Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Glow Plug worries

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Glow Plug worries

That my friend, is more important than all the brand loyalty in the world, what works is best. I'm still going to test a few plugs since I like to do that stuff.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:50 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ST engine likes it's glowplugs the way I liked my girlfriends...HOT! I'll keep testing, also, and will try Miracle plug, Fox and others. Gotta get a flight or two in, though, addiction comes first!
Old 02-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Fox Miracle plug and the OS "F" plug are for all intents and purposes identical.
I see the Fox plug has gone up 90 cents in price....they were $3.59 forever. Contrary
to popular belief both plugs are medium temp plugs, not hot plugs. The Miracle plug is
designed to replace idle bar plugs in two strokes. I haven't used an idle bar plug for
over 20 years.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXG907&P=#tech

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCB28&P=M

Years ago OS refered to the "F" plug as hot, but no more.

FBD.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70607.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	613052  
Old 02-03-2007, 07:37 PM
outacontrol41

Hmmmmm. That gets me thinkin'. I think I'll at least try a hotter plug than F. What's available?? Could smoothen out transition to how it was with battery hooked up. Well, what's availabe??
Old 02-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Flyboy Dave

Well, I had to go look....I know I started out with a Miracle plug in my big Tiger, but
now I see I have an OS A3 in it....a hot plug. I run it on 15%....pretty rich, and with
a lot of castor.... it makes a lot of power that way.

FBD.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46134.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	613074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46082.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	613075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63824.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	613076  
Old 02-03-2007, 08:14 PM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those Super Tigers will run on any plug you put in there and you can't tell the difference. The Tower Hobbies plug will run as well as any.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:42 PM
outacontrol41

Sorry, Buzz. We'll have to agree to disagree. I proved otherwise today which is what got this whole thread started. 31 post plus more possible within 20 hours....a lot of us have a different opinion than yours. It may well be that your ST engine runs with any plug with no differnce, but I'm not so lucky. Changing plugs in mine is like tuning knobs on the fawcett...it's either hot or cold. It made a HUGE difference. I'll try a Tower plug when I place my next order and we'll see how it does, and you could be right. But the other plugs I used up to this point are of no use in this particular engine.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Hobbsy

Daver, in my opinion the Fox Miracle is as close you can come to a universal plug that will work in anything, the only other plug I would include in that catagory is the Enya #3, it's a winner in all respects and also edges out all comers for longevity.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to run your low needle that rich an idle bar plug may be neccessary. K&B sells a good one, get the carb adjusted and it won't matter what plug you use.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:41 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Hobbsy,

Got any Saito SS plugs to check while you are at it?
Old 02-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Flyboy Dave

I agree, Hobbsy....

....three plugs to have (IMO) are the K&B 1L, the Miracle, and the OS "F"....

FBD.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:00 AM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: outacontrol41

By the way, for those that were wondering: I'm using Omega 10%...
Outacontrol,

I am glad you got your issues solved.
Try changing your fuel to 5% nitro and closing both needles a bit more.

You might get even better results.

This engine was designed in Italy, with FAI fuel in mind. This means high compression and most people (although, not all of them) who are having 'carburettor problems', are trying to run the 15% nitro that is so popular in the US.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:28 AM
speedster 1919

FBD I know that is the newest OS hot -cold chart but I think is kinda whacky. You could also take it as between the 2 specialty plugs the F is hotter than the RE
Old 02-04-2007, 01:48 AM
outacontrol41

DarZeelon,
I'll give it a try, though I've never used anything less than 10% it's worth a try. I'm starting to like this engine now. I've always bought brand new O.S. and Saito engines and broke them in myself. Following owners manual I've never had a moment's problem with these brands. Then I went and bought out an older gentleman's surplus of RC equipment that he gathered over a 20 year period. He got out of it (RC hobby) and in the package was this engine which I knew nothing about. Super Tigre is not something I'm familiar with...but thanks to this forum I can possibly now pass for a Super Tigre salesman...or not. Anyway, I don't mind trying different things at this point as long as I can get back to where I was. This engine pulls around a .60 sized 'Dragon Lady' from Hobby People? I think and it's a real floater of a plane. If the idle is set to high the plane floats right by me slowly with no intentions of landing. That's why it's so important for me to get the idle down low and reliable for slow safe landings.

It's been windy here in Maryland for the last few days...such is January[&o]
Can't wait to get this bird up in the air!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:06 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

Outacontrol,

It is 9:30 AM where I am at....

Although Jim, Ed and Dave are experienced fellows, I suggest you first try a cold plug.

A four-stroke plug, like the Fox Miracle, or the OS F, are hot, so as to retain their heat during non-firing cycles.
But, because of their longer 'nose', they behave colder than they really are.

So, in some larger engines, they keep the fire lit, without causing undue detonation, as an OS A3, or an Enya #3 plug may. As to the OS A3, it is said to be a good plug for some four-stroke engines...

I have very little experience with this specific ST engine.

-------------

I have never knowingly used an OS A3. I'll have to pick up a couple and give them a try. You can't have too many tools in the tool box.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-04-2007, 02:33 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

don't flame me it was only for baffled pistons. (quote)

Speeds, I've been barbed before too, for recommending a Fox IdleBar plug, people saying that the idlebar "keeps the fuel away from the fire" what a load of bull, the idlebar on the Fox plug is the equivalent of putting a 2x4 across a 25 foot barn door. Any two stroke you can think of will run fine on a Fox IdleBar plug. It's the only plug with which my MDS .48 will transition well.

