ground. I think they know what they're talking about. It's designed to run in a certain RPM range. When you go above or below that you're taking a risk.

Well all I know Is that I have sucessfullly run the YS120 FZ at 10,500 on the ground for a Max Rpm with Wildcat 20/20 for more than 30 flights with no problems. They tell you 9K is a good operating range but its rated at lkie 11,500.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Skymac

Well all I know Is that I have sucessfullly run the YS120 FZ at 10,500 on the ground for a Max Rpm with Wildcat 20/20 for more than 30 flights with no problems. They tell you 9K is a good operating range but its rated at lkie 11,500.
If you run your DZ like that you better buy it in the US since you are going to need to take advantage of the warranty, it will not tolerate that.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:12 PM

The Columbia flew fine for many flights too. They don't tell you it's a "good range", they say prop such that it doesn't exceed 9000 on the ground. Taking it above this takes the engine out of its torque sweet spot and you know the engine revs significantly above the ground RPM when in the air. I'm glad you have had no problems, but I don't think it's prudent for me to risk an expensive, excellently performing engine by passing off what manufacturer, through the importer, says to do and not do, so I don't. Dave Shadel has forgotten more about YS engines than I will ever know.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:30 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Straight from the TOP

Look at this thread from the YS Support Forum, especially post # 4.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...68&forumid=156

can773,
Would you be willing to test the Pro Zinger 18x6 and 20x6 on one of your DZ's ? What altitude are you at??
Old 02-07-2003, 05:41 PM

See I said nothing abut the 140 only the 120FZ at more than 10K. I know people in henderson kentucky runnig DZ's all day long since the first shipment came to the US using 18x6 Meslik props, unless they have changed with no problems
Old 02-07-2003, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Straight from the TOP

Originally posted by Aerosplat
Look at this thread from the YS Support Forum, especially post # 4.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...68&forumid=156

can773,
Would you be willing to test the Pro Zinger 18x6 and 20x6 on one of your DZ's ? What altitude are you at?
Sure if I can get a prop to do it with, I will ask around if anyone has one. Might be a little bit since it is too cold right now to do it. My altitude is 3500 asl, but I have ran the motor at sea level and there is not really a huge change in power maybe 200 rpm..