Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
 What are your favorite engine features? >

What are your favorite engine features?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are your favorite engine features?

I want to get a list going of what everyone finds to be the best features on model aircraft engines. Basically what makes them the most user friendly, most powerfull, and generally better? Some possibility's to get you thinking:

Remote needle valves
Needle valves attached directly to carb
Air bleed carbs
Carbs w/ low speed needles
Long threaded portion of crankshaft
Ringed pistons
Plated cylinders
Slanted glow plugs
Fly weights
Styling (?)
power to weight
sound
fuel economy
Many more things I'm sure, but thats where you come it!

Lets try not to get to picky about weather the engine is a 2 or 4 stroke, large or small displacement, and just list the best engine features of all time.

Who knows, Maybe if we assemble a comprehensive list, the industry will pay attention and make better engines!
Old 03-12-2007, 03:50 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: What are your favorite engine features?

That they run reliably! If it comes with something like remote needle valve, twin needle carb or whatever makes not difference to me. It just gotta run.

Cheers,

Chip
Old 03-12-2007, 04:26 PM
My Feedback: (3)

There's no single set of design features that my favorite engines share. How they come to the balance of power, reliability, and value that I think of as ideal isn't necessarily something I can quantify. Plenty of people will list the expected attributes, but for any given application those listed attributes won't necessarily be part of the ideal engine choice.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey it's gotta run but I like the angled needle valves like those on the Thunder Tiger and OS 120 AX engines.
John
Old 03-12-2007, 06:14 PM

What are your favorite engine features
that it makes the spinny thing in front go around really fast....and it doesn't stop until I flip the switch
Old 03-12-2007, 11:26 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....pumped, supercharged, fuel injected engines from Japan that thrive on nitromethane.

FBD.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90270.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	641209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65225.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	641210  
Old 03-12-2007, 11:44 PM

I won't purchase an engine with a remote or if I do, I must know of a way to remove it or a carb replacement. Thunder Tiger had a good idea but never caught on anywhere else by a rearward angle of the needlevalve.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:22 AM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Happy Feet

I won't purchase an engine with a remote or if I do, I must know of a way to remove it or a carb replacement. Thunder Tiger had a good idea but never caught on anywhere else by a rearward angle of the needlevalve.
Same here.

I absolutely LOATHE remote needle valves. If I can't switch it to a regular carb needle valve--I won't buy it.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:16 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Looks doesn't mean a thing inside a cowl and some colored parts might clash with your color sceam. I like engines that allow front and rear needles with a hole and set screw to allow wire extentions and not have to solder a tube on the needle.An adjustable muffler is a plus.........
Old 03-13-2007, 06:33 AM

Look at OS new 120 AX it has the angled needle.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:05 AM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I completely ignore the carb mounted needle vs. the remote needle, fuel is solid and the needle will control the flow rate no matter whether it's mounted on the tank or on the carb, no diff. whatsoever. I have two applications where a Cline regulator is mounted on the carb and the needle at the backplate. The only issue with that setup is that the needle not leak because it is under pressure, I use MDS remote needles for those, they do not leak under pressure.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me the things that make for a good engine, one that might interest me, is firstly light weight. I'm baffled why you can have one .60 weighing ~12 ounces and another weighing close to 20. I prefer rear exhaust, it's neater, gives cleaner lines to the model, easy to use either a pipe or muffler. A carb that's of the correct size for the revs normally flown. High compression to take advantage of low or zero nitro. Timed for torque and not HP. Removeable (unhardened) stud for the crankshaft to save the crank from bending in the inevitable crash. Transfer hole(s) in the piston to help it's cooling and lubrication.

I can't think of any engine that meets all of this but some come close. The OS VF's come to mind (they're too heavy though) and one or two others.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:48 AM

One of my favorite features is on my Fox .15 that has knobs on both high and low speed needle valves. These can be turned easily with your fingers. No fumbling around the prop, trying to hit the slot with a tiny screwdriver, especially when the engine is running and you need to tweak it just a little bit... Another favorite feature of an engine is the ability to procure spare parts easily. Ross
Old 03-13-2007, 02:21 PM

THhnks for everyone's input! This is going really good!
Old 03-13-2007, 07:04 PM
AMB

Downunder think you nailed it and add the front angled carb ala TT it is one less piece of tubing to leak and ringed is nice too cheaper than piston and liner at rebuild time martin

Old 03-14-2007, 12:13 AM
My Feedback: (264)

I like my needle valves on the carb also, the angled ones that TT, Moki and others use are a plus.

I like the bronze glow plug threads that OS used to have and ST still does. They wear better.

I like the ST swing mufflers, after drilling out the rivet that holds the baffle and discarding them both. Their mufflers are still pretty quiet without the guts.

I hate OS and MDS mufflers that break in flight and lose their back halves in the tallest brush, never to be seen again!

I like YS fourstroke engines, their power and throttle response is a cut above all others. The price for this is they are thirsty and require premium glow fuels.

I like true ABC BB engines that dont cost a mint to purchase, like ST

I don't really like plastic parts on my engines, Throttle arms and perry carbs are okay, nothing else though.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:57 AM
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: JNorton

Hey it's gotta run but I like the angled needle valves like those on the Thunder Tiger and OS 120 AX engines.
John

------------

Yep, this is one of my favorite features. I don't like remote needle valves at all.

I like engines that come with a muffler, even if most folks buy a third party muffler in most uses. At least you can fly the engine on a Stik of some kind until you are familiar with it.

I like metal back plates - not plastic. In fact, that goes for all engine parts. They should be made of metal.

The crankshaft should have a long enough threaded portion so that an array of spinners can be used.

I like carbs with throat sizes that provide plenty of fuel suction without relying upon muffler pressure. I can live without a couple hundred rpm that I can't obtain anyway when flying because it will make the engine run too lean toward the end of the fuel tank.

I like engines made to run on 0 - 5% nitro as they come from the factory, but which include the necessary head shims needed to decrease the compression to run well on 15 - 20% nitro fuel.

I like engines with bushed connecting rods on both ends.

I like engines that are not too heavy for today's applications, but which aren't weak in any particular area. Particularly the exhaust flange area on four-strokes.

I like engines that are designed to quit when the throttle barrel is rotated far enough rearward.

I like engines that have no anodized or coated parts that look like crap with just a little normal handling.

This is just a few things.

Of course, this engine will have to handle like an OS and break-in quickly with a long, long parts availability period.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-15-2007, 02:05 PM

Bump for more opinions!!

I prefer needle valves that are safe, be it angled or remote. So far I have never had a problem with a remote needle.

I would like an engine that uses high quality socket head fasteners for everything, including the muffler and carb (are you reading, O.S.?). For some reason all my engines have at least one bolt that has stripped out.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:08 PM
My Feedback: (14)

------------

Look at the latest OS .55AX two-stroke.

Ed Cregger