---------------

Conversely, many engines show a few hundred rpm decrease in top end with an idle bar plug. That's why they aren't as popular as they used to be.

I keep a few around for my baffle piston engines and for an occasional special application with a schneurle ported engine. It is just another tool in the tool box, as far as I'm concerned.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-04-2007, 09:22 AM
speedster 1919

You guys can say what you want-But I stock only 2 plugs in my field box. They are the FOX RCLONG and the FOX MIRACLE. The miracle plug is for 4 strokes. Yes if I was limited to only one plug it would be the miracle plug. Just about everything in this hobby now is from JAPAN ,CHINA, TIAWAN , VIETNAM, AUSTRIA ,ECT. I take pride in using an american plug. I tune for the plug -not plug for the tune. I'm not sure if K&B are made in america but that would be my second choice. I get a kick out of my fellow members telling me you need alot more than 5% nitro and can't believe I'm running those crappy FOX plugs. This is their opion passed down from magazines and hobby stores. I have tried other plugs and yes they worked fine. But I choose FOX because of my wide veriaty of engine brands and sizes . I got 2 new magnum 4 strokes coming and they will see MIRACLE plugs. OK I vented-WHEW
Old 02-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Hobbsy

You dun good. The shrouding around the Miracle's heating element does not automatically make it a hotter plug, it just retains whatever heat it had longer because it's protected from the intake charge.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Hobbsy

Barry, I have several of those plugs I will include them, some say SS on them and others that look identical but are older say H.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:52 PM
outacontrol41

ORIGINAL: speedster 1919

You guys can say what you want-But I stock only 2 plugs in my field box. They are the FOX RCLONG and the FOX MIRACLE. The miracle plug is for 4 strokes. Yes if I was limited to only one plug it would be the miracle plug. Just about everything in this hobby now is from JAPAN ,CHINA, TIAWAN , VIETNAM, AUSTRIA ,ECT. I take pride in using an american plug. I tune for the plug -not plug for the tune. I'm not sure if K&B are made in america but that would be my second choice. I get a kick out of my fellow members telling me you need alot more than 5% nitro and can't believe I'm running those crappy FOX plugs. This is their opion passed down from magazines and hobby stores. I have tried other plugs and yes they worked fine. But I choose FOX because of my wide veriaty of engine brands and sizes . I got 2 new magnum 4 strokes coming and they will see MIRACLE plugs. OK I vented-WHEW
To tell you the truth, I never gave it even a hint of a thought where the plug was manufactured and.....my local hobby shop does not carry them, therefore I have not tried any. True, I could order from Tower, but I generally get my field acessories from LHS. As I said in an earlier post...I'll give 'em a try. Just didn't agree with Buzz that anything will work in my engine. If that were true, then why would the RC industry manufacture glow plugs in all different styles and heat ranges?? Hmmm?[:-] For stubborn little rascaly engines like my ST! Anyway my issue has been resolved and I'm moving on to climb higher mountains. Thanks again, everyone.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:53 PM
NM2K

------------------

I ran Fox plugs for decades. Then I bought a full card of Fox plugs where half of them were DOA. That does something to you that never goes away.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Hobbsy

The only time I've had trouble with a Fox plug is when I accidently plug the Glow Driver cord into the 12 volt sockets on the Power Panel, the OSf is the only plug that will stand that.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:28 PM
speedster 1919

ED I did have 2 RCLONG plugs this year that worked one run and lost contact. I pitched the plugs and figired it was a bad batch. They last all season and I replace at the start of the year. If I get a new engine I breakin with the plug it came with and then switch to FOX or If I get a used engine I automaticly put a new FOX in it.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:46 PM
blw

Hobbsy-

The Saitos run well on the SS plugs when breaking them in. I pull them after the break in. I'm hearing more people speak well of the SS plugs in both 4 and 2 stroke engines. I have a few on hand now for replacing in my engines. They are about half the price of an OS F or 8. One guy at our field is running his Evolution .45 on a SS. I need to listen to it running as those run cold with an OS 8. He is good with engines and it sounds like the SS is hot enough from what he told me.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:08 AM
XJet
Banned

You guys can say what you want-But I stock only 2 plugs in my field box. They are the FOX RCLONG and the FOX MIRACLE.
Interesting -- I agree that the Fox RCLONG is a good plug, they work very well in my 60-90 sized 2-strokes.

However, the Miracle plug can't hold a candle to the OS-F when it comes to 4-stroke engines. The OS-F makes the needle less critical and allows a much lower idle on all my 4-stroke engines (Saito and Thunder Tiger).

The Miracle doesn't work well in any other engine I have either. In my ST90s it results in about 400 RPMs less on the top-end and a real rough mid-range when compared to a good old OS#8. The strange thing is that an OS-F works really well in the ST90, as does the OS#8.

So, unless I get a real good deal on the Fox RCLong, I just use OS#8 in my 2-strokes (really hard to beat and they last almost for ever) and OS-F in my 4-strokes (same longevity).

Mind you, I only run 5% nitro in my 2-strokes and 10% in my 4-strokes, that may have some bearing on things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.